diabetic cat - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

diabetic cat

Does anyone have a kitty that is on insulin shots? My mom's cat Ben has diabetes and requires a daily shot. The problem is that he hass sores on his sides. Is this part of the diabetes? Also they seem to come and go. He was just doing much better and the sores healed and even were growing hair back (he is a black cat and the new fur was orange?) Then all of the sudden the sores are back. My mother was wondering if it is the diabetes or if it is really something in her heating/air conditioning ducts. She noticed that when the heat and air were off he was better. She recently put the air on and now the sores are back. Is this the reason or is it the diabetes? He goes to the vets but she either forgets to ask about this or sshe doesn't remember all they tell her.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 02:36 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Are they essentially symmetrical and on either side?

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

No they seem to be scattered. When it gets really bad he looks so awful. My mom tells him if she had seen him on the street she would cross to the other side. I told her to be extra care he doesn't get out b/c people would assume he was diseased.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 05:28 PM

my cat is diabetic and he gets insulin twice a day... i dont have any issues at all with his skin... no sores or anything, and hes been diabetic for over a year
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Maybe he is allergic to something in my mom's ducts. He just looks so bad when they act up.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 09:14 AM

My friends cat had diabetes but never had these sores either.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 04:27 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Does he go outside or does your mom have animals that do? Some animals can have a severe flea allergy, causing hair loss, etc.

Stephanie

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

No he isn't allowed outside and neither is his "sister" sweetheart. It's not fleas. My mother would freak if they had fleas. Our kitty had a severe flea alleregy. We have been lucky. Our family only had fleas really badly once. When we had just 3 cats and before we knew about flea shots. It was awful and Kitty had a terrible reaction.
The last time there was a slight flea problem at my mom's house was probably 10 years ago. Not sure how but they mostly stuck to the cocker spaniels we had then. That was when I tried the "organic" way of getting rid of them. Now I have given into the chemical use.
But my mom has had the basement where the dogs were pretty much ripped out and redone - even the bottom of the walls. So I doubt she has fleas she doesn't know about. It's just so odd. The poor thing. Once she has her heater and airconditioner cleaned and all the vents cleaned I will let you know how he is doing. Oh my her house is 21 years old (wow I am getting old!) I guess she really should clean the vents out, huh?

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 10:49 AM
SwC

Your best bet is to discuss with the vet as it very well could be an allergy to just about anything. Maybe some basic allergy testing may be in order. Mine turned out allergic to corn products in the diet. She would get dermatitis resulting in her scratching almost constantly. One of the reasons I now have her on the chicken soup for the Cat lover's soul as there are absolutely no corn products in the ingredients. Since corn products were out of the diet the dermatitis has stopped entirely. It may not be something in the external enviroment but within her/his diet. Check ingredients and see if there is anything that could be of any allergy source.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Oh thanks. But I should have told you that he was on a special diet for allergies and now is on a special diet b/c of the diabetes. Right now it does not look like it's diet releated since he has had good and bad times on both foods.
We just feel so badly for the little guy. He is so darn skinny too! Probably not overly skinning as I tend to like my babies a bit on the plump side!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny

Tags
black cat, chicken soup, cocker spaniel, hair loss