Do your cats talk to you? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Miss New Booty

Do your cats talk to you?

I was wondering if anyone's cats talked to them, as I call it! Ginger and Smokie are very vocal. I say "Hi!" and talk to them and they meow back at me! It's so cute! Snuggles is pretty quiet, he will meow on occasion. Sometimes it even sounds like Ginger is saying "HI!" LOL!!!!

~* Jackie *~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 06:38 PM

Yep, all three of mine are talkative. Oliver of course talks the most. He loves it when I make a big deal out of him and talk baby talk. He meows back and gets all excited. He also meows and purrs when I'm getting ready to leave because he doesn't want me to go! When I come home he meows for like 10 minutes and I feel like he's saying "Mommy, your back! Why did you leave me?"

My cat Tiger is the "whiney one." He whines over everything. He also meows when he's happy and he meows every time I go in the bathroom and don't let him in with me!

Pookie is the least talkative but when he wants attention he meows a lot. He has a very high pitched "girly" meow and we tease him about it. Thats one of the reasons why we call him Pookie (his real name is Sneakers). My cats also talk to each other all the time. They make all kinds of sounds and call to each other. Its pretty cool!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 07:53 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Wanda talks back. She's very vocal. I remember when I had Midnight he would always talk back also. All my other kitties were silent.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 08:51 PM

Maile is a talker, too. Especially in the mornings. It's like she's saying, "Hi! Did you sleep well? I slept WONDERFULLY! Have you eaten yet? I just did. I need more food now, please? Can we play before lunch? I want to have a nap after lunch."
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 08:51 PM

Mine are very vocal. They never used to be, but since they are older, they have gotten more vocal. I swear my one cat Strawberry has an alarm clock built inside of him, for when it's time to eat. My cats are fed at 6am and 6pm. At 5:45 I hear meowing in my ear and if I could speak feline, it would sound like, "get up mom, I'm hungry". It's the same way in the evening for dinner too. It's always the same time, 5:45 he will start meowing to eat. It's cute. Then my other one, Bandit will start, and it's like hey are singing for their food. But the meowing doesn't stop there, after they've eaten, it's every time you walk into the kitchen they think they are going to get food, so they start meowing again.....so we rush out of the kitchen. They meow to be pet when we sit and watch TV, or are at the computer, at least Bandit does that. I don't mind, Bandit will then sit on my lap...at the computer it's hard to type sometimes, but entertaining
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 09:00 PM

Tigger is very talkative -- especially when she wants the water facet turned on.

Miss Bennett only talks when she wants treats. She has a deep voice.

Moonpie has a pathetic meow which she only uses to get your attention.

Nutmeg only meows when she wants attention and it is very soft.

Bean is a kitten and apparently incapable of meowing ... no sound comes out.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 09:55 PM

Gosh yes! Allen talks up a blue streak when its feeding time! Then when he decides that he wants to be petted, he walks up to my husband and meows VERY loudly and insistantly.

Pouncer talks all day long. He will meow to me in the middle of the night. no particular reason... I open my eyes to see him staring at me, I tell him hi and pat him on the head. He's happy and walks away, I fall back asleep. He likes to hang out in the basement, and when I call him, he comes running with a little "hello" meow. He has the cutest little chirpy meow that lets us know he's looking for trouble and a sinister sounding cackle when he's chasing a moth/fly/mosquito.

Lastly, my cell phone's ring is set to meow! Hubby and the kids don't know if it the cats or my phone. But *I* know. It sounds COMPLETELY different!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 10:40 PM

I think the more you talk to cats, the more talkative they become. Oliver wasn't as vocal when I first found him but now he listens to me and talks back too.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 10:57 PM

My old Tuxedo Neuka used to talk to me all the time! He thought I could understand him He'd be out most of the day and every night just as we climbed into bed, he would be at the bedroom window going "Mau-rau?" It sounded like a question Like "Hello?" Then one night he didn't do that...it's been 3 years now since I've seen him...I put flyers up all over the neighborhood and no one ever called...I found his collar in the yard 2 days later but never saw him again I miss my Neuker-kitty!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 11:27 PM

Varuca will sit and stare at me and I'll ask her "what!?" And she meows at me. Sometimes she wakes me up by yelling in my face and sometimes she walks through the house howling with her toy in her mouth. She is very vocal and apparently has a lot to say. Eve doesn't say much but she purrs a lot which tells me everything.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 03:09 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

All three of mine are "talkers" and they each have their own style!

Abby - the oldest and smallest of the 3 - she does a "mrrow ow ow" - she also drools when she gets happy feat on my arm or belly and her razor sharp claws hurt! Her purr sounds like a broken motor! She's even more vocal if I greet her on "her territory" - the deck She'll head-butt - "mrrrow ow ow" at me and rub on me all over. Silly girl.

Sammie - omg Sammie is my velcro cat (I usually say she's my 'roid ) she has a weak "mmmlllow" and her tongue hangs out when she does it! She talks to me with her "mlllow" and on the "ow" part is when the tongue hangs out... it's too funny!

Paulie Walnuts - OMG he has such a high-pitch baby voice!! His is more a "arr ow ow ow ow" REAL high pitch - he talks when he wants attention or to get in or out of a door that is closed.

They ALL talk when their dry food bowl is empty - I free feed the dry food. Every so often I give them wet food as a treat - OR - an extra special treat is a pouch of people tuna - they go bonkers - all talking in their different voices at the same time....

Cats are silly!!!

[center]

[
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2004, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Miss New Booty

Awww cute stories everyone!!!!!! Ok mine aren't the only *talkers* then!
Oh ofcourse there is the *I see something* meooow!! Like a lizard, bug, etc. LOL! Then you see their little tails moving! They love to hang out by the back door and look outside all day!
They LOVE the red laser light toy. Well Smokie and Ginger do. Snuggles wants nothing to do with it! Ginger and Smokie do the *i see something* meow when they see the light! They will be sleeping and just hear us pick it up from across the house!!! lol!

~* Jackie *~

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2004, 07:48 PM

Flip constantly talks to you. If I'm watching a comedy on TV she'll meow when the laugh reel comes on. Flop on the other hand... I think the only times I've heard her meow was in the car and when I accidentally closed her in the closet when she went exploring.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 02:24 PM

My cat Kitty can be talkitive, especially if she wants food or if she wants to sit on your lap. Okie-Dokie is probably the most talkitive one in the house, though. He meows most at night when he wants back outside (I normally just take him to my room instead of letting him out at night, though. He doesn't meow to be let outside when he's in my room sleeping with me), when he wants your attention for food or scritches and when he's playing. My little sister's cat, Angel, rarely meows, though.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 02:26 PM
Poo dont scare me!!!

Yep...Gabby will meow at you very seldom...like when she wants pet or else when her dish is empty, every once in a while she will meow when you talk to her, but not too often...Jade on the other hand will meow away while you pet her. She is a big purr-er too. Gabby never purs...she is just a snob...lol.

Tags
dry food, food bowl, wet food