Doesn't like the new litter box??? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
Miss New Booty

Question Doesn't like the new litter box???

Ok... so a few months back or so we got this really cool thing, called a Litter Robot, thing cost $300 or so. It's this litter dome thing... I was worried since my kitties never had a top, they wouldn't like it. They seemed to adjust fine... until some pee on the floor. We observed Snuggles do it soon after. After trying excessively to clean the carpet, get smells out, he'd pee some where else. But, he would go poop in his box? I called my vet on it, she keeps telling me that some cats get mad, or he could be scared of it, but why is he going in it and just peeing occasionally on the floor then? She said if I was still concered, bring him in for a urine culture to see if it could be an infection. I said, ok, Im going to try to put my old box back in. There was no more pee on the floor, atleast I didn't see any, but the room reaked, I don't know that box just smelled horrible. (The litter robot is a self cleaning thing, dumps it to the bottom below the box into a bag )From us with all these animals in an apt, people would come in and say "You can't tell there is animals in here!" to now this room making the house smell. We had to buy linoleum and cut it to fit over the carpet, so they wouldn't pee on the carpet anymore, it's staining. It was fine, then a week later, I said "ok, time to try taking the regular box BACK out. Just have the dome" The next morning, pee on the floor....*sigh* Ok., then I witnessed Snugs climbing in and going pee right in front of us... so which cat is it?? I thought it was him, now I don't know for sure. We were actually gonna set up a camera at night and see who did it ! Im going to the vet in like 10 days for Ginger and Snuggles 1 yr check up. Do you think I should be concerned about an infection (we are gonna definalty be talking about it again) or do you think hes p/o about the dome thing, but only does it some of the time? *SIGH AGAIN* The pee is only next to the box, or near it, not in any other room. I just don't get it, the only time there was ever pee on the floor before is if the box "wasn't scooped enough to their satisfaction" we never had any probs what so ever. I think someone (Snugs) hates this box, which is ashame, it was expensive and very cool. What does anyone think? Mad cat ?

~* Jackie *~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 05:42 AM

I don't have anything helpful to add, but I wanted to pipe in and say that you have the patience of a saint! I would have had a stuffed kitty long ago if I were in your shoes!
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 11:38 AM

Can you take the top off the box? Some cats just dont like a top on the box. Mine dont at all. I had just regular box with one of those tops with the little air freshener thingy in there and they refused to use it. I took the top off and they were fine. Im thinking that you cant take the top off?....Im sure you would have by now, sounds like you've tried everything else! Yep, I think you just have a picky kitty that doesnt want to use that box! It is a shame for the money you spent on it!

Oh, One more thing I just thought of.....did you have to change to a different type of little especially for that box? Most of those things use scoopable litter, and if you used regular litter in the past and changed over, this may be the reason. Cats dont like certain types of litters....will only use what they are used to. Mine will not use regular clay litter....they only like the scoopable kind, but other cats are just the opposite....like plain litter and not the scoopable stuff.

Good Luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 11:59 AM
Obsessed With Turtles

Hmm... I am by no means a cat expert, but it sounds to me like you have a protest going on. If it only pees on the carpet when the dome box is in place but not with the old box, then I would have to say that for some reason they don't like the new one?? Maybe it doesn't quite scoop it as clean as mommy does?? Does the top of the new litter box come off? if it does maybe you could try that & see what happens?
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Miss New Booty

Thank you guys all SO much for your help! I really appreciate it. More and more I think hes mad, lol. I just want to be sure it's not a urinary prob. Well, ya I wish I could take off the top, but it's actually part of the box. It rotates..actually here is the link, take a look, it'll be easier for ya'll to picture, lol.

http://www.litter-robot.com/
Yah, Angel, I thought about the litter changing as well, but I have actually rotated sand and clay the whole time, they don't seem to mind either. With this one, we use sand so everything can clump and go under it.Every time they go, 7 min later it cleans and cycles, so it's always clean. *sigh* I think hes just mad, I wish I knew for sure it was him. I need to get my b/f in gear here and get the camera hooked up, or if that will even work. Here we are trying to catch our kitties. It's so hard having more than one, b/c you have no idea which one is doing what, ya know?
lol.
Thanks again! I just wish I knew why he would go sometimes on the floor, like once every other day. ( assuming its him for sure) Or jeese maybe its all of them getting mad, LOL. Hmmm.. I think tonight when we clean, we will try their regular box again, and see how it goes. Prob is, then they all go back in the regular box again and not use the robot as much
Thanks guys!

~* Jackie *~

post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 11:14 PM

Does he look like he is straining when peeing? If not, then it is probably more of a 'tude problem. Wouldn't hurt to get it checked out though. And like everyone else said, maybe it's the dome thing.

Did you try cleaning the carpet with Nature's Miracle? Some people swear by that stuff. Others say to use white vinegar. Good luck!
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 01:57 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

I dunno- I may be nuts here but am I right in thinking he's the only male cat?
It very well might be the change and it scares him or he hates it but - it also might be that the new box scoops so often that his *scent* is being removed and the peeing on the floor next to it is his way of *marking* - and saying -"hey, I'm top kitty here and my pee has to hang around to let everyone else know!"
I had an older version of that kind of box called Litter Maid. It had no top though. It got ruined when the slop sink next to my washing machine got plugged and overflowed
It's a great invention!
I hope you figure out how to solve the problem 'cause I'm with Becki... stuffed kitty!!

[center]

[
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Miss New Booty

Thanks guys
Hmm Pigsterz... the few times I have seen him go, he looks pretty normal, I will keep a close eye on all for any type of straining, thou. We tried the Nature's Miracle, it seemed to work great.. until pee again in another spot *sigh* White vinegar.. hmm haven't tried that!
Deja- You've got me thinking here. Well.. Snuggles isn't the only boy, Smokie is as well..BUT that is an interesting point. Snuggles was my only cat for his first year, then I brought Ginger home. Maybe it is a territory thing, and since it rotates and cleans, his smell is missing? Very interesting... Yes, I know the Littermaid thing! Apparently we needed something with no top, had I known he was going to protest this much.
This is nasty, but all cat urine smells pretty bad right? I'm sure the strong smell is b.c he peed out of the box. We put linoleum over the carpet to save the carpet from being totally ruined. (Putting rugs and mats under it wasn't working, pee on there too)
I wiped it up the other day with a paper towel and it just smelled horrible. I didn't know if that could be a sign of infection as well, or it all smells that bad? lol. From what I read it all smells very strong with amonia smell, but who knows?
Thank u all!!

~* Jackie *~

post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 10:49 PM

Nothing worse than cat pee smell. And if it permeated the padding and under, oh best of luck. I know! I can attest. A few years ago Lozie got a UTI and I caught her peeing on the carpet. Well, even after cleaning it up real good & trying everything, the boys decided it was a free-for-all. And thus began our battle with cat pee. It was really bad. The poor guys who changed the carpet, they must've been talking about us for days after.

We never did find a solution. Except we moved to a new place.
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 02:32 AM

I use Simple Solution for all feline "accidents". It really works for me. Anyway, Kittygurl, maybe it is not the litterbox but the cat litter. My sis left her cat with me along with her own litterbox, but to my surprise the cat started using my cats' box. So I just changed the litter and voila, she moved back to her own box.
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 11:08 AM

Are your males neutered? If they aren't then the smell is enough to burn your eyes out. If they are neutered then someones just got really strong pee and as Deja said is marking. I use a littermaid box but I only have two cats, I think it works great. I was afraid of bringing the second cat in that if the litter wasn't clean at all times I would face the same problem you have now. With multiple cats it really doesn't make it more convenient since I still need to clean nearly everyday but it keeps the kitties happy with a clean box everytime.
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 11:26 AM

Ooooh! Here's an idea. I was checking out the site for the robot litter box and reading the testimonials and someone mentioned having the same problem from using the littermaid box and upon getting the robot box she sprayed it with Feliway. Feliway is a spray that uses a derivative of pheromones to modify behavior. It is supposed to control marking, creates a calming affect and makes the cat feel safe. This is a lot cheaper than chucking a good machine and may help. I think they make Feliway in plug ins too now. Hold on I will get you a couple of links (like you're on the phone with me )

Feliway Link

Plug in Feliway on Fosters and Smith site

And as a side not I was looking for the plug in ones (I saw them in Dr. Foster and Smith) for anyone with dogs they have plug in pheromones for them too!
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 11:46 AM

Yes its me again! I am still reading the site ready to call my husband to see if he'll let me order one As I was reading I found some good tips for "if your cat doesn't like the box"

2. Getting your cat to use the Litter-Robot™:

In most cases cats will quickly adapt to a new litter box, however if your cat protests, here are some suggestions that may help:

To avoid unnecessarily frightening your cat, leave Litter-Robot unplugged until you are sure your cat is using it regularly. Clean cycles can be run by simply plugging in Litter-Robot.
Try enticing your cat into the globe with cat treats or cat nip. Hold the treat or nip through one of the waste ports allowing the cat to enter through the entry/exit opening. This will your cat become familiar with the interior of the globe. Note: This is not possible with the Kick’n Kitty guards installed.
If your cat protests by urinating somewhere outside of the litter box there is no reason to continue the 'cold turkey' approach. Bring back the old litter box, but leave the Litter-Robot out as well. By letting the old litter box get full it may motivate your cat to migrate to the cleaner litter in the Litter-Robot. You can also gradually move the old litter box closer to the Litter-Robot helping your cat get used to the presence of the Litter-Robot.
Cats love empty cardboard boxes. You can try covering the Litter-Robot with the cardboard box it came in. Cut an opening in the side of the box to match the entry/exit opening in the globe and cut a notch in the bottom for access to the drawer. Note: Leave the Litter-Robot unplugged while covered with the box. You can run a supervised clean cycle by simply plugging it in and waiting for it to finish and then unplug it again. Please refer to the picture below for cut-out ideas:

Source
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Miss New Booty

Hi!!! Thank u soooo much!
Dena!! Thank you so much for all that info!!! I have never heard of that Feliway, sounds cool!!! Like we are on the phone! lol! I might have to get some of that!!! This Litter Robot is totally neat, though! I just wish I knew who was peeing, I'm pretty sure it's Snuggles, but not positive. I see Ginger and Smokie go in it, and Snuggles,too, but he is the one I witnessed going on the floor and the one I thought that would hate it, so I'm assuming its him. Then last night, Brad emptied the bottom out, and then an hour there was pee outside of the room door this time! Yes, they are both neutered. We didn't put the old box back in yet, when we did before, they all started using the old box again for the most part, even if we didn't scoop it for a few days, like the article suggested (About how they will migrate to the clean box) Not my cats, they are weird LOL. Maybe not letting it cycle a few times, so the scent stays in? Reverse what the article said, since my cats prefered the old box with stuff in it? If I am reading right, I can spray this Feliway in the Robot, like the girl having problems did? Yes, my cats love the cardboard boxes, that is sure an interesting way, too. Well when we first brought it home, we left it unplugged and had the old box in for a week, then we gradually took it out. Then the peeing began. Do some cats just hate the covered boxes??
Did u tell your husband about it yet? lol. You gotta get it! I love it!This thing is just so neat, I just have a picky kitty. They sure do have a mind of their own!!!

Yayi- hmmm I have never heard of Simple Solution, cool. Where do you get it? I have always used Tidy Cats or Arm and Hammer litter both clay and sand. They are used to both, so I don't think its the litter That totally makes sense thou.

Pigsterz- ahhhh I can only imagine how that must've smelled, how terrible Well what happened is, they peed on the carpet, and we had to save the carpet(we are renting), and mats and things weren't working. We used Natures Miracle and resolve and steam cleaned the carpet. We decided to put the linoleum "over" it, so it wouldn't get on the carpet any more. If we had our choice, this place would be all tile with the animals. It actually didn't go thru the linoleum...thank goodness. BUT I think they pulled up a corner and got it under there on the carpet again Those poor guys who changed your carpet! Good solution, you moved out!!

~* Jackie *~

post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 07:43 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by kittygurl823

Yayi- hmmm I have never heard of Simple Solution, cool. Where do you get it? I have always used Tidy Cats or Arm and Hammer litter both clay and sand. They are used to both, so I don't think its the litter That totally makes sense thou.

Hi again kittygurl823! Sorry I meant I use Simple Solution to clean off the pee or whatever OUTSIDE the box. It's a stain and odor remover.I got it in Petco.I use Arms & Hammer litter too!

Tags
cardboard box, cardboard boxes, dog bed, feline pine, litter box, litter boxes, male cat