Don't know what to do - FeLV - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Unhappy Don't know what to do - FeLV

We recently adopted a new kitten from a shelter to be a friend with our other cat who is 1 1/2. Sadly, although he tested negative at the shelter for FeLV, we found out a month after he has been with us that he is positive.

It's a heart breaking situation and Ive spent days crying and no sleep trying to figure out what to do.

The two cats are best buddies now. I've tried to keep them seperate but they will go to the door and scratch and cry for eachother.

We are trying to find him a loving home, but its hard to find someone who wants a FeLV kitten. We also don't know how the other cat will react when he looses his friend.

I've started to think about just keeping him. I know that may sound like a horrible idea, but he needs a home, he has his friend here, he will be happy here. My other cat has been vaccinated for the disease, I realize he can still get it. I feel like my options are to:

(a) either give the kitten up, break the bond between not only us but also my other cat... not knowing how my cat will react to this situtation. If I can't find a home for him he would probably go to a shleter who will probably euthanize (sp) him. or

(b) keep him and run the risk that my other cat will become sick too. But they will be happy living their lives together.

Which is worse... I don't know.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? The kitten will be retested in a month... I pray every day that it wll clear his system, but I think in kittens that is rare.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 02:38 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Oh, how sad. I know you have probably researched already, but I did some research also and found this pretty informative.
http://www.peteducation.com/article....1+2134&aid=211

It said that many postives are "False Postives" which is hopeful. However it also stated that it is possible to test neg, and then pos. later.

I honestly don't know what I'd do in your situation. I am really torn for you. Please keep us updated on the kitties.

Mandy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Happily owned by:
Baby--female calico kitty
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Mr. Squeakers--male guinea pig
Phineas--male guinea pig

RIP Patches. You were the sweetest hamster I've ever known. There will never be another like you.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP sweet little Bugsy. We didn't know you long, but we loved more than you could have known. Sleep sweet little one.

RIP little Sammy. Thanks for 2 and a half wonderful years! You had a long happy life and we miss you more than you know. Play hard, sweetie...

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thank you for the link. I had researched a bit, but this site had more information that I did not know. I will keep everyone updated.

Right now the kittes are just sleeping next to eachother. I've been letting them play together today, since tomorrow we may try to seperate them in different households until the kitten can be tested again in 30 days.

Bernie (the kitten infected) has the symptoms dead on ... chronic diarreah, some days he is very fatigued and runs a low fever. On those days he will also puke. We have had both tests done, the flash test and the more extensive test. Both were positive which means the disease is active in his blood. What I don't know is if he can clear it. The vet is supposed to call me in the morning..... thats my only hope at this point.

Last edited by mianiro; 12-11-2008 at 03:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 08:10 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

My heart breaks for you and the situation. I hope he can clear it, poor kitties...
Let me know what the vet says in the morning.

Mandy

Happily owned by:
Baby--female calico kitty
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Mr. Squeakers--male guinea pig
Phineas--male guinea pig

RIP Patches. You were the sweetest hamster I've ever known. There will never be another like you.

RIP sweet little Bugsy. We didn't know you long, but we loved more than you could have known. Sleep sweet little one.

RIP little Sammy. Thanks for 2 and a half wonderful years! You had a long happy life and we miss you more than you know. Play hard, sweetie...

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Well Bernie has roundworm as well. So I'm taking care of that right now and the vet suggested an immune system booster... like some vitamins. So I'm going to start that once the roundworm is gone. I'm hoping the diarreah is from the roundworm. Once that is cleared maybe he can devote his whole immune system to the FeLV and kick it. He will go back in 45 days for tests.

I still can't find anyone to adopt him, so I have him living with my other cat for now. I just keep food/water bowls in seperate rooms and I keep the initimate contact to a minimum. I try to keep them away from eachother the best I can. For now that is all I can do... try my best.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-24-2008, 04:44 PM
Newborn Pup

Aw, that's terrible, I'm so sorry for you and your kitties.

I'm sure if it were me in your shoes, I probably wouldn't be able to give up the kitten, despite the circumstances. If nothing else, perhaps you could keep the kitten, so he has a home, but then separate him from your other cat. (Give them separate rooms?) It would still be a sad arrangement for them, but at least the kitten would have somewhere to stay.

Good luck to your kitten : (

Tags
felv