Driving me crazy! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Angry Driving me crazy!

I love my precious babies to pieces (3 cats), but 2 of them have developed bad litterbox habits so that no matter what we do, the house ALWAYS stinks! I almost posted this under "Vents and Rants" cause I really don't know if there's ANYTHING you can do for it, but in case someone has an idea, or at least can sympathize with me, here it is under "Cats". Quinnie, my 17 year-old, is still very healthy and no problems, but she steps into the box, and pees all over the outside. I've had to load it with stacks of newspaper by the opening to catch it and change it 2-3 times a day. Lucy, my 8 year-old "FatCat" mostly uses the box (but won't cover it) but at times, she'll do her business right beside the box, or somewhere else in the room. I keep their boxes CLEAN, so I know that isn't the issue. I bought 2 big, deep storage tubs and cut an opening because in regular height boxes, Lucy will stand straight up to pee and it goes right out on the wall or floor. I've tried so many things, sometimes it keeps me up at night. It smelled so bad back here, (yes, folks, I'm so lucky to have my computer back here) that we removed half the carpet that she had been peeing on. There's tile under it, so if she does it, it's easier to clean it up. But this evening after my usual twice a day thorough cleaning, she sat right down on the carpetted part of the room and peed. I nearly screamed. WHAT CAN I DO???

~Amy~ Mom to Lucy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Forever in our hearts...
Mina, Psyche, Puff, Bootsy, Tommy, Sooner, Quinnie, and Lucky.

~and last but not least, my bunbun Roger~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 10:15 PM
RAT ADDICT

When cats start peeing outside the box,it could mean the start of an UTI.Have they always had bad box habits? Or is this new?
How many boxes do you have? The "rule" should be one box per cat,plus an extra one.How often do you clean the boxes? Some cats will not use dirty boxes.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 10:25 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Hehe!! My mom (Tommycat) is absolutely OCD about cleaning the boxes!! Dirty boxes is def. not the issue!!! The UTI theory is interesting though. What are some other symptoms of a UTI in a cat? My cat has started pooping beside the box--even after it's just cleaned! I think they just like to make us crazy because they know they can!!

Mandy

Happily owned by:
Baby--female calico kitty
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Mr. Squeakers--male guinea pig
Phineas--male guinea pig

RIP Patches. You were the sweetest hamster I've ever known. There will never be another like you.

RIP sweet little Bugsy. We didn't know you long, but we loved more than you could have known. Sleep sweet little one.

RIP little Sammy. Thanks for 2 and a half wonderful years! You had a long happy life and we miss you more than you know. Play hard, sweetie...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

I have 3 boxes. Lucy and Lucky fight so I've always kept them separated by putting a screen door dividing the house in half. Quinnie's been getting in the box, but peeing over the edge for about a year, no matter which part of the house she's in. Lucy seems to be fine if she's in the back part of the house where the box is in the laundry room. It's just in the front in the computer room where she goes wherever. If she uses the box, as soon as she's done, she runs out of the box so quick, sometimes she drags part of the poop with her, and then "scoots" on the carpet. But I keep the boxes clean (1-2 times a day) and once a month I dump it all, scrub the boxes, and start fresh. She's been doing it for awhile, too. When they have a UTI, don't they just dribble? I can't remember but I had cats in the past that did that. I've always used the same litter, too, no changes. Thanks for responding!

~Amy~ Mom to Lucy

Forever in our hearts...

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 10:49 AM
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommycat View Post
I have 3 boxes. Lucy and Lucky fight so I've always kept them separated by putting a screen door dividing the house in half. Quinnie's been getting in the box, but peeing over the edge for about a year, no matter which part of the house she's in. Lucy seems to be fine if she's in the back part of the house where the box is in the laundry room. It's just in the front in the computer room where she goes wherever. If she uses the box, as soon as she's done, she runs out of the box so quick, sometimes she drags part of the poop with her, and then "scoots" on the carpet. But I keep the boxes clean (1-2 times a day) and once a month I dump it all, scrub the boxes, and start fresh. She's been doing it for awhile, too. When they have a UTI, don't they just dribble? I can't remember but I had cats in the past that did that. I've always used the same litter, too, no changes. Thanks for responding!

With a UTI the "dribbling" phase is late into disease and is caused by swelling of the ureter. From what you are describing I would suspect intestinal parasites, not just the following UTI/Litter box issue.
When was their last stool culture done? (They can pick up parasites by simply eating a rogue house cricket, so no guilt...ok?) I would make a vet visit soon...especially with the elevated age of your cat. There is concern for debilitating renal failure with delay of treatment....cats are naturally discreet animals, so they are telling you something is wrong.
I will keep you in my thoughts and check in on this thread...

What does not kill you makes you stronger.

4.8.16.3 Crested Gecko
2.0 Leopard Gecko
1.3 Domestic Cat
0.2 Golden Retriever
1.1 Prairie Dog
0.1 Cory Cat
2.1 Beautiful Children
1.0 Patient Husband
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 12:00 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

my cat tia started peeing outside the box and on soft surfaces because she had a UTI.
We didn't get it until there was blood in her pee! We saw it because she peed on a white blanket.
I think they pee on soft surfaces because they think it will hurt less than peeing on gravel... and also to show us something's wrong!
I say bring her to the vet for a check up!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 04:07 PM
RAT ADDICT

Another symptom of an UTI is crying/meowing when they pee,as it hurts.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Thanks for the info, everybody. Looks like I'll have to be visiting the vet again. We just discovered Lucky is diabetic, so he's costing us a fortune...bad time for the other 2 to get sick, too!

~Amy~ Mom to Lucy

Forever in our hearts...

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 05:30 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I agree that the UTI sounds like a pretty accurate assumption, but why does Lucy only pee on the floor in the computer room? She uses other boxes just fine!

Mandy

Happily owned by:
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Phineas--male guinea pig

RIP Patches. You were the sweetest hamster I've ever known. There will never be another like you.

RIP sweet little Bugsy. We didn't know you long, but we loved more than you could have known. Sleep sweet little one.

RIP little Sammy. Thanks for 2 and a half wonderful years! You had a long happy life and we miss you more than you know. Play hard, sweetie...

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 07:12 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Here is another thought, my old girl Cleo used to sometimes go outside of the box and you know the reason? She didn't use the scented litter or like ti at all. Once we got regular litter she was fine. I hope you solve your problem!

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 11:09 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Hmmm. Now that you mention that, Baby doesn't like the scented litter either. What kind of litter do you use, Mom?

Mandy

Happily owned by:
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Phineas--male guinea pig

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

I use Tidy Cats in the red & yellow jug. I lined the big box with just newspaper since Lucy has NEVER scratched in her litterbox. She's always done her business and then ran like her life was in danger. I was reading a cat forum and they recommended to dump and wash your boxes with an enzyme cleaner and scrub brush EVERY WEEK! I just do it once a month, and usually use dish soap or a mild cleaner. What do y'all do?

~Amy~ Mom to Lucy

Forever in our hearts...

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 12:14 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

I usually do it once a month too...I know that you are supposed to do it weekly, but to me it is a waste of litter because I have a two huge litter boxes. I use lysol wipes and clean the sides every week. Every week my cat box is still pretty clean! I know the litter that you are talking about, and it has odor control. That never seemed to bother my cats, only the scented ones

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie