eating kitty litter - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-20-2005, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

eating kitty litter

I wonder if anyone has any information regarding cats eating kitty litter. I have several cats, and recently started using crystal kitty litter which is made of silica..... my four year old Oscar has been extremely ill for the past week, and currently at the vets.
They say he has been poisoned, I know he was eating the kitty litter, and anaemic cats do this - yes he is anaemic.... his pcv is down to 7, has had numerous meds, iv fluids, and force fed.....
He rarely goes outside, but wondered if he had picked up a bait or if the kitty litter has done something to him.
I am waiting for the vet to ring me this afternoon, but feel I will make the heart breaking decision to put him to sleep.....I have spent $1200, (not that that is an issue) but he doesnt seem to be getting better.
Any ideas urgently needed...... you can email me direct if you wish; [email protected]
Many thanks
Lynda and gang.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-20-2005, 11:54 PM

I am so sorry sweetie, this must be an awful time for you and I want you to know you are not alone. We are all here for you and we will do all we can to help and support you no matter what.

I wish I had some good advice for you, but I am afraid I don't. I know our kittens first started eating the cat litter but then stopped and they never got sick...but that doesn't really mean much does it? I really wish I could help more butI am clueless on this one.

I do hope the vet can help, and that you wont have to consider putting Oscar to sleep. I know this must be awful for you...and I just want to say I am here if you ever need someone to talk too.

Sending lots of good vibes and a friendly hug your way.

Eva x
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-20-2005, 11:56 PM
I'm A Blonde At Heart

I dont know much about this, but i know that when someone is annemic they need iron. Could you give a cat iron suppliments? I do know that eating cat litter is bad if its the clumping hind it doesnt digest in there body very well i dunno if it clumps in there stumic. When you get your cat back maybe there some other non harmful litter you can try. I know a lot of people i have talked use pine chips but i know some people on here keeps saying its bad so i dont know maybe someone on here can give you some better advice. There are also litters that are made out of paper and wheat. I hope someone can give you some better advice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

Thank you both very much, I will let you know what happens but I have a gut feeling that the decision will be made to put him to sleep....... he seems to have made that decision for himself....I will wait till I hear from the vet this afternoon.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 01:14 AM Thread Starter

Just to let all those who contacted me re Oscar that he has now gone to Pussy Cat Heaven... He was not progressing at all, took him off the fluids and he went downhill within 24 hours...So I made the painful decision to put him to sleep this afternoon as we had tried for a week to no avail.
Thank you all for your support.
Lynda and the gang.
South Australia
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 09:48 AM
Aspires to Change Oil

I'm so sorry to hear about Oscar. I sincerely hope he makes a turn around and is able to come home as his own happy, healthy self. I know it must be a very difficult time. I can not offer any advice about his health or anything. I would like to say though, that sometimes the hardest decisions we have to make are the rights ones. I'll try sending over some healing vibes to Oscar and keep you all in my thoughts.

, [username] .
are you new member? have questions?

Feel free to PM or IM me.
Contacts are my profile.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 01:06 PM
I'm A Blonde At Heart

I am so sorry about oscar

Tags
kitty litter