Eek! Worms! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2004, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Eek! Worms!

When I got Oliver 3 months ago, he came with tons of fleas and worms. I took him to the vet and had him dewormed, and I also bought Frontline Plus and put it on all three cats. Well apparently the cats were still able to eat fleas with worms in them because the other day I found a dried up tapeworm on my cat Pookie's behind. This morning I found a LIVE one on the computer desk!!! It must have been from Oliver because he's the one that sits up here. Ugh, its soooo gross. It makes me itch all over and feel like they're everywhere! They probably are because the cats lay on everything-the couch, the BED. I know its just part of having cats, but its disgusting!

Well I went to the vet the other day and got worm pills for all three cats and more Frontline Plus. I haven't done it yet because I'm dreading trying to give that pill. Now that I've seen that live worm, we are doing the pills and Frontline as soon as Mike gets home! Ugh, I feel like I need to take a shower.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rats have rights...& mice too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2004, 12:29 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Thanks for the disgusting visual. Good luck!

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2004, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

LOL. Sorry Jade! I just had to share my wonderful experience.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2004, 06:37 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Looks like I won't be eating any dinner tonight!

Rhonda

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2004, 06:42 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Great weight loss insentive...whenever I start getting hungry, I'll read this thread!

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2004, 06:47 PM
Miss New Booty

Oh no!!!!! Poor kitties!! Did Mike get home yet to give them the pills??

You guys! Mandie!!!

~* Jackie *~

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2004, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Sorry, I didn't mean to gross you out! I figured you guys have seen all that stuff before! Jackie, he's not home yet but he will be soon

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 02:43 PM
Adolescent Pup

Exclamation

did you get the drontal pill the first time you found the worms? if you used the liquid medicine called strongid plus, that only kills roundworms (the little spaghetti or macaroni looking ones). if you have tape worms (the come out like little pieces of rice), you need to use drontal. drontal is a broad spectrum de-wormer that comes in pill form and works wonders! drontal is the ONLY thing i use for my cattery and i have even found it to be safe for pregnant and lactating queens. just make sure that you repeat the dose in 3 weeks so you don't end up with a re-infestation. the drontal kills the adults, but not the eggs so you have to kiil the eggs when they hatch so that they don't end up laying new eggs that will hatch into more worms.

PS-Ask your vet for a pill giver so that it's easier to give the kitty the pill. I never use anything but a pill giver because it is sooooooooo easy and my kitties respond really well to it!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Oliver received an injection at the vet's along with all of his shots. He had a lot of flea's though so there were probably some in the apartment still. We put frontline on all three cats but they may have eaten the fleas before we did that. I'm not sure what the pills I just gave them were called, but I got them from the vet. I also put Frontline on all three cats again. We'll see what happens! I haven't seen any more worms so hopefully it worked!

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 03:27 PM
Adolescent Pup

sprinkle salt on your carpet and leave it there all day. vaccum it up at the end of the night and the fleas will be dead. it sure beats nasty chemicals and it really works! in fact, when you hire a company to come de-flea your house, that's what they use so why pay the extra bucks when you can just salt your house on your own? the frontline plus is awesome too! i use it for all of my girls!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2004, 06:39 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

For fleas, I find CAPSTAR is the best thing ever. It's a pill which you give to your animal once a day. My yorkie had a very bad problem with flea infestation and we used Capstar on him once a day for two weeks. After that, there were NO fleas and we would just give him a pill once a month. It also worked wonders on my cat Gerona when she got fleas from Laddie.

Drontal is very good for tapeworms. In Finland, it is one of the only brands used here and in order to import your cat into Finland, they must take Drontal and then repeat the medicine 30 days later in order to be tapeworm free.

I've had experience with worm problems and I agree, they are very nasty. When I got my cats de-wormed, Drontal and Strongid-T were the brands used to get rid of worms and now we have no problems at all.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2004, 06:43 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiegirl
He had a lot of flea's though so there were probably some in the apartment still.
That's another good thing about Capstar. It begins to kill adult fleas within 30 minutes after taken. So, if you give a pill once a day, adult fleas die, babies are born, soon as they bite the cat, they die, too. They don't have any time whatsoever to hatch out more eggs, so it clears up infestation in the apartment too (since the fleas jump on the animal).

For more information, you can go here.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!