Emma is screaming when she pottys - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

Emma is screaming when she pottys

I brought my kitten Emma home saturday and she is adjusting well only a few cries at night now. I took her to the vet monday and I finished her wormer today she also has a URI and is underweight. But whenever she goes to the litter box and tries to go potty she screams her little head off every single time. she is drinking plenty and has a very good food ( blue buffalo) the past few days she has had diarrhea and i think i saw her rubbing her butt on the carpet today.

Should I take her back to the vet? Also what could this be and about how much should it be?

Proud Mommy to-
Cat: Emma
Rats: Apollo, Yuki, Ember, Mei
Hamsters: Kodi, Bear, Koda, Abbi

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 05:59 AM
Playful Pup

catfoodreviews.com/blue-buffalo-cat-food

Please do more research before you feed your animals anything you "think" is good. Just because the website says it's the best and shows the nutritional value doesn't mean it's the best. You have to look at reviews, good and bad written by owners. If you want to buy quality food for your pets then you need to look into foods that Vets and Breeders prefer, as Breeders only feed the very best to their stock and Vets know how well the Nutrition treats the animal over all. The very best foods are usually organic and have no dyes or artificial things inside of it.

I would completely switch her off of wet food because that is one of the things giving her diarrhea. Wet food produces Gas and sloppy stool because it has too much moisture content at one time, which I told you already lol. Too much wet food can cause a mess of things at the litter box and make the tummy unsettled. She is a baby after all and looks like she just weaned. Stop the wet food, obviously as it's making her tummy and digestive tract upset.

Her screaming is a normal kitten behavior, by the way.

On another note the reason she is rubbing her behind on the carpet is because she has worms. She needs to be dewormed by the vet, which is a normal and common procedure. I just don't understand how she would have worms right now if you already took her to the Vet, as that's the very first thing they do among other things.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 11:36 AM
It's all for them

Completely disagree with the above poster. Blue is a good food, and kittens need canned food.

Is she screaming when she poops or when she pees?

The diarrhea is from the parasites and the dewormer. It probably hurts her when she goes, so she cries. In addition, many cats are talky in the litter box, but I wouldn't assume that, until after the diarrhea is taken care of.

Do call the vet. You can ask the vet about giving Emma some probiotic to help firm her stools up as she adjusts to the diet, and to help her body cope with the deworming medicine.

Forti-flora is usually what vets recommend (and sell) it is an excellent product for diarrhea, or you can find benebac at most pet supply stores.

Declawing: please read this first
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 11:52 AM
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebody View Post
Completely disagree with the above poster. Blue is a good food, and kittens need canned food.

Is she screaming when she poops or when she pees?

The diarrhea is from the parasites and the dewormer. It probably hurts her when she goes, so she cries. In addition, many cats are talky in the litter box, but I wouldn't assume that, until after the diarrhea is taken care of.

Do call the vet. You can ask the vet about giving Emma some probiotic to help firm her stools up as she adjusts to the diet, and to help her body cope with the deworming medicine.

Forti-flora is usually what vets recommend (and sell) it is an excellent product for diarrhea, or you can find benebac at most pet supply stores.
I am not trying to start any trouble or anything, I am just saying what I know from experience. And with the food, I never said it was a bad food, I was just telling her to do more research as she has been switching brands of food regularly/changing her mind based on what people say without doing the research herself. Nothing mean, trying to help shed light.

Also Kittens only "need" wet food until they have become accustomed to solid food and no longer depend on mom. That is the best time to switch to dry food - it IS however preference but dry food has much more benefits (Helping with plaque, doesn't rot in the stomach causing gas and diarrhea, keeps the stool from smelling strong, etc etc)

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 12:07 PM
It's all for them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacrima View Post
I am not trying to start any trouble or anything, I am just saying what I know from experience. And with the food, I never said it was a bad food, I was just telling her to do more research as she has been switching brands of food regularly/changing her mind based on what people say without doing the research herself. Nothing mean, trying to help shed light.

Also Kittens only "need" wet food until they have become accustomed to solid food and no longer depend on mom. That is the best time to switch to dry food - it IS however preference but dry food has much more benefits (Helping with plaque, doesn't rot in the stomach causing gas and diarrhea, keeps the stool from smelling strong, etc etc)

Dry food is bad for cats. Cats need to be on a canned food diet, dry food should be used as snacks only.

Dry food does not clean teeth, and in fact can be worse for teeth. Crumbs form from dry food, and the crumbs get between the teeth, and under the gum line, causing bacteria to grow. A good home care brushing program with an enzymatic veterinary paste such as c.e.t. will take care of the teeth.

Dry food takes about 3 times as long to digest as canned food, as a cat's digestive system is not designed to digest dry pellets.

Canned food is closer to what a cat was meant to live on, as cats get their moisture from their food, not from drinking water. Cats do not have a high thirst drive and can't ever drink enough to make up for a dry food diet. Cats who live on a completely dry diet live in a constant state of dehydration.

The op has not been "switching brands", the kitten, Emma, only came home six days ago, from a rough start in life, and she is only 6 weeks old.

Elliriyanna, sorry for the thread drift , I know we have been over all that already, while preparing for Emma to come home. Do call the vet and ask about some probiotic, diarrhea is very dehydrating, so you do want to get it under control as soon as possible.

Declawing: please read this first

Last edited by somebody; 06-18-2011 at 12:31 PM.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

she is drinking a lot and I am keeping a close eye on her. I also ordered some benebac last night. I did LOTS of research on foods before bringing her home. The vet told me to wet her dry food. I plan to start brushing her teeth as soon as the stress of the transition wears off. I emailed the vet last night so hopefully I get a response today ( if i call it goes to the receptionists who know nothing)

Lacrima could I kindly ask you not to comment on my threads? Its just most of what you say is belittling instead of helpful

Also Lacrima if you had read my other thread you would see she hates canned food and the vet is very happy with my food choice. Also I have never switched Emmas food and dont plan to. If you are talking about my hamsters I have switched foods once and added things to their diet. I dont think its a bad thing to make positive adjustments. I have never just done what people tell me or you and me would get along. I look at what people say and do the research then decide what should be done.

Also she is screaming when she poops I have never seen her pee.

Proud Mommy to-

Last edited by Elliriyanna; 06-18-2011 at 12:52 PM.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 01:08 PM
Playful Pup

I am not belittling you, I am trying to help. I am a blunt speaker, you very well know that it's nothing personal lol.

Also - I didn't know that about the cat food - I always just followed what my Vet told me to do, as I really trust them. They gave me pamphlets about the foods with sources and after I looked at them - I guess I also have to do more research instead of listening to people haha

And Elliriyanna, no hard feelings - I am just trying to help. The only thing I disagree with to be honest is your choice of feeding Dog/Cat food to your Hamsters, everything else is peachy

Is it a dramatic difference or is it still personal preference?

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

Dramatic difference with what?
And its not a ton that i feed them maybe 3-4 small breed pieces and thats for Sadi and she's such a picky eater its helping her put on the weight she needs. And since I started feeding them this they dont chew anything other to make a nest and their teeth are healthy

Lol I can be blunt but it gets me in trouble :p

I was thinking ... maybe I could record her litter box screams and then her normal cries to show you the difference

Also her dry food is wetted at a 4:1 dry food to water ratio since thats what the vet told me to do ... She only eats about 1/4 a cup in 24 hours though but she is so tiny I'm just giving her all she wants.

Proud Mommy to-

Last edited by Elliriyanna; 06-18-2011 at 01:15 PM.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 01:15 PM
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliriyanna View Post
Dramatic difference with what?
And its not a ton that i feed them maybe 3-4 small breed pieces and thats for Sadi and she's such a picky eater its helping her put on the weight she needs. And since I started feeding them this they dont chew anything other to make a nest and their teeth are healthy

Lol I can be blunt but it gets me in trouble :p

I was thinking ... maybe I could record her litter box screams and then her normal cries to show you the difference
When I asked if it was a dramatic difference or preference I was asking the other poster about wet food vs dry food.

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

Lol it helps to direct questions like that

Proud Mommy to-

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 01:23 PM
Betta Bomb

Blunt is one thing. . .

Anyway, since this is about the kit and not hamsters I will make a comment, stick it out. As somebody said, kittens are pretty vocal with many things. When my old cat Dusty was a kitten he would meow as he ate which made the most peculiar sound!! So I would second she is just getting over her diarrhea which might be uncomfortable to her especially since momma's not around! As we discussed before, since she is only 6 weeks, she is still very much used to her momma coming and checking on her. Being on antibiotics and such could be just something she's acclimating to.

Also, without a certificate in nutrition I would not trust my vet on diet again. My vet suggested a vet formula for Coco (my dog) a couple years ago and all it did was make him sick. I transitioned him gradually and kept him on it for a month or 2 before taking him off. Most vets do not have updated nutrition experience. They make their money on illnesses and, not saying that they WANt to make your pet sick, but they really are generally most interested in check ups and sick animals, not diets. My vet, BTW, is an AAHA accreddited vet. They just don't know nutrition. Simple. Anyway, personal research is number 1. NEVER just assume the vet knows everything.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

Well I will record her cries when she is going potty and let you guys judge. She is usually a little vocal but usually is not this loud unless she is really mad lol. Her mom was standing guard watching the babies Emma was the wildest .. i tried to get to her and she hissed and clawed and all that good stuff.

Also I never fully trust anyone with the health of my pets I wish i could do all the vet stuff lol. But I thoroughly researched her diet. I'll let you know what the vet says when they get back to me. If they think its nothing and she is still doing it in two weeks when we go to the vet for her shots I'll have them test her.

Proud Mommy to-

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 01:37 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacrima View Post
Also - I didn't know that about the cat food - I always just followed what my Vet told me to do, as I really trust them. They gave me pamphlets about the foods with sources and after I looked at them - I guess I also have to do more research instead of listening to people haha
Keep in mind that your vet is not a nutritionist. Most vets have very little training in nutrition (often just one class or seminar) and the training they get is typically sponsored by pet food companies like Science Diet.

The dry food cleaning teeth, for example, makes no sense when you think about it logically. I mean, does cereal clean your teeth? It's sad that vets recommend such poor food choices .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

I looked up the ingredients in science diet and I personally dont like it I like a more natural food pref without corn meal in the top ingredients

Proud Mommy to-

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 02:19 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliriyanna View Post
I looked up the ingredients in science diet and I personally dont like it I like a more natural food pref without corn meal in the top ingredients
Yeah, I don't understand how it can even be sold as a cat food. Some of the medical varieties have no meat!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."