Eww worms! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

Eww worms!

We noticed yesterday that our cat has worms, we saw something white on his butt that was moving and gross and did i mention gross? Usually i'd say i have a pretty strong stomach, but this jus really kinda creeps me out.
Anyway, I'm not sure what kind of worms they are, I'm kinda afraid to look them up cuz i don't wanna see nasty pictures.. ((people should really put up warnings for nasty pictures.. you know.. to see a picture of my toe cut off click here type thing.. )) Anyway, we're going to call the vet when they open, but i don't drive, so we might not be able to get him in until Monday unless David works it out to come home on his lunch break. But i was wondering if Revolution flea medicine will treat the worms? or is it just supposed to help prevent them? Cuz we have one of those, we could put on him. Also, if he has them does that mean the dogs prolly have them too? or would that depend on what kind of worms they are?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Furry Family
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 10:04 AM
Jird Jostler

Erm.. first of all I'm probably not the best person to be giving advice about cats as I have never owned one. But I doubt that flea medicine would work on worms as worms are internal parasites and Fleas are external. Also I think it is probably highly likely that your dogs may have them too, they spread very easily. So its probably best to get them checked over too. Hope I helped a bit. xx

I'm Georgia,
I drive like a rally driver.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 10:23 AM
Hello Earthling

All I have to say is EEWWWWWW

I agree with Georgia, flea medication won't work.
I would check the dogs over to, and maybe bring them to the vet to get checked too.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 10:48 AM
can't think of one, help

Yes I agree flea medication won't help for the worms. Doggies probably have them too. You could probably just get a stool sample to the vet for the doggies. Or the vet may want to treat all of them anyway. Do the cats and doggies have fleas, if they do then it could be tapeworm, which is treated differently than other kinds. Since you know the cat has worms the kitties' stool sample can help with the kind of worms.

Vicki

Rainbow, Abbles, Carmy, Kissy, Peaches, Cream, (kitties) and Littlebunny boy (elder bunny)

the pic is the last one of my meecee kitty (5/9/89 - 1/9/08)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

I checked the website for Revolution after i posted this, and it says it treats fleas, heartworm, ear mites, hookworm (Anycylostoma tubaeforme) and roundworm (Toxocara cati ) But of course, not tapeworm, which is prolly what hes got. They dont have fleas, ive checked them several because David's parents dog keeps getting them. So its possible that there could have been a stray one. But Tanner has been on K-9 Advantix, and we have some revolution to put on the kitty.. And the vet should be opening soon so we'll call them and see what they say, hopefully we wont have to bring all 3 in, that would make for in interesting car ride

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Furry Family
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 10:08 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

How is he doing?
Years ago we found our kitty, Boo, outside about to step into a busy street. We picked him up and oddly went directly to the vets with him. It's a good thing we did. He was covered in fleas and his belly was full of worms. He was so tiny I don't think he would have survived without medical attention soon. Anyway, the vet wormed him and told us we may see worms in the litter box. I don't remember if we saw them there but I remember that one was hanging out of his tush. I don't know if it was the right thing to do but my mother and I pulled it out. I could not believe how long it was for how tiny he was! And it was very, very gross!!! No one else in the house got them but he was wormed before we brought him in the house so I am not sure if that was why.
I don't think I would assume the dogs had them - unless, like most dogs, they like to raid the litter box. Now that is even grosser than worms but dogs love it!
GAG!!!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

Poor little Boo, he so lucky to have found you (lol that rhymed!)
Our dogs don't go in the litter box, we keep it in the bathtub we haven't been using, so they haven't really had the opportunity yet. However David lets the cat out in the backyard sometimes when the dogs go out to potty, and he goes out goes potty and comes in just like the dogs do, so its possible they could have found is outside. David called the vet from work Then had his friend go pick up the meds, so im not entirely sure what they said, I guess she said the revolution wouldn't work for tapeworms, but she gave us some Profender, that goes on his back. We put that on him tonight. They also sent some stuff for both the dogs, But david said he thought the lady said the dogs prolly didn't have them, so were not sure if they meant for us to treat them anyway or if it was so we had it just in case? would it hurt them to treat them if they don't have it? Allie is so tiny, and has enough problems, i don't really like the idea of giving her unnecessary medications, altho, getting the worms might be worse than the medications? i dunno. We're going to try and call the vet tomorrow morning and talk to them some more, we also need to know if the cat can have his revolution on him after the worming medication.

My Furry Family

Tags
cat, gross, worms