Excess Licking? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2004, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

Question Excess Licking?

I was curious to know if anyone might know what causes a kitten to lick constantly? Every time Maggie sits on my lap while I am at the computer (which is all the time) She is constantly trying to lick (or perhaps groom) my hands, arms face or whatever else she can get to.

Could this be a bonding thing for her since she lost her mama so young and couldn't bond properly. She seems rather insecure to a point in that she wants to be in my lap almost all the time (velcro kitty as Jade puts it lol) which doesn't bother me.

Anyone ever experience this or know anything about this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2004, 09:55 PM
I Wish I Were a Snot Ball Shooter

Lizzie's a big licker - I've always just figured maybe it's a bonding thing, like maybe she's trying to groom me. Other times, I swear it's because she was raised with doggies from the time she was 4 or 5 weeks old, and she thinks she's a dog. LOL She likes to lick Dutchy's face and head too. Cute!
Never thought maybe it's because of losing her momma early on ... their momma was nowhere to be found when we rescued her and her siblings. Interesting idea.

I had a cat years ago that liked to lick the eyelids of sleeping people - very strange.

Your baby sounds like a real sweetheart !!

Sharon
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2004, 10:11 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Licking is a way of bonding. It's their way of asking to be with you and also comforts them.

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Come drop by!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2004, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

Thanks guys! I appreciate your input... I am doing further digging into it though just out of curriosity (I'm not concerned there is anything wrong)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2004, 12:33 AM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Hobo ("Spitty Kitty") loves to sit on my lap and lick my hand if I'm not petting her enough. When I do pet her she drools on me, so no matter what I do I'm going to have kitty spit on me.

Rhonda

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2004, 08:29 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Maybe to her kitty mind, you stink!

Just kidding.

I think it could just be a bonding thing. Because Gerona does it to me and very rarely she will do it to my husband (usually she would rather stick her butt in his face). I raised her from when she was about a week old, and I've noticed she only grooms people/cats she likes.

Then again, it could just be because we stink...

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-31-2004, 02:47 PM

One of my cats does this constantly to me! And it is starting to get on my nerves because he usually does it when I'm trying to sleep.. I especially don't like it when he does it to my face since his rough tongue kind of hurts- I'll usually allow him to do it to my hands, but he does it repeatedly to the point it also hurts.... Why is he doing it so much? And how can I get him to stop? I would be more likely to give him attention if he didn't do it, but if I'm trying to sleep I usually just have to push him away.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2004, 12:37 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

What I do when the licking starts to get "annoying" is give them part of themself to lick. I like to use the tail. Stick it in front of their tounge. They usually will look up at you confused. May take a few tail swipes, but usualy gets them to stop, or groom themselves. If they are really determined I blow in their face. Harmless but effective. Then reward them with snuggles!

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 11:35 PM

You gonna think I am crazy, but she thinks you are dirty...Are you whereing perfume, or just out of the shower? Because what smells bad to us is good to them and what smells good to us is bad to them! LOL...CYA
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2004, 01:22 AM

I don't really think its because I'm dirty.. He does it constantly and I can't be dirty constantly. I don't wear perfume.. You would think that after a while he would get me clean.. but he keeps on until I can't stand it anymore!
Kelly