Fat Cat - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

Question Fat Cat

Hey everyone. I don't know much about felines..but my boyfriend has two cats...one from a shelter and the other being a stray he found...the one from the shelter is named Maggie..and I have a question about her...she's currently 11 months or so...and has just gained alot of weight..like..this cat is pretty chunky...BOTH cats are eating the same thing.. > Wellness...

I'm not sure what is going on but my boyfriend is getting a little bit worried...there's no problem with the other cat, but Maggie is just a porker now...they're both indoor cats..but occassionally they'll sneak out the door when someone has it open and run around for a few hours before someone goes and brings them in..

What could the problem be here? To be honest with you, I don't think he is going to take her to a vet...he's extremely busy and a bit tight on money at the moment which I completely hope you guys can understand...

Could it be thyroid...diet...anything else? All comments welcome...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 04:56 PM

That ususlly isn't the reason, most cats get hyperthyroidism not hypo (which makes them more sinny not usually fat) But the vet IS the best course of action. She may just be eating too much and not getting enough exercise. Is he following the feeding instructions on the bag or can? If the vet gives her a clean bill of health he'll peobably tell you to cut back the amount of food she gets.

We feed the cats in our shelter 4 oz of kibble a day and they are all pretty porky as well. They don't get enough exercise and they show it. How much does she get in a day?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 10:08 PM
Miss New Booty

Lvn gave some great advice! Yes, my vet talked to me about the thyroid and said that could possibly cause a loss of a few pounds, not gaining.

Hmmm do you know how much Maggie actually weighs? Like Lvn said, what is their feeding schedule like, does he go by the bag? Does he leave food out for the kitties? Is Maggie maybe eating more than the other kitty? I feed my cats Wellness, too, the chicken flavor in the blue bag. I know there is a purple bag that is a *light* food, but he should probably talk to his vet about that first. My vets said they get concerned when they hit 13-14 lbs and up. Hope all is ok with Maggie!

~* Jackie *~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 12:15 PM

I have a chunky kitty. She was 8 lbs when I first brought her home, she was only 6mos old, and then grew to 12 lbs. She has been on weight management food since day one and when I brought her too the doctors they said she wasn't actually overweight but decided it was best to keep her on weight management food. She lost a little weight and is now 11lbs 6 oz.

The wellness does tend to add some weight due to the sugar content from the foods and its a richer food. I would definitely talk to a vet about either giving less food or switching to a weight management food and maybe some underlying diseases.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Well they are mostly indoor cats..so they just run around the house whenever they want..sometimes they'll get a chance to romp around outside when its a really nice day...I don't think I could tell you a measurement of the amount they get in a day though..foodwise..I should probably ask him how much food he gives (dry by the way)...

Sugar content? Wellness doesn't have sugar in it though.. I know some foods use it as a preservative but I didn't see it on the ingredients list..unless you're refering to something else? *scratches head* I'm confused
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 04:21 PM

It depends on which type of wellness being fed but any of the sweet potatoes, blueberries, or Whole Apples have natural sugars that could be the cause of weight gain. I looks like Wellness makes a lite food also, but I know my cat dislikes lite food and will eat Angel's food if he isn't given an alternate food to eat. Or maybe combine it with a lite food and set that out for her to cut back on calories.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 05:11 PM

Thanks lvnmycritters for explaining that. I realize I didn't explain myself well enough on that sugar part.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Oh ok..so its just the sugars from the various foods..not the addition of sugar itself..thanks for clearing that up..I was getting worried there because I feed wellness to my dog and when I was checking up all the ingredients I was quite impressed..I would be dissapointed to find out that they added sugar or other useless junk into the food..it's supposed to be human grade and high quality..I always hear alot of good stuff about it...anyways..I'll let him know..and maybe I"ll tell him to switch his cats onto the lite version..even though they are quite young...I always thought only senior animals should be on lite diets but it would make sense for a chubby cat too..

thanks guys.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 09:13 PM

It's probably the food - some cats eat their fill and no more, and others just keep pigging out (like Sigfried). But just to be sure... If your boyfriend can't take Maggie to the vet, please check her spine. I'm not a vet but I know that some cats appear to be getting bigger, but despite the protruding belly, their spine sticks out. My favorite shelter cat died a month ago from FIP. I though he was finally gaining weight (he had been sick for a while), but it was just swelling. So just in case, take a look. I'm almost sure it's just fat, but there are a often cases of coronavirus and FIP in shelters. We've lost a few to FIP recently, and they all had that belly.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Its not just the belly..lol the whole cat is chubby..like..she has literally grown..and she is playful so it doesn't look like she's got any spinal problems..unless its something that has no real symptoms..
I'll let him know about all of this..thanks again guys..

Tags
indoor cat, indoor cats