feLV - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

All this information is good to know! I know my cat wasnt a shelter kitty, I rescued her and her brother before they were placed in a shelter. And now I feel as I did the right thing . My vet told me that the homain society ussaly fixes the aniumals before they go out to home so sometimes they fix kittens and puppy's at only 6 - 12 weeks which is way too young and they come in with respritory infections in which the HS cant or wont treat any more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Absolutely test all cats for both Felv and FIV if they have never been tested
Interesting. So if my cats had never been tested (they are 4 years and 5 years old), you would recommend that I get them tested even if they aren't showing symptoms? I guess it's better to rule it out more than anything. We had our female, Sydney, tested for FeLV last year and she came back negative on the ELISA. We didn't bother to test our male, Max, at the time because she had been negative. Should we have tested him as well? He was tested last week for FeLV (due to illness) and also came back negative.

FIP is tricky. If we had tested Max for it, I was hoping that it would come back completely negative, because, as you said, a positive test doesn't confirm anything. Though a negative test would have really eased my mind at the time.

That is an unbelievable story about your shelter. I'm glad that it had a happy ending. Did any of the cats later show sypmtoms of FIP?
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 01:33 PM

Quote:
sometimes they fix kittens and puppy's at only 6 - 12 weeks which is way too young
6 weeks is a bit young, but early spay/neuter programs are very beneficial. Many dog and cat breeders are having their litters spayed/neutered before they go to their new homes (around 10-12 weeks). This ensures that there will be no accident litters. Pets this young often bounce back from the surgery much quicker than older pets (5-6 months) and thus far, I haven't come across any valid literature that suggests there are complications with growth, temperment, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 04:06 PM

So what would the symptoms be for FIP? My cat's vets never tested both of my cats for it. One of them (Sky's vet) told me that it was up to me but most test are really not conclusive because the test doesn't always prove something is wrong when it comes out positive. I therefore didn't test Sky for it but she does seem fine. She was only tested for Fel Leuk and FIV. This was also the same with Simba when he was little. They didn't give him the FIP test and has been good for two years.

As with the early spay/neuter, I have seen faster recoveries from younger animals than from older (over 5 months). The shelter has had kittens fixed at an early age and when I saw how fast the females recovered I thought the same was going to be for my 6 month old kitty. She fully recovered from the surgery two weeks afterward. She was also sick with a respiratory infection which she came in with. I do know that they hardly, if ever, treat them for it. They rather euthanize them which to me is a sad thing.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 05:25 PM

The symptoms of FIP can vary greatly by cat. Here are two great resources.
http://www.winnfelinehealth.org/health/FIP.html
http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/resou...chure/fip.html

Tags
indoor cat, neuter program, respiratory infection