FeLV question - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
canis lupus familiaris

FeLV question

I guess this is more of a shelter question as well. I was looking around in a couple of shelters that do not kill for space or immune disorders (FIV/FeLV.) These cats are kept apart unless they are a bonded pair (and typically only if their buddy is infected as well.) I have considered adopting FeLV+ cats before. I read up on it to find that its one scary virus. The vaccine isn't 100% (as most aren't) but is it not possible to put a negative cat with a positive?

I guess I'm concerned because there is a very nice cat owned by the neighborhood and I was considering adopting a brother and sister duo that are FeLV+. I'd feel terrible if I got her sick. I talked to my neighbors about taking her down to the vet and having her vaccinated for it the next time she goes in for her rabies.

[B]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Spyro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Loki
Luna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 09:36 AM
Playful Pup

Nothing is 100 percent. I would guess you are fine with the vaccine. Just ask the vet how long after the vaccine you have to wait for introduction.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 09:46 PM
Betta Bomb

Talk with your vet. You don't want to infect a cat just because you want them to live together. I would either adopt 2 positive cats or only one. Don't mix them and don't get both and separate them. Just my 2 cents.

Tags
felv, shots, vaccinations