Feral cat with kittens - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-04-2004, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Feral cat with kittens

According to some kids outside, there is a cat having kittens right now in the bushes! I can't find them but I heard the kittens crying. It sounds like its coming from right under my bedroom window! I've seen the mom and she's a feral cat. I feel so bad for the kittens. I don't know how they are going to survive out there in this apartment complex. I don't know what to do and I definitely can't take them in because I have three already and I'm only supposed to have two (according to the lease). Even if I could, I doubt I could catch the mom. Its so sad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-04-2004, 07:02 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Oh no! How awful, poor babies, I wish you and the kitties the best, I don't really have any good advice. Sorry

*Brandy*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-04-2004, 08:40 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

hey veggers - if you call your local animal shelter, you could get them picked up and they could get their shots and the mom cat could get spayed. you could try a no kill shelter. until then, i would just put some food and water out there so that the mom has enough to eat. cause if she doesn't, her milk may dry up (i believe). but i'd try to get em shots and all that from the shelter. keep us updated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-04-2004, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Hey Jane. I'm still trying to find the kittens. I don't know it the mom moved them or what. If I can find them and the mom, I will call a no-kill shelter or a rescue or something. I have no idea where they are now though and I can't hear any more kittens meowing. I'll keep my eyes open for little kittens running around. Its going to be awhile though before they are out and about it they were just born today. Good thing its warm here so they won't freeze. I think there is a lady here that leaves food out for the mom too. I wish I could help them all! I've already taken in one from this complex. Oliver was a stray (or dumped by his family) but he definitely wasn't feral. I'll keep you guys updated.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 12:09 PM

Do not move the kittens if they are under 6 weeks of age unless you can trap the mother first. The kittens will be harder to find a shelter because they will need to be bottle fed and many shelters that are set up to take in strays may not have the resources to bottle feed. I don't know how your shelter situation is there but very few around here will take in strays and are no kill. As far as I know we are the only no kill impoundment facility. Of course our drawback is we cannot take in surrenders.

It will be hard to find the kittens unless you accidentally stumble across them. The mother will constantly move them to keep them safe. Once the kittens are old enough you will probably see the kittens running around themselves. If you see them running around you may want to trap the mother and have her spayed.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 12:39 PM

Yes please do not move the kittens unless you can find the mother first. 3 out of the 5 litters we've bottled fed since mid April are because somebody saw the kittens and not the mom, this they assumed mom abandoned them and picked them up, UGH!!!! Mom was probably out looking for food, but NO they couldn't wait at least 1-2 hours to see if mom would come back first.
Unless you can find somebody that is willing to take the time and bottle feed those kittens after the mom is caught I personally wouldn't do anything with them until you physically see with your own eyes that the kittens are good enough to be on their own w/out mom. Like Dena mentioned above momma cat will constantly move her kittens around to keep them safe, I wish you, momma cat, and those kittens the best of luck.

Tags
animal shelter, local animal shelter