Feral Cats, What to Do - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Feral Cats, What to Do

Hello everyone!

I noticed a lot of people get confused on what to do when they see a stray or feral cat. I am currently working with several ferals, and wish to offer my advice and share some resources with everyone!

*Feeding: If you have chosen to feed a feral cat that is still shy, make sure you are keeping an eye on where the cat is, and try to put it's bowl near the cat's 'hideout.' Every time you put food into the bowl call out 'kitty kitty kitty' and soon the cat will associate your calls with food. Wet food is best for any cat, but if you are feeding them dry food make sure they always have access to water as well since dry food can dehydrate a kitty.

*Taming: If the cat is letting you get close during feeding time, attempt to softly stroke it from behind. Do not approach the cat from the front as this is threatening to them. Do not stare into their eyes either, make sure to blink frequently and look away often. If the cat is approaching your hand, keep your fingers curled in and allow the cat to sniff your fist. Getting used to your scent is a big step, and will take the kitty sometime especially when left outdoors.

*Kittens: If you wish to tame feral kittens that you have found or 'rescued' follow the steps here: http://www.feralcat.com/taming.html I have recently tried these out on a six week old kitten, and it only took her a week to become a loving little kitty.

Some ferals can become tame, others cannot. If you can, PLEASE Trap, Neuter, and Return the cat to where it 'lives' this is the most humane, and effective way to control feral populations.

If you need help financially for the ferals try contacting a local rescue group, humane society, or start a fundraiser (I HAVE!).

Helping feral cats is a difficult, and often taxing job, but remember these colonies occur from abandoned, neglected, and forgotten pets.

~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 07:04 PM
Newborn Pup

My name is Paul and I have been working with ferals for 15yrs!

What you are doing is wonderful! Thanks for helping to educate others about ferals. I went to the site you suggested and found it to be very informative.
If you ever want to talk about ferals please feel free to look me up!
I also have 14 cats, many came from colonies, we have 4 sets of 2 siblings and 1 set of 3 siblings and it is amazing to see the similarities in each set!
I also trap abandoned dogs and re-socialize them to be adopted out.
Take care and keep up the good work!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 09:25 PM
canis lupus familiaris

Awesome post! Salem was taken out of a feral colony and I love her to bits!

[B]
Spyro
Loki
Luna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

@paulsjynx: That's wonderful! I'm so glad to see other people share my passion of helping animals :] Congratulations to you as well, it's a great thing you're doing.

@Blacksheep: Thank you! I'm glad you helped out the feral's too! That's funny because there is an all black kitty that is in the colony i'm working with and I call her Salem hehehe

~
~
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 03:29 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

This is awesome and educational post TellTaleHeart, gonna share that to the other board I'm on.

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

Visit -
- for fun and tips for pets!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thank you! I'm glad the word is getting around! Also if the forum allows it, you could post the link to my fundraising site http://gogetfunding.com/project/funds-for-ferals I just got two kitties spayed and vaccinated today and hope to get more done this week!

~
~
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 08:09 PM
Newborn Pup

Great job working with the ferals.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thank you! I caught another today. A male i've been after. I'll be taking him into the clinic first thing tomorrow morning!

~
~

Tags
feral cat help