Fighting Cats - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-15-2006, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Fighting Cats

I have 2 female cats MonsterKitty is 7 and Patches is 2. I have had both since they were kittens. They have lived together 2 years. While Monster has never had the best personality she has always tolerated Patches and even acted like she likes her most of the time. However suddenly they are fighting like 2 strangers. I cannot come up with any differences in our environment and have taken both to the vet. No noticeble illness on either side. We are waiting for blood tests to come back. Both were spayed and declawed as kittens. For the last 3 days I cannot let them see each other.. This is not a typical cat fight It is all out war. Fur flying, screaming yowling rolling across the floor. I have to use a blanket or pillow to separate them and get them in separate rooms with a door closed. It takes a good half hour for either to calm down enough to let me touch them.
Anyone out there have any suggestions. The vet suggested I get Feliway and I did but it hasen't helped. I have sprayed it on almost everything in the house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 12:02 PM
Part of the Pack

hmmm... that is weird. perhaps they had an argument over something and it just snowballed into a war? it could be a territorial problem that suddenly beame a huge issue? either that or one of them is sick? my only other suggestion would have been something that usually happens in older, more aged cats. for example, i had a cat that was 17 and she had a seizure and she was never quite the same after that. she acted normal but just became really fearful of my other cat and started attacking him. plus, when she started going blind and deaf she really wanted to "get rid" of my 2 year old cat to remove the threat of him pouncing on her. luckily, Dorian (the younger cat) was very respectful of her and stayed away from her. she lived to be 20 and would attack him until her last days but she couldn't see so she always missed him anyway.

but i would say that either some type of territorial argument came up between your cats or one of them is sick. i think that sickness will definatly make animals fight, or so i have experienced in the past with pets. sorry i coudn't be of more help to you! i hope you figure out what is going on with your kitties, and i hope it is nothing serious and they get over it soon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2 crazy little girl bunnies:
Ninnles &
Luna ...and... 2 beautiful and wonderful rattles:

Pixie & Mischief... and... 1 sweet little chinchilla
Neo... and last ~ but not least ~ 7 crazy cats & kittens:
Dorian, Ana, V, Evie, Dantes, Maggie, & Sparrow

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

vet came back with an all clear. they put monster on anti anxiety meds. i am still keeping them apart. in a few days i am going to try to put them together and see what happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 06:00 PM
Part of the Pack

how are your cats getting on now? any better?

2 crazy little girl bunnies:
Ninnles &
Luna ...and... 2 beautiful and wonderful rattles:

Pixie & Mischief... and... 1 sweet little chinchilla
Neo... and last ~ but not least ~ 7 crazy cats & kittens:
Dorian, Ana, V, Evie, Dantes, Maggie, & Sparrow

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

not really today is the first day i have had them in the same room. they are hissing and growling. i am keeping them apart with a water bottle. just trying to get them used to seeing each other and prevent a fight still giving one anti anxiety drugs
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 07:27 PM
Adolescent Pup

Hey Annrich.

There is a thing we use at the vets office and a few of my friends who have foster cats use it, Its called Feli-way. Its like a glade plug in that we cant smell, but it releases a pheramone that calms both female & male cats and prevents the following things, scratching, biting, anxiety, marking, fighting.

Its a great tool for us because when we board cats they are almost always anxious so are rescue cats, they get anxious and then fearfull and then they lash out. With this stuff the cats are all mellow and relaxed.

Best wishes
-Tabitha
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 07:31 PM
Adolescent Pup

Another thing to do as far as re-introductions. Keep one cat in a room while you house is loaded with feliway, make sure the door is closed, let the cat walk all around the house and smell the other cats sent then allow them to sniff each other through the door, spend a little time with the cat thats out then put her in a room and shut the door. Allow the other cat to walk out on her own, sniff the house and smell the other cat thats behind the door, make sure you wash your hands after putting the first cat back though as your one kitty may get annoyed that another cats smell is on her mama and that cat is behind the door. Repeat this for 7-12 days. Everyday then slowly re-introduce your cats.

They may never fully get along, but at least with these measures and the feliway your cats will be able to live tolerably for another 10 years or so.

-Tabitha

Tags
male cat