Photos! The First Year - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Hello Earthling

Talking The First Year

The First Year

Amadeus is coming up on the twelfth month of his life and I thought I would make a summary of if first year for other owners to read, and new owner to get an idea of what is expected in the first year with their new kitten.

As an ex-foster parent of young kittens, in the course of just under a year I raised 11 kittens (the youngest being 5 weeks old), plus two who were only here for a couple of days, with the help of my Mother. We ended up adopting number 11, Amadeus.

Amadeus came to stay with us at only 2 months old. He had a condition called ‘crypto’ which meant one of his ‘man’ parts was yet to drop, and neutering him what meant an invasive surgery. Thankfully it dropped in a few months and he was able to be neutered.

As a caretaker of a small zoo I knew that it was mandatory for him to be able to live with dogs and caged animals. Thankfully after a brief session of hissing at the two dogs which would soon become his own little fur family he settled in and was almost right at home. He was hesitant at first of the new sights and sounds but that was to be expected with a kitten who has only known life in a cage with other homeless animals. He mostly ignored the reptiles but he does enjoy having ‘stare off’s’ with one of my geckos.

At first he only had run of the kitchen and living room with supervision and spent his alone time in a large ferret cage, curled up in his hammock. After about a week and a half he had run of the house when we were home, but still spent his alone time in the cage. While he was out he found and perfect place to curl up and sleep especially since he had developed an upper respiratory infection (URI), my bed.

An upper respiratory infection is a common ailment among cats from crowed shelters. It is similar to a cold, and in young kittens it can be fatal. Symptoms’ include; discharge from eye and nose, open mouth breathing, refusal to eat and sneezing.

Amadeus quickly recovered from his upper respiratory infection, but it was only the first. Because the virus which causes upper respiratory infections in shelter cats is never cured Amadeus has had one other upper respiratory infections in his first year. The virus can remain dormant for years before remerging, but in cats that have frequent upper respiratory infections their vet can prescribe medication to help combat upper respiratory infections. Should Amadeus continue to have frequent upper respiratory infections he will be put on medication, this is to be discussed with his vet.

I began ‘training’ Amadeus basic behaviours from the day he came home. As most cats do he came litter trained, but he still needed to learn what was acceptable and what was not acceptable, beginning with scratching and the use of his teeth and nails.

While we are on the topic of nails I began cutting Amadeus’ nails the week after we got him. I can now cut his nails with easy, usually while he is sleeping. He seemed to know what the scratching post was for and we never really had a problem with his sharpening his nails on the furniture BUT he does have a bit of an issue with using his nails to grab my hand when I am giving him a treat. That is still a work in progress. As for his teeth was learned to channel his ‘chewing’ and biting needs to toys. He now regularly plays with the dogs stuffed toys, he was raised by dogs and knows no different from dog toys and cat toys. I believe that he is slightly species confused.

He also learned, and is still learning what he can and cannot jump on. He is aloud on the couches and bed, but he is not allowed on the counters, table or pool table. We’re still working on the counters and pool table. The way we are working towards teaching Amadeus is quickly catching him in the act and saying ‘no’ in a firm voice and removing him from the area.

We were fortunate that Amadeus did not have any serious ailments and only required two trips to the vet (not including shelter visits for shots etc…). The first was for shots, and the second was to be examined for a ‘poop’ issue.

Because Amadeus was not going to be an outdoor cat, ergo he would not be coming into contact with other cats he did not need to receive the immunization with feline leukemia, all he needed were boosters and rabies.

That’s the basics of his first year. I now have a perfect, cuddle bug of a kitten, who enjoys playing and sleeping with his canine family, sunning him self on the deck (on a leash and harness), and sleeping all day long with busts of energy to zoom around the house.

http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f10/l...hlight=Amadeus
http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f10/w...hlight=Amadeus
http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f10/s...hlight=Amadeus

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 11:17 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Very well said mate, so glad for a wonderful 12 months of adventures and fun!

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- for fun and tips for pets!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 11:24 PM
RAT ADDICT

Nice summary.

I was just thinking earlier,I cannot believe that Berlin will be 1 yr in March and Anja 1 yr in May...the time goes so fast!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Hello Earthling

Thanks!!!

His birthday is next month and I am excited to throw him a little party.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 12:16 PM
RAT ADDICT

Cute...make sure you get pictures.Too bad we were not closer,my girls could celebrate with him!

I want to throw little parties for my girls too when the time comes!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *