To Fix or not to Fix.. lol - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
What the shell! :)

To Fix or not to Fix.. lol

I have 2 male cats, one is about 2 1/2 years old (Raul) and the other is 1 year old(Dopey). The 2 1/2 year old, Raul, roams more than the 1 year old, Dopey. Dopey will hiss at Raul and they'll fight. I am going to get Dopey fixed, I think it would make them not fight, I can only afford 1 cat to be fixed.

If I only fix Dopey will that make them both neutral towards eachother or will it make Raul think he can chase Dopey away? Or will the situation stay the same?

I really really need some help with this decision.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
our lil family
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Mr & Mrs

& Maggie-the dogs

& Cleo - the cats

sushi & Fuji - the rats
...and the turtles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 09:30 PM

In my experience the fixed cat got attacked regularly by the cat that wasn't fixed, but it depends on the cat's temperament.

You really shjould have both of your animals fixed. Have you searched for a discount/reduced rate neuter clinic in your area or phone your local Humane Society / SPCA? Sometimes you can get your animals neutered for free, or next to nothing.

Please check it out, it's better for your animals and better for the animal shelters that have to deal with the volumes of kittens during this season.

All the best. Keep us updated.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 10:04 PM

I,personally,try to spay& neuter everything.
I know non-fixed cats we had here used to bother the beejeebes out of the other cats,we got them all done& tada,problem solved

Maybe theres lower cost spays& neuters near you?
Also I find when I bring in two pets to the vet they make it slightly cheaper for me
(yay..since I'm on a really really tight budget!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 10:15 PM
Part of the Pack

You might have problems with spraying, too, especially if one cat gets frustrated.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 10:35 PM

Uh gosh yeah, I've only ever kept toms, and you certainly know when one hasn't been neutered! We took an uneutered adult male on as a foster once and boy it was disgusting *(not the cat, the spray)! Fixing all the way!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 12:40 AM
Part of the Pack

How can you stand having two mature unfixed males. The smell must be awful, if they are indoor cats. If they are outdoor then you have to know that they are searching out and impregnating as many willing females as they can. Unfixed males are also quite aggressive. I myself can't stand unfixed males they haunt my backyard and spray my6 patio door constantly, my poor girls can't get out for even a minute. I actually had a few of them chase me down while I was holding my girls, they snort and try to climb up my leg to get at the girls. On a more positive note I have two fixed males and they are the sweetest, suckiest cats i have ever owned, I love my boys!!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 05:45 AM
Curmudgeon

You are probably well past the point where having them neutered will have any significant effect on their attitude towards each other. At 2.5, Raul isn't going to be changing much. The other cat is dominated by him, that's what all the hissing is about. Two unfixed male cats, ..always a bad idea.

You talk about roaming, are you telling us you have two intact males that you just let roam around outside at will? ...and you've been letting them do it for years?

bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 02:15 PM

You could also check out C-snip. It is a mobile vet bus that only does low cost spay and neuters. Then maybe you could get both fixed. Otherwise they will both be adding to the cat overpopulation problems.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 02:22 PM

Hey Tiff. At my mom's house when she had several cats we found that fixing all the males really helped! We had a 10yr old tom cat decide to move in (randomly one day right thru the window!! and he never left!! lol ) but he started being dominate over all our other cats We considered trying to 'kick him out' but we liekd him too much so we got him fixed and our other male persion cat and then everyone got along. (haha...happily ever after! )

That's my experience w/it You can also talk to your vet
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 06:00 PM

I say fix, and fix both specially if there are going to be outside, no need to help add to the cat population out there. There are just SO many other benefits to neutering (cancer/spraying/running away/fighting.. etc... etc...)

The SPCA and sometimes other organizations out there can help with inexpensive spay/neuters.
Around here a neuter is $50, and that's not even a discounted one from a Spay/Neuter group.
Ask your vet if they can get you on a payment plan, call around non profit cat groups, tell them of your situation, and maybe someone can get your cats to their vet for their price.
Good luck.

Tags
animal shelter, animal shelters, humane society, indoor cat, indoor cats, local humane society, male cat