flea problems - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Formerly Known as mya_papaya

flea problems

every time i go to my friends house i get bitten by tons of fleas and the only reason theyre there is cuz her mom cant figure out how to get rid of them....... any advice?(they have 2 cats and a dog who r also infested.... )

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
i love my lil baby sebastien!!!!! almost 11 months old. baby on the way.......... due april 18 2010..... its a boy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 05:01 PM
I'm A Blonde At Heart

First your going to have to get them on a flea med. Have them talk to their vet. Front line works good. I dot know how to get rid of them in your house. Maybe flea bomb. We have never had this problem before. Someone else might gibe some better info.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 07:21 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

They'll need to get the animals on a flea product, like Ariel said. Then everything that can be washed in the house needs to be washed (all bedding etc.) and the house bombed. The pets will need to be removed from the house to bomb it. Then once they've bombed the house they need to vacuum the house thoroughly. They'll need to make sure they go over every square inch of carpet, vacuum their lounges etc. to make sure they get the flea eggs.
It's a big job to de-flea a house but the animals could end up sick if they are badly infested so it needs to be done. Then they need to make sure they keep the flea treatment up for their dogs (I recommend they use something reputable like frontline or advantage, rather than a supermarket brand) and cat all year round so they don't have to go through this again.

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 12:37 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Ok...you need to do everything in one day otherwise it won't do any good... The best thing to do is take all infested animals to a grooming salon and get them flea bathed. Make sure that they don't do flea dips because they are extremely harmful to pets. While the animals are at the salon, flea bomb the house, put 7 Dust (get it at Lowes/home depot) all over the yard, and spray your car. Then two days later use Frontline or something like that that you get from your vet. You have to wait 2 days b/c it works through the oil in the pet's skin and when you bathe them, obviously, the oil is taken out of the skin. Don't use anything over the counter b/c it goes through the bloodstream and can kill your pets. If you've already given them something, you have to wait two days to bathe them b/c it'll wash it off if you do it before then.

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

Mom to:

Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 04:22 PM
Adolescent Pup

Make sure the advantage or frontline you get will kill flea eggs and larva along with the adults. Here in Colorado where fleas really aren't a huge problem so my vet only sells the stuff for adult fleas and ticks you have to ask for the other stuff. When I was in Texas they sold which ever you wanted but always recommended the the one that kills adults, eggs and larva.

If Ticks aren't a problem in your area you may want to get advantage since it's only for fleas and cheaper than frontline.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Formerly Known as mya_papaya

thanx evry1 i told her the stuff you guys posted and she got like zodiac stuff for her dog and a weird mousse stuff for her cats....
the mousse sed it was toxic to pets if they lick themselves and i told her that but she put it on her cats and didnt even put like a cone on its head or something to stop them from licking it off..... which caused the cats to get sick so i bathed them and got all scratched up by the younger one -_- then she used a flea bomb and didnt even vaccuum after got i hate how suprisingly stupid she can be -_- ive decided that shes too stupid to listen to any of ur guys advice and that she doesnt deserve to have any pets at all........they have a kitten now too who they got from the neighbour 2 days ago and the animals r still infested...... now the kitten is too....... she got the kitten from her neighbour who's boarder owned her and is a drug addict...... she used to leave the kitten in the basement for days at a time w/o feeding it....... the poor baby is so skinny and to top that off theres rats in her house and she put out rat poison IN her house with 3 cats and a dog there but my dad put it in a shoebox after brenda went shopping so the cats couldnt get it at least but wut if they catch a poisoned rat? and my best friend mary is convinced that declawing her evil cat will make it nice like it was as a kitten. i need some gruesome info on declawing cats to scare her

thanx guys

i love my lil baby sebastien!!!!! almost 11 months old. baby on the way.......... due april 18 2010..... its a boy!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2005, 08:48 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

zodiac

I use zodiac on my dog and it works great. As well or better than frontline or advantage and it's extremely cheap. ($11 for 4 months for big dogs 60 lbs and over) It works on larva, eggs, adult fleas and even mosquitos (I believe). I've never had any problems with my dog. Hartz is really bad. It can cause seizures in some animals and can be extremely harmful to others.
As for getting them out of your house. I read somewhere that if you vacuum, to put a flea collar in your bag (or container for bagless) to kill any that aren't killed by whatever you are spraying in your house.
Hope this helps
Lou
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-2005, 09:48 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Like I said, you have to be careful with anything over the counter because it goes through the bloodstream and can kill your dog. But you are right, Hartz is horrible. And we use a flea collar in our shop vac at the grooming salon and it seems to work really well.

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

Mom to:

Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur