Fleas in ears - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2004, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Fleas in ears

Hi

Can anyone help me please?

I have 2 cats who both have regular flea injections. On of my cats has been getting fleas at the base of the ears where the protective fluffy ear hair is I have used an additional pump spray on the area to try to help, but why would the fleas be congragating there??

My initial thought is he's had his head somewhere he shouldn't as he is limping slightly too (but getting better) - I live close to a farm, so there's a good source of live 'toys' which they sometimes bring back.

Any ideas if this is a problem? I suppose the injections will stop infestation, but this is the second time I have removed fleas (they line up along the edge, maybe 3 per ear so they are gone now but this is the second time...

Any advice would be appreciated?

Hondy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2004, 03:18 PM

What kind of flea injections are you using? I've never heard of injections for fleas before.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2004, 05:08 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

What kind of injection are you using to treat fleas? I've never heard of one either.

In order to treat a flea problem, it's very important to treat all the animals (in an appropriate mannor according to the animal, size, etc...) and treat the entire environment - house, carpet, bedding... etc.

I had a flea infestation from 2 kittens I rescued (this was many years ago). I had to take all the animals out of my house - treat the animals and I also had to call an exterminator. After it was safe to bring the children and animals back into the house I had to wash everything down - and I mean everything!

It was a fiasco.

If you could give us a little more information I am sure everyone will be happy to give you the best advice they have

Fleas really are a pain ...

[center]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2004, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses - the flea jab is by Program

it's this one I think, although I'm UK so maybe slightly different
http://www.petwellness.com/cat_proginject_disc.asp

I don't think a flea problem is the issue, I think he has been poking around the farm and got too close to a ferral cat or something that has had loads of fleas and passed them on, I haven't seen any evidence of eggs or larvae yet.

He's currently moping on the sofa looking rather miserable - if he doesn't perk up by the end weekend I may book him in to vets I think.

You should try the flea injection it saves on some hassle, although it doesn't stop the mischief...

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2004, 07:41 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

[QUOTE=hondy]I don't think a flea problem is the issue, I think he has been poking around the farm and got too close to a ferral cat or something that has had loads of fleas and passed them on, I haven't seen any evidence of eggs or larvae yet.[/QUOTE]

Hrrm, Hondy...

Fleas "jump hosts" or leave one host to feed from another very easily. It's why it's often so hard to get rid of them. When you part the cat's fur and look at his skin or near the roots of his fur, do you see any "flea dirt" or tiny black specks that look like ground black pepper?

If the cat is acting lethargic, not feeding well or seems "off" he could be quite infested. A copious infestation could lead to anemia. One or two fleas could cause an infestation rather quickly. The eggs would drop off and hatch in the carpets or bedding and the new fleas would jump right onto any passing animal - or even human - as they sense the heat from a mammal body.

I really do hate to make it sound so serious or be a "doomsayer".... please don't think I am making more to this than need be. I do think though that if you are noticing a change in your cat's behavior a visit to the vet just may give you the answer.

I don't think we have that shot available yet here in the U.S. Have any of you guys heard of it? I'll read the link - it sounds interesting!

Another thought.... could he have ear mites? Do you notice anything when you look into his ears? Do they look "dirty" or do you notice any blackish-brown matter in there?

Good Luck - I'm so sorry your cat isn't feeling well I hope he's feeling better real soon. Please keep us posted!

BTW - Welcome to PT!! Please feel free to post a hello in the Introductions section of the forum. You'll be welcomed by everyone!

[center]

[

Last edited by Deja; 05-01-2004 at 07:45 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2004, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

Deja - I appreciate the feedback.
The thing with the injections is that it prevents the females taking up residence in the fur, the eggs don't hatch because of the growth inhibitors, so although the fleas jump to a new host, you should only see ones that have jumped and not newly hatched ones. This makes me think that it isn't a flea infestation problem and more about where he goes.

Today he has gone out for a play, I haven't seen him all day so he must be feeling a little better...or else he has gone to get more fleas hehe.

I'll find out later what is going on and let you know
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2004, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

Well he was ok yesterday, but today he's miserable again. I think I'll take him/them to the vets - I think the flea injection has become ineffective as there seems to be a steady occurance of fleas

Thanks for your help
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2004, 01:37 PM

Yeah, it sounds like you definitely have a problem there ...

Deja is right ... it is probably anemia. Have you ever used these injections before? Is it possible he is having a bad reaction?

I think I remember hearing something about injections before ... something about it being in conjunction with heartworm shots (as an alternative to pills) or something like that ...

What other people have said is right .. you need to treat the environment too. As I understand it, most flea medications only stop eggs from hatching ... they do nothing at all for adult fleas.

We have it bad here in the city, too: stray cats bring fleas to already treated areas ... so it is a neverending battle.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2004, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Still no entirely convinced, Vinnie is happy enough at the moment. He has had the injection 3 times now and has been 1 month since injecting so I would rule out the reaction to the injection. The vet told me that the injection would eliminate any problems which presumably includes adult fleas - I have some industrial strength spray to kill eggs etc on furnishings/room which I have used as a precaution so I'll see how we get on.

Thanks all
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2004, 06:37 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

How close together were the injections?

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

They are every 6 months Marble, his next one is due in a little less than 5 months

Tags
ear mites, stray cats