Food? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Food?

This morning I noticed that Millie had thrown up her food uneaten as well. She has digestive problems so she is on digestive care food. When we last bought her food though we noticed that is wasn't as thick as it normally is. She has been fine up until this morning. I'm wondering could it be the food? She has to go to the vet on the 25th for her shots but if she continues to do this we plan on taking her in for a checkup just to make sure shes ok.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Well the good news is she hasn't thrown up since then but I'm wondering what could have caused her to do that. Anyone have any ideas?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 04:52 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

A lot of times if cats are used to being fed at a certain time, and not fed at that time, they can vomit. Also, kibble isn't crushed and brushed against the teeth like so many are led to believe - so it's perfectly common for a good portion of what they swallow to not be chewed up - they were designed to swallow whole chunks of food, and not crush each bit up finely. I'm assuming she ate her food, and shortly after(within like..a few minutes) vomited it back up? One of my parents' cats do that - only she does it because she gorges then it hits her stomach and comes back up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

She only has 4 or 5 teeth so she can't really chew too great but we were told she can eat solid food and she doesn't seem to have too much difficulty with it. She gets fed at the same time everyday so it wasn't that. Reason why I'm worried is because of her digestive problems. I'm not sure how long it was after she ate it but it didn't look eaten to me.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 03:20 AM
Adolescent Pup

If she has so little teeth then she is not chewing or breaking the food at all. You should really be feeding wet food or ground raw with supplements.

Because she isn't breaking the food down it's causing tummy upset and with so little teeth she really needs the softer, minimum chew food. Back before I got braces and jaw realignment I could barely chew my food and trust me, it's reeeally uncomfortable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

We knew that she had more than half of her teeth missing but never knew that she only had 4 or 5 as we were given vet records and a teeth diagram to show us which teeth were gone and it didn't look like she only had 4 or 5. I only noticed that when I checked her mouth that day to see if maybe her teeth were bugging her and was shocked to see how many she had left and was wondering why they told us she can eat solid food. We don't like the food brand that they told us to use for her either but are unsure of any of other brand that would be ok for her digestive problems but we have been looking around. If anyone has any suggestions on food brands that are ok for digestive problems please let me know.
Oh if anyone is wondering she is currently on Iams Digestive Care which is what we were told to give her and only change the food if it would help her digestive system. Our other cats eat Natures Best and we were told that they had her on it but had to switch her to what shes on now due to her digestive problems. Also she gets fed in a separate area then the rest of the cats so we know that shes getting her food and not the other food and vise versa.

Last edited by Kaylee; 01-18-2011 at 11:12 AM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 03:10 AM
Adolescent Pup

I believe some good brands of food are Orijen, Now, Wellness, Taste of the Wild, and Natural Balance. It's better to feed wet than dry anyhow and ALWAYS feed grain free. Some of the brands are solely dry but most have dry and wet. The best way to choose a cat food is to look at the ingredients. No 'by-products', corn, 'meal' (chicken meal, etc.), or other strange ingredients. The higher up on the list an ingredient is, the more it's present in the food.

Any of those 'purina, iams' etc. foods are bottom of the barrel and not good for cats. If you want more information go to catforum.com and read their nutrition area; it's what made me decide to go raw.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Thank you I will take a look. We do not like Iams at all and have been looking since we got her(in August end of August actually) for another brand that was better for her but also ok for her digestive system.