food question - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-26-2004, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

food question

We have 2 cats--7 months and 1 1/2 years. They eat together--What food do you recommend for both of them-----We're feeding them dry food (kitten food) Thanks---------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-26-2004, 10:05 PM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

You should switch them to an adult kitty food.

Do decide WHAT to switch them to, you should assess their individual needs. Do they have an allergy? A tendency to gain a lot of weight? What can you AFFORD?

There's a pletora of brands out there. I'm not going to recommend a single one because a) it will start a HUGE debate ( ) and b) what works for my cats may not work for yours/you may not be able to find it/you may not be able to afford it.

Look around. Also, I would continue to give them a dry kibble. If they don't have any special needs, a good dry kibble for regular adult cats would be just fine for them.

― Rowan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I've been frosted!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-26-2004, 10:16 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I've been doing a lot of research since one of my cats developed bladder stones and another chronic renal failure. I now suggest to people that they incorporate some good quality canned food (wellness/felidae) into their cats diet. A good premium kibble is good but I feel the canned food supplies them with the needed moisture they need. Many cats simply do not drink enough. This is just my opinion

Brenda
Caretaker of 2 dobermans,, 1 schnauzer, 5 cats, 3 goats, 1 parrot, 1 bearded dragon lizard, 11 chinchillas.
Rest in peace, Cricket, Casey, Bella, Yank, Chloe and Bones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-27-2004, 12:58 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTChin
Many cats simply do not drink enough. This is just my opinion
That's a good thing to add.

Though, my cats drink like camels, so I don't have that problem. Seriously, Gerona and Galina drink about 1.5-2 litres a day. It's not the poo that dirties the litterbox so much as the PEE. I used clumping litter ONCE and after three days had almost no litter left. Camel kitties.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-28-2004, 11:51 AM
Aspires to Change Oil

I agree that one should start switching over to an adult food, while taking into assessment the cats needs. I know I stuck with kitten food for some time, just because the high calorie was good for my underweight adult as well as the growing kitten. Also, be sure to do some mixing when you're testing brands. If you switch food I've found my cat tends to get sick with a sudden switch to something very different, ie. when I was testing an indoor formula rather than a simply adult forumla (not to mention different brands). Good luck finding something suitable.

, [username] .
are you new member? have questions?

Feel free to PM or IM me.
Contacts are my profile.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-28-2004, 02:45 PM
P-Diggity Dog Lover

I use Chicken Soup for the Cat Lovers Soul. I have a 14 year old, a 15 year old, and 2 - 7 month old kittens. They all love it, and since I switched I have not had piles of cat throw up all over the house. The two older cats love dry food, but no matter what I tried - they left the presents. It's $17.99 for a large bag.

I also give them can food. I switch off between brands.

Donna
Dallas, Houston & Peanut the Prairie Dogs
Gypsy & Amber the Satos
Apache, Amigo, Max, and Morgan the Kitties
Scooter, Annie, Buttercup & Squeaky the Guinea Pigs
Mocha & Latte the Rat A Tats
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-01-2005, 02:44 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

I'm new to the cat world so can't really recommend muh in the way of food. There's is one brand in aus that I like for my kitten...the only brand I can find with no by-products, which is what I want, but I do agree on the drinking thing. If they don't drink alot they need that mositure. My kitten is only 9 weeks old but he drinks a fair amount for his age so hopefully he'll continue that way!
Good luck!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 12:51 AM
Miss New Booty

My cats eat Wellness in the blue bag, chicken, it's a great food and they love it! It took me awhile to find a good food they all liked. They didn't touch Solid Gold or California Natural, and Ginger was allergic to the Innova. Natural Balance is a great food also. They liked it, but seemed to get tired of it after awhile, needed a change and they loved Wellness. Dallas, I have been hearing great things about Chicken Soup food! It sounds like an awesome food. Ginger seems to be allergic to fish and Salmon is the second ingrediant so I don't know how she would do trying it though?

~* Jackie *~

Tags
canned food, chicken soup, dry food, kitten food