Food reccomendation - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 02:19 AM Thread Starter

Food reccomendation

One of my mom's cats has crystals in his bladder The vet seems to think that it can be taken care of with a diet change though. She needs a good quality food that has no fish products in it, any reccomendations? We're looking for something that can be easily found at a petstore and is affordable because she's going to switch all 5 of her cats. My mom is the queen of cheap animal food, so that's why I ask for something affordable, she's been looking at Wellness and is iffy about the price on that Please no lectures about good quality food trust me, I've given them too her a thousand times! On the other hand, I have convinced her to finally switch the dog from Ol' Roy to Nutro!! Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 03:20 AM
Miss New Booty

Awwww your moms poor kitty! Well, Wellness is what I feed my guys actually! They just love it, but you are right, the prices can be a little iffy and sometimes it's hard to find. I had a hard time switching them over to anything and they just loved that. I don't know much about Nutro, but a friend of mine said her friend's cat did really well on it. How about NutroMax for cats? Here is the link on it, that might be a great food!http://www.nutroproducts.com/maxcatadult.asp
Another great food that my kitties liked as well, is Natural Balance. It seemed more affordable to me, and you can also get this at Petco, if there is one nearby. Here is a link. It has chicken and duck in it. The ingredients are listed as well! There is a store locator as well.

http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/products/UltCat.html
Hope I could help some, Becki!

~* Jackie *~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by kittygurl823; 01-16-2004 at 03:24 AM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 04:03 AM Thread Starter

That was perfect Jackie, thank you! The Natural balance looks really good, I'd never heard of it before. All of thier wet food had some sort of fish in it, but the dry didn't. The Nutro Max cat was the very first thing I suggested (I feed the dogs Nutro and am going to put the kittens on it as soon as they're old enough), but my mom INSISTED that it all had fish in it. I took her word for it, but I looked it up on the website you gave me (I should have before I listened to her, lol) and Max cat does not, and they have some varieties of canned that don't also (he's supposed to get canned also she says). Woo hoo, jackpot!

If anyone else has suggestions, please tell me, I'd like to give her as many options as I can so she still feels like she can shop around
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 11:36 AM

I know there are a couple foods that have come out recently for cats with urinary tract problems or bladder problems. For the life of me I can't remember who I want to say Eukenuba or Science diet. I will call my friend at the pet store see if she knows If she is already looking at Wellness then everything I know of is cheaper than that.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 03:22 PM
Miss New Booty

Becki YAY! I'm glad I could help. I think Natural Balance is great. My dachshunds are eating that right now, actually. Jasmine is still on Solid Gold b/c she does so great on it.

I'm glad the sites were helpful! Nutro looks very good, too! There is another one by Innova, called California Natural. I tried my guys on it, but they wouldn't have it. Cats are very picky I have learned! LOL!!!!
Wow as I am looking at the ingrediants of the canned foods, most all of them have fish, don't they?! I didn't even know Nat Bal. had any fish in the canned. That's awesome Nutro doesn't!!The Wellness canned turkey and chicken I don't think does. Here is the link if you wanna just check it out.
http://www.omhpet.com/cats/wellness_...=canCatChicken

Let us know what your mom decides!!

~* Jackie *~

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 06:36 PM

My Mom feeds some Dad's urinary tract cat food I think but I don't know if it has fish products in it, here let me call her because despite all my lecturing she is still bad with the food as well.....

Yeah it is dad's and they had the same problem with Tigger, and ever since they changed over they hadn't had a problem. 9My Mom says make sure you tell her it happens more in Males)

Tags
canned food, cat food, pet store, poor kitty, wet food