Found abandoned kittens, Dont know what to do. Please help! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Unhappy Found abandoned kittens, Dont know what to do. Please help!

Hello, everyone!

So my friend has found 3 abandoned kittens in her yard.
I assume their mother was scared away.

This friend of mine has never had any kind of pets before and has no knowledge on what to do. She has called me for help, however I have never raised kittens that young, I've only raised 2 month old kittens.

I don't know how old her kittens are, i think they're two or three weeks old. Their eyes are open but their ears are still floppy and their legs appear to be weak.

Also according to her she has never seen them poop or pee.

I told her about the stimulating technique that i read about once. I don't know if she tried it yet or not.

She also doesn't know how to feed them, i don't know how to do that as well.

If anyone has any exprience in the matter please help!
I'm really worried for those kittens!

i need someone to tell me exactly what should be done for thpse kittens and what equipments and food they need.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 03:03 PM
Friend to All Animals

the best thing to do would be to call your nearest local shelter or vet and see if they have a mother who might be able to foster them (a mother cat will provide the best care to the babies)

if you are unable to find a foster mother, here is what you do

ABOUT FEEDING:
go to your nearest shelter or vet clinic and buy some kitten formula (almost all vets carry kitten formula) kitten replacer is commonly used. It can probably be bought at a petstore, too.
http://www.petco.com/product/119448/PetAg-PetLac-Kitten-Milk-Replacement.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch
Almost any brand of kitten milk replacer will work for the babies, as long as it is meant for kittens. DO NOT use puppy milk or human milk! You can also purchase a small "nipple bottle" from a petstore or vet clinic also, that you can use to feed them. Or use a small syringe or eyedropper.
Feed the kittens every 3-6 hours to begin with and as they age you can gradually start spanning the time. (6-12 hours, 12-15, twice a day, so on and so forth)
Only mix the milk replacer BEFORE you use it and serve it to them WARM, cold replacer will give them loose stools and might make them sick. If you make too much replacer, throw it out and make new the next time you feed- stale or old milk will make kittens sick.
You will have to learn to pace with the kitten- only supply AS it's drinking. If milk is coming out of its nose, you are feeding too much at once. If milk comes out, you also need to wipe it away from the nose with a warm, moist wash cloth.
I usually just fed my kittens as much as they would take, they usually decide how much to eat and when they're full. I've never had a problem with bloated kittens. They always stopped when they were full.
Feed the kitten laying down. DO NOT tip the kitten upside-down (like a baby). That can make them drown or their lungs may fill with fluids. Feed it like it would nurse from a mother, laying down on it's belly. Keep the kittens' faces clean and keep whatever you are using to feed them sanitary. Clean them in hot water after every use and in between feedings and if you are using the same device for all the kittens, make extra special sure they are clean before moving onto the next kitten.

ABOUT POTTYING:
As mentioned, you will have to stimulate these babies to pee and poop up until they are able to easily do it themselves. Use a warm, moist wash cloth, cotton ball, cotton swab, paper towel, toilet paper, napkin, ect. to gently rub the kittens' bottoms. Do not rub too hard, but do rub on their genitals for at least 2 minutes. If they don't go potty by then, then they do not need to.
Check to make sure the feces looks normal while you are stimulating them to go potty.
Keep their bottoms clean or their rears can get blocked.
Stimulate all kittens after EACH feeding.

ABOUT BURPING:
Yes, they do need to be burped. Basically, you can lay them down on their belly (in the "nursing-from-mom" position) and pat their backs lightly. You might or might not hear a burp from them. If they don't burp, don't worry; not all kittens burp when being burped.

PROVIDE:
You will want to keep the kittens together. Keep them in a smaller box, just big enough for them to turn around and wiggle around a little bit in. Make sure it is a TALL box, so there are no chances of escape. Do not get a box with a lid, as this will not provide enough ventilation. We housed our kittens in a laundry basket.
Cover the top of the box with a light-weight sheet, to keep out the light. But make sure that there is still plenty of air circulation through it. Since their ears and eyes aren't even open yet, it will be important that light intake to their eyes is minimum so they will not have eye problems as adults.
Provide a heating pad, make sure it is covered by towels and blankets, though, so the kittens will not get burned, you need to be able to feel the heat through the bottom of the box, up to the top layer where the kittens will be laying. Provide plenty of towels for maximum comfort and make sure the general air temperature and towels stay warm. When you pick up the kittens, their bodies should be warm and not cold; if they are cold, you need to adjust the temperature so it is warmer for them.
You might also try placing plastic bottles of hot water along the sides (cover them up with towels) to provide something warm to lay against.
Keep the kittens together!
You can also place a stuffed animal in the box with them, it will act as a mother and help with comfort.

~ Proud mommy of rabbits, rodents, and a dog ~
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 03:09 PM
Friend to All Animals

I have raised 12 kittens off of what I have told you here. Just in case you are wondering about weaning times and such; here are 3 sites that you can read on to learn more.
http://www.2ndchance.info/orphankitten.htm

http://www.luckycatadoptions.org/Han...%20Kittens.pdf

http://www.petalia.com.au/Templates/...s&story_no=758

Let me know how they do! And also, when you are first trying to feed them; they will not easily accept the milk. You will have to try very hard to make them get the first few drops down- do not be harsh or too forceful. Just be gentle and have patience.
And also be sure that you minimize handling time as much as possible. Keep their box in a non-drafty place and have them in a low-noise area, do not allow children to handle.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thank you so much!
I want to ask, are there any substitutes to kitten formula?
The kittens mother seem to come by every once and a while, she takes them and leaves, after a few hours they find the littens back in their box ..
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 12:28 AM
Friend to All Animals

normally you would want to use kitten formula but if that is not available nearby you can get Non-Dairy Coffee Creamer and mix it using the instructions... it is a VERY POOR substitute but it will keep the kittens' tummies full until you could get proper milk substitutes.
Did you handle the kittens a lot? Sometimes mother cats abandon their children if they have human scent on them. She might be confused since a mixture of baby, human, and her scent is on them. Is she a really skinny cat? She might also be malnourished and unable to actually feed them herself (malnourished mothers = no milk for babies). She might keep moving them somewhere but finds danger in the place that she moves them, so she brings them back to be safe with you.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 09:43 PM
Newborn Pup

One of my friend did like this:
let the cat live in her garage for a while, then post pic and info to online forum, found a new home for the cat. Happy ending.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 02:21 AM
Playful Pup

I likewise have that situation, last night i found a kitten at my grandmom's yard, maybe she was like weeks old. My granny said that she will look after her for several weeks/months and afterwards post in on some pet classifieds online for those who are interested to adopt it.

Top-Quality, Reliable and Fashionable
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-PetStreetMall.com

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 05:19 AM
Newborn Pup

Get in contact with your local rescue group and see if they can help you out good luck
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 02:01 AM
Newborn Pup

How is your kittens now?

Tags
abandoned kitten, kittens