Found myself a cat! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Red face Found myself a cat!

Hey all.
Yesterday my bf and I were walking to my car after school was out, and we saw this adorable little orange tabby. We called her and she came over, and followed us all the way to our car! So we grabbed her and now she is in our garage, separated from Nelly.

We think she belongs to someone in the apartments closest to campus, if she does I will feel kinda dumb for taking her. I mean the apartments are definitely not close, I'd say maybe a 5 block walk. . . But I really don't want someone yelling at me for taking their cat. Guh. But I'm going to put up posters on my lunch break today.

I also hope she doesn't have a home, so we can keep her Nelly is going crazy meowing at the garage door, and she went on a crazy playing spree for longer than we've ever seen her play! I think she really needs a friend, and I think this cat would be perfect. I'd bet they're around the same age.

Is there a point where we can introduce them? Nelly has all her shots, and we've checked this new cat for fleas and she doesn't have any. (is that weird for a stray?). Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 01:44 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Fleas are drawn to cats that don't eat good food. So; if the cat is a stray, and been catching its own meals, it wouldn't have fleas. Whereas, if the cat is someone's cat, and it has been coming back home after being out, and they're feeding it, and they're feeding it commercial pet food, it will have fleas. If the cat is a stray, and been taking handouts from neighbors, instead of hunting on its own, then it would have fleas. Our cats are on Wysong, and they've been in rooms with flea-infested cats, and a single flea never lands on them.

So, it really has everything to do with the orange tabby's diet whether it has fleas or not.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 03:05 PM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlickeringHope View Post
Fleas are drawn to cats that don't eat good food. So; if the cat is a stray, and been catching its own meals, it wouldn't have fleas. Whereas, if the cat is someone's cat, and it has been coming back home after being out, and they're feeding it, and they're feeding it commercial pet food, it will have fleas. If the cat is a stray, and been taking handouts from neighbors, instead of hunting on its own, then it would have fleas. Our cats are on Wysong, and they've been in rooms with flea-infested cats, and a single flea never lands on them.

So, it really has everything to do with the orange tabby's diet whether it has fleas or not.
Wow. I'm not sure how to respond to a post like that.

If only it were that easy to deal with fleas for some folks....

Fleas don't care what your cat is eating, they only care about eating. I've seen wild animals, eating natural diets (wolves, coyotes, bobcats, lynx) that are eating diets natural to that animal, and they have fleas.

If it were only a matter of diet, I think there would be a huge fortune to be made by some company to advertise that it's food is not only healthy, but your animal won't get fleas.

Luckily for us, the government fobids making false claims like that.

Before introducing her to Nelly, get her a good checkup, all her shots and very importantly ...test for Feline Leukemia.

Sounds like she and Nelly are both in for a new friendship.

Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 03:09 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

It does have to do with diet. As does the infliction with parasitic worms have to do with diets. Changing the biological diet of the creature to commercial pet food creates the perfect environment for parasites.

And I'd like to know how you've actually been close enough to wild animals in order to see them have fleas >.>
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Yeah, its awful but I'm kind of hoping she doesn't have a home.

Nelly has her shot against feline leukemia, and I'm not going to introduce them anytime within the next 3 or so days. . . I guess I'm just trying to save money if I have to take the new kitty in for a check-up. I dunno.

Put up the posters....I really hope no one calls, we have been thinking about getting another cat but couldn't really bring ourselves to do it (all the negatives were just too much) but if one comes to us we can't turn it away!

I just hope no one gets mad that I took in their cat...I hope I don't get any "She would have found her way home!" or "She wasn't THAT far away!"'s. MLEH.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Nelly has her shot against feline leukemia, and I'm not going to introduce them anytime within the next 3 or so days. . . I guess I'm just trying to save money if I have to take the new kitty in for a check-up
I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't know if 1) she has a home 2) if Nelly and her will actually get along and 3) When I would feel comfortable spending money on her. I would, if those other 2 things work out. Its just the order is all screwy lol.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 07:21 PM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlickeringHope View Post
It does have to do with diet. As does the infliction with parasitic worms have to do with diets. Changing the biological diet of the creature to commercial pet food creates the perfect environment for parasites.

And I'd like to know how you've actually been close enough to wild animals in order to see them have fleas >.>
This isn't even a debate. There is no scientific evidence that a "natural", as opposed to a "commercial" diet will in any way affect parasitic invertebrates such as fleas. Fleas are drawn to body heat and vibrations, the diet doesn't change that.

Ingesting poisons, like pyrethrins or other potentially harmful chemicals might kill the fleas, but it won't stop them from biting.

If you want to debate this, I'll be glad to accommodate you on another thread. ...but not on this one.

You want to know how I know coyotes have fleas? I've worked with wildlife professionally for over twenty years. I've seen plenty of wild animals, both captive and wild, native and exotic, up close; live, dead, drugged and darted....and I've got a couple of scars to prove it.

I appreciate that you want to do the best for your animals, ...I get that. However, your experiences, as valid as they are for you, are really just anecdotal. You may have great luck at avoiding fleas on your cat. It might be the diet as you say, ...or it might be that you unknowingly live on a toxic waste site and all the invertebrate life died years ago.

It's ludicrous to make a broad assumption like:
Quote:
Fleas are drawn to cats that don't eat good food. So; if the cat is a stray, and been catching its own meals, it wouldn't have fleas. Whereas, if the cat is someone's cat, and it has been coming back home after being out, and they're feeding it, and they're feeding it commercial pet food, it will have fleas.
There is just no basis in fact for a statement like that. The scientist in me doesn't know whether to laugh out loud that you would actually say something like that, or to feel sad that you would believe it.

Either way, I'm done with the temporary hijack.

becrac16, my apologies. I started the debate and I'm sorry I got off topic.

I do think you should rethink putting them together unless you do a Fe-Leuk test on the new kitty. No vaccine is 100% reliable, 100% of the time. I wouldn't think it worth it to risk Nelly if there were the chance they might not get along. The only "cure" for Feline Leukemia, is death.

Bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

I got a call from the cat's owner after class today, and took it over to him. At first I thought he was going to be mad, but it turned out to be a guy both my bf and I know, and he was cool about it. He actually said thanks for keeping him and not turning him in to animal services lol. He said he has to pay 60 bucks to get him out of there every time, so I guess the little guy gets picked up a lot! He says he just has a huge range, and there's not much he can do to help it. If I was that cat I would have a huge range as well, since that apartment complex is filled with cats. There are cats roaming everywhere there, I don't know if they all have homes, or if many of them have more than one home!

Either way, the cat (named Captain Mittens for his 6 toes) made it home safely.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 12:55 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

He needs to keep it home then. and keep id tags on it. No one should be mad that you took and cared for a cat that you found in a street. Now if you start going into homes to steal cats.... then they can be mad and you are quick at becoming a crazy cat lady

[/CENTER]

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

No, he wasn't mad, which was good. But I feel like there are people out there that would be mad...Meh. Its always kinda hard to say whether the cat has a home or not, so I figured I would just take it home instead of not. People who dont put tags on their animals should almost expect it...

Tags
stray cat