Found a stray...HELP - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
canis lupus familiaris

Question Found a stray...HELP

This isn't the neighborhood stray but shes so nice, she probably led this kitten to the free food and water. Our neighborhood stray finds kittens all the time and leads them to water. She had an ear tip when we became acquainted which was some time last year so we know they aren't hers.

I was hearing some meowing coming from somewhere for a while. Today I was outside taking the dogs out for their morning potty and went to investigate further when I felt something hit my shoulder...yeah it was a cat! Holy crap.

I gave her some cat food and water but she wanted some lovin. The only problem is...she is afraid of the dogs...or their faces at least. I had Spyro out there with me with his head down and she came right up to us. As soon as Spyro lifted his head, she hissed even though he wasn't looking at her.

Anyway we brought her in the house...well she made her way in the house and we put her in a spare room. We have another kitten thats very young (no more than 6 or 7 weeks) that didn't mind. However this new kitten walked up to her and hissed.

It wouldn't be so bad and we could keep her isolated but she is a stubborn one. She doesn't want to see the dogs or the other kitten BUT she wants to wander the house. We ended up just leaving her outside with ice water (that I am putting more ice in) but we're worried. Neighborhood cat knows which houses are safe...I don't think this kitten knows.

We are trying to avoid trips to the shelter due to it being kitten season still but we don't know how to get this kitten to...accept any of us (except me oddly enough.) She looks to be about 12 weeks old.

[B]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Spyro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Loki
Luna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 08:38 PM
Guarded by Waffles

If you are interested in keeping her it will take a lot of time and patience. The best thing I can suggest, that worked with me when I tamed some unsure kittens was putting them in a small room so she is alone and safe. When you have time go in there and just sit and talk or read or just be there. Let her come to you and she'll eventually (it my experience) climb on you or rub on you. When she feels close then slowly try petting. The dogs I can't help you with but I figure once she feels secure in whatever room and she's responding well to you open it up and make sure there are perches for her to escape to. As long as the dogs don't try to hurt her I figure she'll learn that one and come around. It just takes a lot of time. Good luck! I will be glad to share my experience if you ever have any questions from what I can share.

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
canis lupus familiaris

She or he..whatever seemed fine with me. She rubbed up against me and even came to me. Its like she adopted the house lol.

[B]
Spyro
Loki
Luna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 08:41 PM
Guarded by Waffles

Are you trying to make her an inside kitten?

Christine
Mommy to:

And the rest:

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
canis lupus familiaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by christine View Post
Are you trying to make her an inside kitten?
Possibly if not just temporary. I know it would stress her but so would dropping her off at the shelter. It was like 106 outside yesterday and she took off somewhere. I thought I heard her early this morning but shes black and you know...blends in with the night. I left some food out again and it was gone this morning so I'm assuming she comes around when she thinks the dogs won't see her.

[B]
Spyro
Loki
Luna
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 05:02 PM
Guarded by Waffles

It depends on what you want to do. For it's safety I would suggest her becoming an inside kitty.

Christine
Mommy to:

And the rest:

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
canis lupus familiaris

k now I can hear her but cannot for the life of me find her.

[B]
Spyro
Loki
Luna
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 12:22 AM
Guarded by Waffles

Under the porch? In an attic? I would put food out where you usually do and it might be gone in the morning. If it's not or she's still crying start hunting. I found my cat and her siblings in insulation in the barn attic so it might be somewhere weird.

Christine
Mommy to:

And the rest:

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
canis lupus familiaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by christine View Post
Under the porch? In an attic? I would put food out where you usually do and it might be gone in the morning. If it's not or she's still crying start hunting. I found my cat and her siblings in insulation in the barn attic so it might be somewhere weird.
I think shes under my house..holy crap. We have a raised foundation with screen around open areas so I have no idea how...but I cut open some space.

[B]
Spyro
Loki
Luna
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 09:20 PM
Guarded by Waffles

If she hasn't come out by now and can do it without a lot of damage it might be a good idea. I found Jezebel and her siblings in a barn attic and have NO idea how they were supposed to get down (I put them in my backpack though).

I think if she's still down there she'll come out when she smells food. I still suggest moving her into a small room so she can stay out of trouble and be socialized best. Good luck! Keep me posted!

Christine
Mommy to:

And the rest:

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out