Giving cats Amitriptyline for Stress - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Giving cats Amitriptyline for Stress

I have a multiple cat household where 3 out of 5 cats are on Amitriptyline because they don't get along. One is the alpha male who picks on one of the other males and then that male picks on one of the females. I have these 3 on this medication to reduce the stress and it does help, but not completely. Is there any other way of making these cats get along better without the meds? I feel guilty for having them on the meds in the first place, but they were urinating all over the house because of the stress. These cats are too old for someone to adopt and I refuse to take them to a shelter and dump them off on someone else. I also don't want to keep them in cages because that seems cruel...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 03:34 PM
Hello Earthling

Are they neutered? A bit more information would be useful in answering your question.

You can buy these things that release a smell that calms cats.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Yes they all have been spayed and neutered. I've used Feliway in the past and it helped some, but became too expensive and stopped treating the house with it. There were simply too many areas to cover with it. They have stopped urinating for the most part and I am in the process of cleaning the house of the urine stains. I do have one older cat that is sick and urinates by the front door on the vinyl floor still though. He is very old and will not be around much longer. He is impossible to give the meds to and I gave up on that long ago. The others just fight sometimes, and it's mostly between the alpha male and the younger male. The younger male gained a massive amout of weight and I may be switching him to prozac. I tried it briefly and he did well, but the other two relapsed into their previos behavior. The female became even more timid and stayed hidden when I switched her to Prozac. I also have another female with a severe overgrooming problem that I may start to treat with the Amitriptyline.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 06:22 PM
Part of the Pack

Wow! Sounds like you've got your hands full! I've dealt with cats that won't get along, also. And we did discuss medication with our vet, but he wasns't very happy with the idea. Too many side effects, and he said you couldn't keep them on it forever. I don't remember the name of the medicine, but I thought it had estrogen in it. My problem now is my male cat fights with one of the younger females! When we first took Lucy in (the female), they got along fine! Then we moved and about 6 months later, Lucky (the male aggressor) went wild on Lucy and nearly tore her up! After 2 of these incidents, the vet said it was probably transferred aggression because when we moved to town, there were constantly stray cats in the yard and because Lucky couldn't get to them, he took it out on Lucy (being the newbie). After deciding against medicating him, we put a screen door up between the kitchen and living room (dividing the house in half). We just keep Lucky and Lucy separated at all times. He doesn't mess with Quinnie, the original female, so she can be wherever she chooses. That was our simplest solution.

~Amy~ Mom to Lucy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Forever in our hearts...
Mina, Psyche, Puff, Bootsy, Tommy, Sooner, Quinnie, and Lucky.

~and last but not least, my bunbun Roger~
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 03:40 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Tommycat, that sounds like good solution. It is recommended too to separate the fighting cats for weeks and months. One solution too is to let a cat roam to a room, move out the cat then replace him with other cat to roam around. Do the same with other cats for days and weeks, also avoid them seeing/meeting each other. This way they will use to the scents of each one, and soon there is a chance that will just ignore each other.

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

Visit -
- for fun and tips for pets!

Tags
cats behavior