Got a question... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Got a question...

I don't understand this, ...my cat will scratch at the vinyl floor where his dish sits (actually at the floor where he stands at to get a drink from his dish) ..he does this right before he will drink. At first I thought that maybe he sees his own reflection off the top of the waters surface, ..but he just did it again tonight, and this time it was with lactose free milk, so I dunno. Any ideas.

Please advise.

reeB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 01:28 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

he's trying to cover his food/drink. in the wild, cats will cover their food so they can eat it later.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 05:19 AM
Resident Pixie

Goldie sometimes does this.

Ronald Hickey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Goldie's DOB 04/03/02

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Seriously? That sounds a lil' silly when it comes to the liquids, ..solids would certainly be understandable.

Y'know, here's something else I'm growing more concerned about, ...even though he's been eating a lot of IAMS canned wet cat food recently, it just doesn't seem that my male yearling, "Spook", is drinking enough fluids, not as much as he should anyway. At first he would try to drink from the toilet , ..but I promptly put a stop to that before he ever really got started, ..that's just nasty . Curious, what can be done to increase my cats water intake? Anything?

Also, he seems to like "Country Vet" (hard) cat food, ..we tried Tender Vittles, but I found it surprising that he didn't care that much for it, ..I had a cat when I was a child that absolutely loved Tender Vittles cat food. He goes freaking nuts over this IAMS wet canned food, ...my girlfriends mother is a supervisor at the local IAMS plant, she gives us boxes of various canned cat foods all the time. He whines if he doesn't get it, ...I heard that there are many good reasons that cats should maintain a hard food diet, but that's just something I'd heard once before. Any truth to this? I know that it's prolly great for keeping their teeth clean of plaque and tartar. Anyone?

Thanks!
reeB
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 10:17 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Wet canned food has a high moisture content, so they will not drink as much on a wet diet as on dry. However cats are not the type of animal though that will think "I'm thirsty, I should get a drink". They drink if the oppertunity is presented to them. Having only 1 water bowl is usally the cause of inadequet drinking. Try to place water bowls all around the house. The more oppertunities there are, the more likely the cats are to drink.
As for dry vs wet on the dental aspect, it is still debated. People will support both sides. I personally choose to feed dry, except for my cat with FLUTD.
One other thing, as I am sure quite a few others will tell you. Iams is considered by many, one of the worst foods you can feed your cat. Tender Vittles too is low quality grocery store food. I am not familar with country vet, I'd have to look it up. But chances are if it is available at a grocery store it's not great.

Some threads you might want to read:
http://forums.paw-talk.net/showthrea...highlight=food
http://forums.paw-talk.net/showthrea...highlight=food
http://forums.paw-talk.net/showthrea...highlight=Iams

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 04:40 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Isnt Iams supposed to be bad coz they do some bad animal testing???

My handsome Prince

Swirly, Squashy, Squishy, Spot, Star, Slash and Rocky

Indy and Myfanwy

Tilly, Emil, Sonny and Smudge
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 04:49 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

i agree with Lixx 100%. i would never feed Iams or Tender Vittle. JMO. if the cat really wants the wet food, try mixing a little with dry food. better diet that way and better teeth. as far as the water goes - you could also try having something that has running water. for example, you could get one of those decorative things with the rocks that has water cascading over them (the small ones). cats like running water or really fresh water. make sure you clean the water bowl out a few times a day. some cats will not drink from a dirty water bowl.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 07:00 PM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

My cat, Galina, does the covering bit with EVERYONE'S food in the house and the water bowls, too. If she walks by the dog food bowl and there's a few morsels left, she gets this look that says, "Hey! You didn't eat all your food ... can't be letting this go to waste, now ..."

Most people say cats should maintain a hard food diet because it helps keep tartar build up down. I'm a bit split on this. My cats have always had a hard food diet, and just the other day on inspection of Gerona's back teeth, I noticed some plaque. So, I don't think hard food helps much with keeping it down. Even though the cat doesn't like it, I think brushing their teeth is the only way to really prevent tartar and plaque (just like in people).

As for the food bit, it's been hashed out so many times here, I hope no one starts it all over again. Everyone has their own opinion on what a good brand of food is, but I feel each owner should make their own individual choices based on their own personal research and how they feel about a food to make a decision on as to what they feed their cats (and/or dogs). lixx posted some good links from the cat section on foods, and the debate section has a thread where IAMS was (heavily) debated about (http://forums.paw-talk.net/showthread.php?t=22048).

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 08:34 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

My cat always sticks his paw in the water before he drinks, and I had another cat before him who also did the same thing.
That's interesting about Iams, I buy the iams dog bisquits for my dogs quite a lot.
Time to change now.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-06-2005, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thanks all!! So then, what are the names of some of the better cat foods? What is recommended?

I would also ask the same question with regards to feeding an adolescent miniature dachshund? Please advise.

My mother seems to think that Science Diet is good dog food, because that's what the vet told her, however, I'd have to disagree. I heard that vets often recommend Science Diet food because they get some kind of kick back from the SD manufacturer, ..also, many vets don't have any nutritional education, as this is not required to become a vet.

Thanks!
reeB
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 12:30 AM
Adolescent Pup

When choosing food, I look for a couple things. The first thing I look for is that the main (first) ingredient is real meat. Then I see if it has been tested and approved by AAFCO and being "complete and balanced." Then, of course, Pixel has to like it
Pixel loves SD so that's what we feed her. Some vets (and doctors, dentists, etc) do recommend things just because they get money for it. But that doesn't mean they only get money for the bad products. Our current vet doesn't sell anything or get money from any products. We talked to her about pet foods, and she approved of SD too.
Another note, I've heard that only dry and wet foods are good for cats. Semi-moist usually have lots of preservatives in them. I've never met a cat that didn't love Tender Vittles, but it's probably best as just an occasional treat.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 09:54 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

SD imo, isn't that great, though it's certainly not the worst. I myself feed RC http://www.feline-nutrition.com/ But there are many others too. In the thread links I posted, many are mentioned.

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 07:44 PM
Adolescent Pup

What don't you like about SD? I'm relatively new to buying cat food, but I did a lot of research before deciding what to feed Pixel. What else is important to look for in cat food?
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 10:38 PM
New Title? MEMBER.

I posted this in another thread...
http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/showp...3&postcount=14
IMHO, it is fairly comprehensive and explains what labels mean. That post is actually about dog food but the same goes for cat food.

Quote:
The first thing I look for is that the main (first) ingredient is real meat. Then I see if it has been tested and approved by AAFCO and being "complete and balanced."
Actually, the first ingredient being a "meal" is probably going to be better than a "meat". But the link above explains that too. AAFCO guidelines are so lax that even foods like Friskies. Most states have adopted the guidelines as law so looking for an AAFCO approved food does little to ensure quality.

Like Lixx said, Science Diet isn't the worst...but it's not the best either. For the same price, you could be feeding a better food.
Adult Original ingredients...
Quote:
Chicken by-product meal, corn meal, brewers rice, animal fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), corn gluten meal, chicken liver flavor, taurine, preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid, minerals (potassium chloride, calcium sulfate, salt, ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), rosemary extract, beta carotene, vitamins (choline chloride, vitamin A supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (a source of vitamin C), niacin, thiamine mononitrate, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement).
IMHO, by-products and corn have no place in pet food. Corn and brewer's rice are low quality fillers. And animal fat is a collective feed term that can refer to any combination of animals...this means that the composition of this ingredient can change in each bag that you buy (the company does that on purpose to save money).

Better choices in the same price range are Nutro Natural Choice (contains corn but no by-products) and Precise (contains corn but no by-products). Even better choices, but more expensive are Innova, Wysong, Wellness, Felidae, and many more.

Candice

A friendly forum for pets and their owners!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 12:35 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

on the food debate we sell SD at work and I refuse to buy it. I order in Royal canin for my cat and my dog is on an all natural diet. Decent pet food in aus is hard to come by but royal canin was the first one that didn't have by-products and the girl I spoke to about it told me which one was her favourite. She said that anyone working for the company has tried them all...I liked that. If it is good enough for them to eat then it's good enough for my kitten. We don't sell it cause our clients won't pay for it...the sd is cheaper and they still gripe about that.
As for the plaque thing...dry food is better over wet food to help prevent it but it isn't enough. You either need to brush their teeth, give them a chicken neck or wing to chow down on or expect to pay for veterinary dental work! My cat gets dry food only...but we feed him tuna, sardines, raw chicken pieces, chicken necks etc. as well. He gets his moisture from more natural foods.

Too lazy to even think of a siggy

Tags
calcium pantothenate, canned food, cat food, choline chloride, dog food, dry food, folic acid, food bowl, nutro natural choice, pet food, pet foods, pyridoxine hydrochloride, royal canin, thiamine mononitrate, water bowl, wet cat food, wet food