Gross question but-wet farts? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2003, 12:08 AM Thread Starter

Post Gross question but-wet farts?

Hey guys! In the last 3 days I have noticed once, and Ray has noticed twice, that Smeagol's backside sometimes isn't exactly clean, it is ummm still wet with some like "poop juice". I wonder if it is possible for cats to have maybe wet farts.

Smeagol likes being held up on your shoulder like a baby, Ray was patting him and said "Oh you have a little gas." Then he was like ewwww, oh yes Ray had a little kitty loving on his shirt. The same thing happened to me the other day, and Ray said once he noticed a spot on the carpet yesterday. The scoopable litterboxes see nothhing unusual no poop splatters or anything equally nasty.

I am going to quit giving them any treats and see if this stops it, if not I guess we will have to go to the vets. Has anyone else had this problem or something similiar?

I haven't changed his diet at all, he is still running around and being a maniac. I hope I am just being overly worried because after Smitty being sick and being put to sleep, I really don't know how well I'll do if Smeagol is sick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2003, 12:14 AM
Erin

hope it's nothing that isn't easily stopped!

The only big deal I've had is poo being trailed up the steps strung together with pig hay

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2003, 08:57 AM
Princess in Waiting

Cool

Sounds like an anal gland problem to me - which would definately involve a veterinarian. Although it isn't the easiest thing in the world to do, one can express a cats anal glands (you just don't want to be the one doing the holding!)

It's possible that he has some sort of infection in those glands.

Cats don't have nearly the problem with them that dogs do, but they can have problems. We had one cat who would express his every time we picked him up or tried to play with him. Lovely smell - something you want to wash off immediately if not sooner!

Short of removal of the anal glands (which can cause a whole new set of problems) if it isn't an infection I don't know what you do. Hate to sound like a broken records, but you might be able to talk to your vet on the phone and see if he has any advice other than "bring him in".

Good luck - that stuff is so nasty!!

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2003, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, I'd rather take a stinky butt to what we went through with Smitty again. Can you pretty much say it sounds like if we go it isn't "serious" serious, where like ebventually I''ll come home with one less cat, because honestly I am scared to even call the vet.

Do you realize I have had more problems with these cats in 1 year, then my mom has ever had. I think it is because she might have just ignored their illnesses. I mean i feed them good food, kep their litter the same, give them less then the daily allotted amount of treats, measure the food.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2003, 03:36 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Capn, does this happen all the time, or do you notice him using the litterbox before it happens? One cat that I had always had....ummm.....some leftovers. Then it would dry. Eww! I nicknamed him crusty butt flakes!

Call the vet just to be safe. I'm hoping that Critter is right and he just needs his anal glands expressed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2003, 10:49 PM
Princess in Waiting

Cool

If the problem is that he is expressing his anal glands like that, it isn't a life and death situation and there may be nothing to do about it other than possibly some behaviour changes - both you guys and the cat. I know with our cat if you startled him you could always be assured of wearing "eau de anal gland" until you changed clothes or took a shower.

IMO, worst possible scenario at this point might be an infection which could be cleared up with some antibiotics. But the vet needs to check to see that one is not impacted, etc.

Short class in case you don't know. They have two anal glands, one on either side of their rectum. Usually they are emptied when they defecate. They use them to mark their territory.

I'd say that you are well marked by now and need to call the vet. I'll come up and hold you hand if you need me to!

CRITTERCALL

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2003, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Well it hasn't happened since I posted this Thursday night...and I do believe it was right after his litter use. Maybe he was having some messy poops and his butt was still just damp? His behavior has been as crazy as usual, believe me I analyze their every meow since Smitty got sick----
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2003, 09:29 PM
Princess in Waiting

Cool

That's a real possibility - John Robert often gets what we refer to as "puddin' poops" because of the consistency and we sometimes have to cut the hair on his rear end because it sticks to him.

I know you're keeping a tight eye on him - just don't drive yourself crazy!

CRITTERCALL