Grr Trinity - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2005, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
I'm A Blonde At Heart

Grr Trinity

Well I am greatful that nothing happend to her. I was taking a 2 step ladder outside and while doing this Trinity got out. I didnt even see her. So i came inside and i was like wait a minute wheres my cat. My house is only 750 sq ft and i know all her hiding spots and i couldnt find her any where. Last night i took off her coller so she could eat some wet food but it will get all yucky with food so i took it off. Didn't put it back on. So I had no idea where she was. My neighbor found her while she was working in her garden. But every time i tried to get close to her she would go prancing but she wouldnt venter far from my sight, just exploring, she finally went into our basement where i cornered her. She wont leave my yard if i leave but still the whole idea of her getting out scared me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2005, 03:45 AM

Aww I am sorry sweetie that must of been awful for you...*hugs* I am glad you have got her back inside now...and she is safe and sound with you.

I had a simular experiance last night, Our Eviecat excaped....as we were going out the door. It was pitch black and we were trying to sort out our car which had been in a crash. Eviecat is sensitive so picks up on stuff easily so she was already upset about everything. Then she goes and excapes and doesn't know the area...and its black and she is black...I was so worried about her and cried my heart out and kept following her as I couldn't loose my baby.

So it looks like we've both had a scare...but both cats are now home and safe.

Eva x
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 08:31 PM
Adolescent Pup

Oh, I know the feeling! Lately Chuckie is trying to escape anytime the door gets opened! Once in a while the cats will push out a window screen and Chuckie and Spyder will go out the window. It doesn't seem to bother Chuckie but when I get Spyder back inside he usually pants for about an half an hour until he calms down, so I don't know why he goes out when it scares him! They've always been an indoor cat so it does scare me when they try to get out.

Diane~ owned by~ 7 cats, Chuckie, Spyder, Winnie, Stormy, Crystal and Francine
3 ferrets, Shoops, Rocky and Jazzy
and a hermit crab, Zoidburg
RIP Roo 1989-2005
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 09:21 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

My cat always tries to go out to...she wants to explore everything, but since she may have FIP for her health and that of the outdoor wild cats I try very very hard to make sure she never escapes...its pretty scarey when she does, freaks me out that she will get sick again

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
I'm A Blonde At Heart

Well she got out again today twice... This time lady my dog was chasing her my mom came out she got out we caught her right away secend time my dad let her out and we were watching her for about half an hour this time she wouldnt go into the basement she seemed to understand that was a trap i dont have a stupid kitty. So she was runnign around a lot more then she normally does and the heat from the sun (shes black) made her pant. Well we eventally did catch her. Now we just put her in my bedroom when the doors open and close. Should i let her explore witha leash?

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 09:54 PM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Sounds like Gerona.

In Louisiana I had a MAJOR problem with Gerona "door darting," as I called it. Usually I could entice her to run back inside when I got her attention by shaking her favourite jingle balls and then throwing it inside. Occassionally, though, I had to go on wild kitty chases to get her back!

Here, door darting isn't as big of a problem since we have a mudroom that acts as a sort of buffer zone.

Taking her out on a leash could be very enjoyable for her. I know Gerona LOVES to go outside and roll in the grass and take a few nibbles from it. Though, if you do decide to take her out on a leash, make 100% sure that her collar and/or harness are SNUGLY FIT! It is truly amazing how quickly a cat that wants to escape can slip out of a collar or harness. I know this one from experience--Gerona has done this to me TWICE.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
I'm A Blonde At Heart

I will do this thanks Rowan. We'll go one walks, well kinda i will fallow her on a leash lol.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 10:02 PM

I would have a heart attack. Eve has ran out twice on me but that was about 2 years ago. Magilla my feral cat looks outside and says "How stupid do you think I am and rolls around on my oriental rug. He was definitely royalty in a past life. And Varuca well she's my baby and has a heart attack if I'm not in the same room with her and the door is closed - I can't even imagine what would happen to her if she got outside. I trust they don't ever want to see the outdoors again, my cats don't even sit in the windows Well they do if they see me outside. You think they are a little too attached?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
I'm A Blonde At Heart

Trintiy does the same ting if im in the house and door is closed she freaks out but, freedome sort of is over me i guess lol. I wont mind if she wanted to go outside when i was done with college lived at a place where there was not a road other then the one my husband and i drove on and she could only be out there supervised she obvisly loved the out doors but i cant risk it now i dont have the money for huge vet bills. And shes my capanion. When you live on your own it gets super lonely and we talk to eachother maybe im too attached to my cat.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 10:53 PM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

It's just the inner Wild Cat within.

Also, I find using a rectratable leash for small dogs works a lot better for me and Gerona rather than the traditional leash. It lets her have more freedom without me having to be RIGHT behind her at all times, but I can still control the distance that she goes out.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 05:12 PM
Adolescent Pup

Wow Im glad Im not the only one with a bratty escape artist! I have a mini heart attack everytime someone opens the front door. If shes out of my room, you'll always hear me from acrossed the house "Close the door!!!" She hasnt made it out yet, thank the lord... and Im fearing the day someone lets her slip by. But when it does happen I hope its after shes fixed because the last thing I need is several more Brats running around the house.

To you, it's a pet.
To me, it's an adopted child,
who is short, hairy,
walks on all fours and has a speech impediment.

Pomeranian (Sadie)
Papillion/Pomeranian (Pepper)
Collie/Wolf (Lobo)

Bangal/Tabby(Cricket)
Corn Snake (Ruby)
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 12:27 AM

Oh, please don't use a collar and leash! That's very dangerous, you could choke her or break her neck! Use a "t" harness, like the kind they have for ferrets if she's small or for small dogs, as they dont' usually make them for cats. Practice, practice, practice, because even with the harness they can slip out. and the cat is pretty defenseless in a harness so you! must be the person that watches for other cats (we were attacked by a cat one!) and for loose dogs.

You also might want to get them microchipped if you are in an area where the SPCA/animal control uses a "reader". That way you can get them back if they end up at the pound, or even at a vets after someone tries to give them a home.

Never use a tight collar, always an escape collar, the kind that snap apart, and always put your name and phone #...don't worry about the cat name! they need your name on the tag.

And I used to keep a broom by the door. The best thing to keep cats from escaping is to have a screen door, the two give you manuevering room. Put nails or screws around the screens. A cat can get out in 3" of room,..I saw my cat get into the house with only that much opening...if she can get in, they can get out.
And the broom trick is, keep it on the side of the door where you are...so when you are coming in, push the broom in ahead of you, and vice versa...the broom keeps them occupied instead of looking for the space between your legs!

Tags
animal control, indoor cat, wet food