Grrr..... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-20-2005, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

Angry Grrr.....

well, i thought charlie was done spraying, but i guess not.

background: i took charlie into my house in late dec of 04. he never ever sprayed and always used the litter box. then about a month ago he started scooting and sprayed 3 times in the house in different places. i had just started letting him out and about in the house (used to just be in my bedroom). i figured it was 1 or more of 3 things: 1. marking cause of dogs/new environment, 2. UTI, 3. anal glands needed to be expressed.
well, it turned out he had a slight UTI, so i got him meds and he stopped spraying, but he still scoots. well, today he sprayed in the bathroom (one of the places he had before). GRR!!!!!

i'm still concerned about his scooting and i'm a little concerned about his scratches. so i'll try and take him in to the vet soon (was going to for the scratches, but they are getting better).

do you guys think this has to do with the fact that he accidentely escaped outside friday? he snuck out the doggy door and was out all day (came back that evening). i know he likes to go out (but i'm too scared to let him).

thanks for listening!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-20-2005, 11:50 PM
Adolescent Pup

Is he desexed? I could anwser many questions if he is not.

He may have UTI, take him to the vet.

This could be a behavioral issue.

He could be stressed by his own scent, toilet training would help this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 02:02 AM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

kittygirl109-

he is neutered.
i just treated him for a UTI, but maybe he still has it after the pills. ???
it is probably behavioral.
he is toilet trained. like i said, he never used to do this.

btw - i didn't have him neutered until about late january, early febuary and he never even did this when he wasn't neutered.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

edited: i KNOW how to spell febRuary!!!

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 01:00 PM
Miss New Booty

Hmm Jane, ya I wonder why he is scooting like that? I would definately talk to the vet about that. As for the spraying.. I guessanything's possible and he could still have a UTI??... My Snuggles has a behavioral issue with peeing on the carpet, as you know, lol, but he never sprays, he would urinate in a puddle on certain places on my carpet. That's interesting it's in the same place, maybe Charlie still smells where he did it before?
Hmm... Did you use Simple Soultion or Nature's Miracle on the spots? Even if it's on the wall, you can still spray it down with that and wipe it away (Snugs had it on the floorboard part and I sprayed it there) or maybe a vinegar/water solution? He could be upset about the dogs. Nothing else different, litter change, etc? I wouldn't think it would be because he got out, but I guess anything is possible?
Ohh I forgot to mention.. if you do find out it's indeed behavioral, there is something you could try called Feliway. It's a spray or a plug in, you can even get it at PetSmart. It helps with behavior issues and urinating, spraying, etc. Dena first mentioned it to me and my vet even highly recomended it to us.
http://www.catfaeries.com/feliway.html
Aww I hope you figure out what's up! Keep us posted!

~* Jackie *~

Last edited by kittygurl823; 03-21-2005 at 01:30 PM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 02:59 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Jane,
Jackie gave alot of really good advice, but I would use a 50/50 white vinegar/water solution to clean the area(s) where he has been spraying. Only from my experience with many foster male cats, have I noticed that the vinegar/water is the only thing that truly takes the smell and scent out.
It sounds like he could still be suffering from the UTI, or is having behavioral issues, because he got out, and now he figures if he acts up (just like children do), he will get his way and get to go back outside.
Take him to the vet though as it definitely couldn't hurt, to ensure their isn't anything serious going on.
Keep us updated, and hang in there

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

thanks, guys!

the area where he hit the first time (in the bathroom) wasn't pourous. he hit the tub on the INSIDE. this time he did it on the outside and hit the tub, the bathmat and the outside curtain. the mat and curtain are waiting to be washed and i wiped the entire area (tub and linoleum floor) down with tub/counter cleaner stuff.

i have nature's miracle here. should i rub some of that on it or do i need to go buy some vinegar?

thanks again!!

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 03:35 PM
Miss New Booty

Hmm Jane, so he was actually "in" the tub? Hrrmmm...I heard somewhere that it's common with cats that have UTI's for some reason to pee in the tub.. I don't want to freak you out though! My Snuggles did that once when he was upset, so it might not be that. But since Charlie had a UTI recently, that makes me wonder if maybe it could've come back? I would just maybe talk to the vet about it to be safe. Yeah, you might just want to wipe a little Nature's Miracle on the spot, or if you have white vinegar, try that with the water, like Kim said. But if you don't have any on hand, Nature's Miracle should be ok! (Kim, is it white vinegar that you use?)
I'm sure everything is ok!

~* Jackie *~

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygurl823
Hmm Jane, so he was actually "in" the tub? Hrrmmm...I heard somewhere that it's common with cats that have UTI's for some reason to pee in the tub..
i've never heard of that! weird!! yah...i'll definetely make him an appt. w/dr. mac.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 03:58 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Jackie yup it's white distilled vinegar
And I too have heard and well witnessed cats peeing in the tub from UTI's and well just from being in a mood frankly
Some cats will pee in the tub, or on a tile like floor (or even rugs) rather than their litter box when they have a UTI, because they associate the pain of urinating with the litter box, make sense?

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 04:16 PM
Miss New Booty

Yes Kim! That's the way I was thinking to describe what I heard why they go on the tub, tiles, etc. And I'm wondering more about the scooting, I wonder if something burns him a little bit, like from a UTI, too?
Ok enough of freaking Jane out today, let us know what the vet says, girl! Hang in there and hope all is ok! We know how bad that smell is, too!

~* Jackie *~

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyWife97
because they associate the pain of urinating with the litter box, make sense?
that's a point i hadn't thought of. i was thinking more that he was trying to get my attention cause he is in pain. i will totally take him in!

and you guys aren't freaking me out! trust me...i'd freak myself out more than you guys ever could!! i'm the one that takes the dogs to the ER for a mosquito bite, remember?

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 04:29 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula86
and you guys aren't freaking me out! trust me...i'd freak myself out more than you guys ever could!! i'm the one that takes the dogs to the ER for a mosquito bite, remember?
umm yeah kinda forgot about that one....

He could be scooting his bum across the floor because he is inflammed from the UTI, glad to hear your taking him Jane hang in there girl, and let us know how it goes.

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

Tags
litter box, male cat