Habbits turning bad - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Unhappy Habbits turning bad

I'm at a lost here. I have one cat who can have weird habbits but she is starting one that might make us find her a new home.

She won't go in the litter pans where they are. We have moved the litter pans couple times already for her. Its like she gets tired of where they are, goes and pees where she wants to use the restroom. But we are running out of places. Right now she is doing this right beside our front door and I don't want a litter pan sitting where its the first thing people see.

I have no clue how to make her stop this habbit she is forming.

Any help?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
An it harms none, do what thou will
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 08:28 PM
Adolescent Pup

My sister had a kitty who wouldn't use the litter box, so I got a tape from an animal behaviorist on this. There are a number of reasons they might stop. (They might not like the brand of litter you're using, it might not be clean enough for them, the box itself might have picked up an odor, etc.) You might try using a different kind of litter and/or getting a littermaid (one of the self cleaning litter boxes.) It also might be a sign of a physical problem, so you should probably have the cat checked by a vet.

Once you've ruled out anything simple, you should re-housebreak the cat. Do this by confining him/her in a small room with just the box and his food. Cats don't like to soil near their food, so they'll go in the box so they can burry it. Once he's been trained to that room, move everything to another room and do it again until he's been retrained to the entire house.

I got the tape from the local humane society, but if they don't have it, you can get it from http://www.drdog.com/.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 09:23 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

You might also want to make sure she doesn't have a UTI. My friend's cat used to do that and she discovered the cat had a UTI.

Also, does the cat share a litterbox with another cat? Some cats can be picky like that and you may need to get multiple litterboxes. If she doesn't share with another cat, you may want to try using a second litterbox just to see if it's a matter of convienence for her.

Kfielder also had good advice about retraining her.

Rhonda

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 06:36 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Here's a little more info on her.

We do have other cats. Including her we have 5, 3 girls and 2 boys. There is also 4 little pans through out the house. We have always used the same type of cat litter since we had her from day one. This problem has only started up again in the last month. She did this to us before and we moved one of the cat pans and she was happy. This is why I'm not thinking its anything medical, just her being Abby.

I rescued Abby when I use to clean houses. Her other owners was going to toss her outside cause they had a new baby coming and they believed that BS of a cat taking a baby's breath. She is fixed, declawed and I'm guessing older then the rest of my cats.

Abby can get some really weird habbits. For example, sometimes we call her our nonexistence kitty cause she finds a spot to lay and never moves(only to eat, drink and potty). We can go get her bring her into the room we are, love on her and when we're done she's off to her spot again. She will stay in this spot from 1 to 2 months then she switchs to a new one. Her spot now is on my pillow.

She is and always has been cranky with the other cats. Long as their not near her she is fine but if they get close enough she'll throw a fit. This use not to be a problem but now it has become a invite to the other kitties to try to play with her. Their trying to play but she thinks their trying to kill her.

With 5 cats I see the pack order and Abby is the low one on the pole. I don't think she would be if she existed more. Even tho she is declawed she can give these other cats a run for their money if she wanted to.

post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 08:06 AM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Are the litter boxes the covered kind. I knew of a cat that kept going outside of the box and it was b/c he couldn't fit inside of the covered litter box!
Also you mentioned that she was low man on the pole. We had a cat once that had that position in the house. I found that another female was beating up on her so badly she was actually afraid to move. We had to put her food and water next to her and often we found that she would potty right there as well. We eventually found her a loving home with no other cats. I had never expected to be able to keep her though. She was a stray we found. I missed her but in the end she was happy!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 11:12 AM
Adolescent Pup

You mentioned that the other cats beating her up didn't used to be a problem. Did that start around the same time as going outside the litter box?
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Well, to them it isn't beating her up. They try to play with her and she doesn't like it.

They have always "tried" to play with her but her hissing would stop them. They have gotten to the point now that they ignore her hissing and continue to attemp to play with her (the kind of play thats attacking each other and chasing each other).

Yes, there has been times when one cat has gotten something stuck up their butt and think they can pick on the other cats but me and hubby don't put up with it. We let them know its not allowed. If its bad enough (few have been) we step in and spank the cat doing the attacking on the butt.

2 cat pans are just pans and 2 are covered pans.

She's not the only low man on the pole. We have another cat that is equal to her. Then we have the 2 in the middle and then we have the Queen (Quizy).

We have moved a little pan to where is was peeing and she is using it now. I just wonder how I stop this habbit of deciding she needs to use the bathroom somewhere else. Its just like with her spot. After she tired of her spot she moves. I can't be doing this with the litter pan. I don't care to move it if its a area I can put one its just her going off and peeing some where else.

Sigh

post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 07:49 AM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Be sure to clean the area throughly that she peed on. I have always like Natures Miracle. We had a problem once where a foster cat was chasing my Tyler into corners and literally scaring the pee out of him. It was terrible! Once Tyler went in the corner the others thought is was a good place to go as well. It was a carpeted area and I bought Natures Miracle and poured it straight on the spot. It is important to get the smell completely out so that they don't think it's a litter box.
You may want to try separating her from the other cats. I hadn't realized how terrified poor Cali was for the longest time. Macy was good about hiding her mean streak. The oddest thing was that Macy was only nasty with other females. She loved all the males in the house and she was wonderful with people.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 12:08 PM
Adolescent Pup

^I agree on separating her from the other cats. Give her own space and see if that fixes the bathroom problem. I think that she feels a little uncomfortable and maybe stressed out and that is why she is having this problem. Maybe she is just a kitty that doesn't get along well w/others.

post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 03:21 PM
SwC
Part of the Pack

You may want to try Feliway also as it helped with my kitties in the past when they didnt want to go where they were supposed to. It at least helped calm them when they were stressed.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 11:21 PM
Miss New Booty

Everyone gave some great tips. I have this problem from time to time with one of my kitties, Snuggles. It started when we got a really expensive self cleaning hooded litter box, and he let us know he didn't like it, lol! My vet said it is a behavioral issue. There is a medication route you can go if it is behavioral and all else fails, your vet would discuss that with you and see if your kitty might need something. Feliway is a great idea, I was going to suggest that, too, especially with having 5 cats. It helps with behavioral issues, any fighting, stress, anxiety, etc. Here is a link to it if you want to check it out..
http://www.catfaeries.com/feliway.html
It's kind of pricy, but vet recommended and you can get it right at PetSmart, too.
It sounds like a behavioral/dominance thing. And you are cleaning it with all the right stuff, we use Simple Solution. I know that smell too well, yucko! I hope everything gets worked out with her! Keep us posted!

~* Jackie *~

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 01:00 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

We had this problem a few times with Leo and it turned out to be something different each time it happened.

First time was the type of litter. He always used the same kind but then one day he started peeing on the floor and wouldn't use the litter box. We were at our wits end with what to do and someone suggested to change the type of litter we had.. we thought they were nuts but tried it anyway and it worked, LOL. He started using the litterbox again without any issues.

In the past 3-4 months Leo started peeing on the floor again.. usually nowhere near his litterbox and usually a few times in the same place. It was really on and off.. sometimes he would use his litterbox then for awhile he would start peeing elsewhere. We took him into the vet and it turns out he does have kidney failure which is causing this behavior.. now it's just a matter of time before we lose him

I highly recommend a vet check (if you haven't already) for kidney failure or UTI to make sure everything is in working order first and formost.. then onto other suggestions if the tests come back clear.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I talked to my vet and he doesn't think she has a problem but she is still going in for a check.

He knows how weird Abby can get with her habbits and just thinks a habbit she is adopting.

Abby isn't like a normal cat where they sleep anywhere. She has her spots but when she tires of the spot she'll find a new one. Her spot can run from a couple weeks to 6 months being the longest so far. We are afraid she is picking this habbit up with the litter pan. She just gets tired of where it is and I don't wanna play this game.

I'm lost on how potty training her again will help. She'll go in the pan if we move it to where she wants it. Knowing abby I could lock her up in a room to do that but she'll be back to her habbit when she gets out.

I'll try that Feliway. We look at some stuff at our local pet store for spraying on areas you don't want your pet.

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-27-2006, 08:00 AM
SwC
Part of the Pack

The feliway works more like a very mild tranquilizer for mine as it also helps with the "kitty fights" in the middle of the night in my bedroom lol. I use the plug in.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-28-2006, 07:14 AM
Salamander Burgermuffin

i used to have a cat that would potty in the bathtub. we took her to the vet and everything checked out fine, we tried the retraining her thing, we put her in a room with just her food and the box, and she used the box instead of the tub, but as soon as she was let out she would go back to using the tub. so we kept a real close eye on her for a few days, and it turned out she would use the litter pan right after we cleaned it, but as soon as another cat steped foot in it she went right back to the bathtub. we had to seperate her from the rest of the cats, keeping her upstars and the rest of the cats downstairs. we still let her go downstairs for visits, but her problem was fixed by making sure no other cats used her box.

Tags
covered litter box, fur babies, humane society, litter box, litter boxes, litter pan, local humane society, local pet store, pet store, potty train, potty training