Hairballs? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Hairballs?

My Ragdoll, Cody, has a beautiful long coat. The problem is he's always trying to hack stuff up and he never gets anything out. I'm getting concerend because I read that if he gets a hairball and can't get it out then it could lead to serious problems even death!

I can't let that happen so I've tried everything, hairball medicine, hairball remedy treats, food for cats prone to hairballs, and brushing him everyday. He still has the same problems. I don't know what to do with him.

I've thought about shaving him, but I'm not sure that is a great idea. I would hate for his coat to not come back the same. Has anyone tried shaving their long haired cat before? Is it something that can be done? Is there any thing else I can try for hairballs?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 02:57 PM
Aspires to Change Oil

I'm sure it can be done. However, I would recommend talking to you vet first. Maybe there is something that they could suggest that would save you the trouble (and that wonderful long coat I'm sure is nice to pet. I got a long hair kitty too!)

Maybe he doesn't have hairballs at all, it might be something else so its best to check with a vet, I think.

, [username] .
are you new member? have questions?

Feel free to PM or IM me.
Contacts are my profile.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

You're right, he is due for some shots soon anyway. I better check with him first. I would hate for his coloring to change or for it to grow back funny!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 04:04 PM
New Title? MEMBER.

At the shelter, we often shaved our long haired cats when they came in (usually they were matted and infested). Their coat grew back just fine.

I would like to suggest a good hairball remedy before you try shaving him. There are at least two different kinds.

The first kind allows the hairball to pass through the digestive tract more easily. Like this one. Please make sure that if you use this kind of remedy to buy a product without petroleum.

The second kind of remedy breaks down the hairball. They usually contain papain (from papaya) and/or bromelain (from pineapple). This remedy has a sort of dual purpose to break down and allow anything remaining to pass.

Candice

A friendly forum for pets and their owners!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 10:59 PM
Adolescent Pup

i agree with keritsubo, make sure it really is a hairball!
i had two vets tell me my kitten was just having hairball problems before i took her to a third who treated her for a lingering chest cold and she hasn't had any problems since.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

I'm sure its not a cold. He's had this problem forever. It happens more often when my puppy is playing with him. It seems when he gets all worked up or tossed about a little he hunches over hacking. Poor kitty. I think I might try the one with the papain. I've tried some sort of gel and Cody doesnt' like it, so Ill try this one.

Thanks for all your help everyone! I appreciate it.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 01:20 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I agree that you should definitely mention it to the vet ... even for a long haired breed that isn't normal. If it is hairballs then definitely up how much you brush him. Get a very good brush if you don't have one already ... you really can't skimp for a long haired cat.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 01:42 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I'd also ask the vet and be sure to mention that it's worse during play. Make sure they listen well to his heart and lungs.

Stephanie

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 01:45 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Ditto to the vet trip. If it's been persistant for a while, you certainly don't want to put it off any longer.

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 04:46 PM
Miss New Booty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade
I'd also ask the vet and be sure to mention that it's worse during play. Make sure they listen well to his heart and lungs.
Ditto to that, too. Snuggles had a wheezing thing going on, when I first described it to my vet, she said hairballs. I thought it could be hairballs, it sounded so weird, and then he would cough. It got worse the next few weeks and I had to rush him to the vet. My regular vet wasn't there, but the other vet we see, immediately did an X-ray on him. He had asthma, he needed a cortizone shot that day. He sometimes wheezes now and then at different times of the year, the vet said times of the year, pollen, etc can make it flare up.
Hope all is ok! Keep us posted!

~* Jackie *~

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 05:11 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Could the pollen be why Emil is snuffling?

My handsome Prince

Swirly, Squashy, Squishy, Spot, Star, Slash and Rocky

Indy and Myfanwy

Tilly, Emil, Sonny and Smudge

Tags
poor kitty, regular vet