Halt a cats obsession with outside? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-30-2004, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Halt a cats obsession with outside?

My one cat Jack is obsessed with going outside. But we really do not want him to become an outdoor cat. We just do not feel its safe in our area. But how do we get him over the obsession? He meows/cries by the doors, and runs out whenever we open the doors.

We recently bought a cat leash to let him out once in a while but this just seemed to make it worse. (duh)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-30-2004, 11:20 PM

I really don't have any advice other than to ignore him ... he will use the litterbox if outdoors is not a choice. He will just be annoying for awhile. But, I really feel you with the safety issue: My hubby had a cat before we moved in together that was the most precious thing and acted JUST like you described ... but she got run over because she always had to be outdoors ... I don't want that happening to your cat, too ... so do your best! The worst can happen ...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-30-2004, 11:48 PM

Ignore it... That's my suggestion too... My cat is an indoor/outdoor cat & if I put something in front of the cat door during the day (we keep her in at night) she'll go crazy & constantly meow so loud!!! It gets really annoying, thank god it's 'safe' for her to be outside, I don't know how long I'd be able to deal with that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2004, 12:01 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

I recently transitioned my 10 year old Tabby from an outside to inside cat. Ever since I rescued her when she was a kitten she loved to go in and out. I never wanted her to go outside, she was a real pain in the neck when she couldn't get outside too! She spent most of her life being a lawn tiger, prowling the yard and sunning herself on the deck.

She was injured somehow. It's a mystery- but a huge vet bill and lots of TLC later we don't allow her outside anymore. She's a crafty one - tries to sneak out all the time - but we watch the door and she's gotten the message that she can't go outside anymore.

I'd ignore the crying and the antics too... he'll get the message, and he'll be safe inside the house

[center]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2004, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips. Looks like what we have been doing is what we should keep doing. lol Lately we have had a vacation from his attempts to outside because of the new dog. The cat is too busy worrying about him to worry about going outside. lol
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 03:58 PM
Salamander Buffalokisser

when we first got Kramer he was always trying to get out, he would meow and meow and lay right next to the door to try to excape and he did a few times but we alway caught him. he would get so annoying with his meowing that I would just ignore him and if he got really bad I would just leave the room. He has stopped his wanting to get out for the most part. Every once in a while he gets a burr up his butt and tries to excape and if I don't watch him he will but he never gets off the porch.

Stephanie
Be who you are and say what you feel
Because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind

check out my blog:

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 06:49 PM

i know what your going through. my kitty always wants to go outside. the strange thing is, he's afraid of anything other than the back yard. he's never run away (whenever one of my idiot family members left the door open), but he has pulled a stunt here and there. my father lets him outside constantly, always watching what he does, and it bothers me alot. whenever i try to tell him about how much it bothers me, he just yells at me. anyways, the best advice is to ignore him, and whenever you have to open the door, pick him up or block his way so that he can't get out.

Tags
outdoor cat