Has anyone tried "Soft Paws" before? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 04:37 AM Thread Starter
Aspires to Stupidity

Has anyone tried "Soft Paws" before?

I've been considering getting "soft paws" for my cats. They don't scratch stuff too much, but there are a few things they have wrecked and I just don't want to loose anymore furniture. Declawing is definitly not an option! I MIGHT have considered it if they were still very young, but at 4 years old I think it would be way too traumatic for them.

My husband thinks it's kinda stupid to get these "soft paws" 'cuz he says we should just train them to not scratch. I really don't know how we can, we've tried everything already. They have lots of scratching posts, we've tried spraying with a water bottle, bitter scent sprays, double sided tape, nothing works.

China does it to our leather couch, but he doesn't make holes in it, he just does a light scuff and he only does it when we see him. He gives a really stupid glare look and then starts scratching until we go up to him. SO ANNOYING! Hyrum loves to scratch the corner of the matress....it was new, but now it looks like we picked it up at a thrift store or something, lol.

Anyway, enough babbling already, lol. Any opinions?

And if I do get them, what color do you think I should get? They're both males, so not pink, lol. I'm only going to buy one package for both cats, just to test them out first. I don't want to waste money on these things if they don't work or they just bite them off.

Here's the colors they offer:
http://www.softpaws.com/colors.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 08:47 AM
Adolescent Pup

Soft Paws are great!!!!! Any color BUT clear! Clear is horrible to work with! You have to check often for fallen-off ones, as these do not stop them from trying to scratch. Try them! Our cats never even paid any attention to them. I thought they would chew them off, but none did. Good luck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2 human sons, Michael and Daniel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1 dog, Julie

, :3 kitties Mickey, Dicky & Gunther

A lot of inside and pond fish.

I love all my kids!

R.I.P. Diablo
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 09:17 AM
Jird Jostler

i like the blue ones

I'm Georgia,
I drive like a rally driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 10:32 AM
Adolescent Pup

oh, our gray kitty looks Gorgeous in the blue ones!

2 human sons, Michael and Daniel

1 dog, Julie

, :3 kitties Mickey, Dicky & Gunther

A lot of inside and pond fish.

I love all my kids!

R.I.P. Diablo
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 10:34 AM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

soft paws? i have never heard of them lol

*Carla*
I
my animals!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Aspires to Stupidity

Thanx for the replies! Anyone else ever used them or/and have any opinions on these?

Cazsamps: Maybe they don't have them in the UK??
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 03:26 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

Ive never used them before but Ive heard of them. sounds like a cool idea. I would get the blue ones for your boys, or something else thats gonna be easy to see, at least for the first time. just to make checking on them and stuff alittle easier.

My Furry Family
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
Aspires to Stupidity

Okay, so I can't make up my mind on what color. I have six that I like, so I'm gonna make a poll and let everyone else choose for me, lol.

The poll is here:http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f10/w...get-48150.html
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 01:37 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Do they work well? (not really directed towards you Nikko but anyone else...I know you probably didn't order them yet)

Our cat likes to scratch up everything like the couch and mattresses and the rugs....My brother said he's going to get him declawed but I think for a cat that likes to sneak out the door that isn't an option. I'm glad I came across this thread!

Don't male cats do that to mark territory?

*Missy*
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 02:25 AM Thread Starter
Aspires to Stupidity

Soft Paws aren't reccomended for cats that go outside since their nails won't be sharp enough to defend themselves if needed.

I don't think males scratch to mark territory, I'm pretty surre it's just natural instincts for all cats to sharpen their claws on things. They don't know that you don't want your furniture like that, maybe they think they're making it more comfy, lol.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 05:59 PM
Adolescent Pup

I am really anxious to see if this works for you cus I know it would help me a LOT with my little girl. She is also about 4 and she loves to paw-paw people painfully >.< and out of no where. lol We will occasionally wrap her in a towel and clip her front claws but it is just so traumatic for everyone involved we don't do it til she starts to stick to the carpet like velcro.

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 03:18 AM Thread Starter
Aspires to Stupidity

I'll let you know how they work out as soon as I get them. They should be here on Friday or maybe next Monday. I'm getting impatient and I think my boys will hate me, lol.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 03:34 AM
Jird Jostler

Aww, from what i've heard, i don't think they'll mind them at all. Keep us updated =]

I'm Georgia,
I drive like a rally driver.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 05:01 PM
Playful Pup

Soft paws work really well. I have a friend that uses them. They are safe for the kitty and they do their job.

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 03:00 AM Thread Starter
Aspires to Stupidity

They're here!!

I put them on about 20 minutes ago. Hyrum could care less, lol. He licked them for about 2 minutes and figured, "Well this is a waste of time, I'll never get these things off" Hahaha! China....HATES them. He won't stop trying to get them off.

Question for anyone that has used these before: How long did it take your cat to get used to them? I know every cat is different, but I'm just curious.

I'll take some pics of their pretty new feet real soon.

Tags
male cat