He is doing it again!!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

He is doing it again!!!

Milko is peeing where he shouldn't again. It started off in the animal room, which I half suspected cause we moved the room around and I figured he'd find some more old smell. I caught him peeing behind the food under Shadow's cage one morning ( I did the vinegar thing and put him in the litter tray). Even though I cleaned there I'm still smelling a stale pee smell after the house has been locked up but can't pinpoint it in that room.

Yesterday I came home from along day at work, I opened the front door and smelt pee instantly. I couldn't pinpoint it anywhere so got the vinegar and water, made Alex hold Milko and cleaned every place possible. He was not allowed down in the loungeroom at all yesterday. Today I could still smell a very faint pee smell and there was one spot I didn't do so I did it today too.
I went to take him out of the laundry when I get home but changed my mind. I'm keeping him locked in there for the day,and going out and playing with him out there. I haven't seen pee in his litter for a few days but figured he was covering it, now I suspect he isn't going in there at all.
Do you think he is just confused again cause we moved the animal room or at 13 weeks could he now be marking? Talk about a never ending battle with this little guy!! I'm sick of walking in my house smelling everything to see if I can smell pee!!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 10:53 PM

I am sure that moving the room around had something to do with it. It's a little coincidental that it started happening again right after. Anything is possible though and he could be marking but that wouldn't be so much on the floor as it would be on more verticle places and it would smell so much worse. He would still probably be peeing in the litterbox if he was marking. Where's Jackie, she has lots more experience with stubborn kitties peeing where they shouldn't.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

I just re-read my post and realised I was a little unclear...I half expected him to pee in the animal room again...I moved it, my fault right? But he is also peeing in the loungeroom (the rooms are at opposite ends of the house). I don't get why he just started there...but he did poo behind the christmas tree back in december and I cleaned it as best I could (I'm skinny but I'm not quite invisible) so maybe he found that smell again? He definently isn't peeing up walls!! So I'll put it down to confusion again. Argh! I really wish my p's would replace htis carpet...it has been here for like 20 years....it's gross and probably has a trillion smells in it for him!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 11:16 PM

20 years No wonder why he is so confused! I would think a carpet that old has a lot to do with it.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

yes 20 years...it is soooo gross!!! I hate carpet anyway...but I don't even like sitting on this stuff! My p's are refusing to pay for new carpet too! They told me twice they were but changed their minds again....my dad is talking about keeping it as a rental again, instead of selling it so if they decide to do that I'm going to try my hardest to talk them into replacing it.
alex asked me last night if Milko would continue to do this when we move to the apartment (end of the year/early next year) I said no cause he won't be battling with old smells...considering the place is brand new. I just don't want to get him into the habit of it! Maybe I could find a machine that could allow me to vinegar solution the whole house...without doing it all on my hands and knees!

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 12:44 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

oh no. bad little milko!!

about cleaning it- you could have a company come in and shampoo all the carpets. when they do, ask if they can use some foaming solution from the pet store that eliminates smells. they will have their own solution, but maybe they can use what you provide.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

well the carpets were shampooed just before we moved here...or at least they were supposed to be so I doubt that will work I have nearly got the whole loungeroom done with the vinegar solution so I might just have to do it room by room!

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 12:57 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

there are places where you can rent a carpet cleaner machine for the day. maybe you could do that and use it with the vinegar solution.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

yeah I'll have to look into it...I have my mum's steam cleaner here....I might ask her if I'd hurt it by putting vinegar in it! I'd really just prefer new carpet!! or for them to polish the boards underneath but no luck so far

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 02:49 AM
Miss New Booty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dena
Where's Jackie, she has lots more experience with stubborn kitties peeing where they shouldn't.
Dena!!! LOL!
OH MAN Carm, he did it again! I know that cat urine smell and it's sooo gross! Like you said, you walk in the house and it over powers you! (No one else seemed to smell it as much as me though lol)
Hmm could be b/c you moved the room, but I really think your right with the old smells in the carpet! WOW 20 years! We bought a steam cleaner, it works pretty good but man.. we cleaned the litter box room in our last house for days! It was spotless when we moved out, but still...Cat urine is so very strong and stubborn to come out! My Snuggles wanted nothing to do with that covered litter robot! Brad's sister put Tilex on the carpet to get it out LOL! (Not recomended ofcourse lol, it can bleach the carpet but it was light so it really didn't) I use Simple Solution and have gone over the carpet here so many times. I put the Simple Solution in my carpet cleaner..I wonder about the vinegar in the cleaner? I wouldn't see why not! It's worth a try if you are borrowing your mom's right now?
I sure hope he stops doing this!!!!

~* Jackie *~

post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 01:17 PM
Tongue Tied..Literally!

Carmen, the first thing I thought of was the carpeting. I didn't know the carpeting was 20 years old! Dena is right, he is smelling so many different scents it has him confused. I definitely recommend using your mum's carpet cleaner and filling it with a vinegar solution. I don't think you can continue like this until the end of the year/beginning of next year.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

thanks guys! I'm going to talk to my mum today about using her steam cleaner with vinegar. It's actually not a specific carpet one...it has a ton of gadgets so you can clean the whole house with it. We borrowed it when the painter painted the whole house, not just the walls, and she doesn't want it back yet so I've just kept it! It cost her a fortune so I want to check that the vinegar won't ruin it....if she says no I'll be on to them about polishing the boards. We just got the boards re-polished in the house we are renovating and it was so cheap and he did a great job so if I can convince them to sell I might convince them to do the boards! Keep your fingers crossed!

post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 03:42 PM
Formerly known as Lvnmycritters

If you can get a hold of a black light you can find any markings on your carpet if you hold it along your carpet in the dark. Any animal markings glow. The great news is that they make products specifically designed to neutralize pet oders. It breaks down the enzymes and may be crucial to stopping his marking. It is supposed to work beter than vinegar because it doesn't just mask it.

I found a site of a company who supposedly makes a good product to neutralize these things

http://www.aromask.com/

We have one where I work called Eco-Z that works great but they are apparently a local company and they don't have a web site.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

where can you get blacklights from? Can you just get them from pet supply stores? I wouldn't mind doing that!

post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 04:04 PM
Formerly known as Lvnmycritters

I just looked it up online and this looks like a good deal!

http://www.ambericawest.com/blacklight.html

Tags
animal shelter, food bowl, kitty litter, litter box, litter boxes, litter tray, pet store, pet supply store