Is he overweight? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Question Is he overweight?

I have a male tabby cat who is 17lbs. He's 3 years old. He's active (runs after toys and chases us) and eats alot. A whole bowl of cat food a day and wants more (but he only gets one bowl per day). He's also very buff .. large paws, neck, etc..

My vet said he is considered overweight and should be on a lite diet. I bought some lite kitty food, and haven't had it long enough to see changes ..

But I wanted to ask if you guys think the weight is too high? He's always been rather heavy. He was over 15 lbs by the time he was a year..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NaTaLiE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Setsuki (std) Coolio (bv) Butters (pw) & Diamond (sap) the chinchillas
Mortimer the cat

Last edited by kittylilac; 06-19-2006 at 06:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 07:09 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

My kitty Leo was 20 pounds most of his life! Now HE was a chubby kitty! We tried to get his weight down but it never worked. We took him to the vet regularly and he was always a healthy big boy. In his older years his weight has now decreased dramatically.

I think it all depends on the build of the kitty himself, any pics?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 09:42 PM
I Have Foot-In-Mouth Syndrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissy
I think it all depends on the build of the kitty
I agree with this. I have a cat who has always been very large and weighs 18 pounds. We've asked our vet if he thinks he's overweight and he said he's just a large cat and that his weight is fine. So it depends on your cat.

I got a valentine!

3 cats, Yazi, Bit, and Thunder
8 rats, Bob, Cocoa, Zara, Kennit, Aviendha, Skewer, Bean, and Raleigh
3 mice, Briella, Sophie, and Jackson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 10:12 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

my cat is 18 pds, shes chubby, but shes as healthy as she can be

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 10:35 PM
Miss New Booty

Quote:
I think it all depends on the build of the kitty himself
IMO I agree with that, too. Ginger and Snuggles are lean, and Smokie is really hefty. He is big. At his last vet visit was around 12, but I know he's got to be at atleast 14 or so now. My vet says he gets concerned at 13+ and might start to think about lite food. I do feel he has a bulky build and was debating about lite food myself for him, but the problem I have is, how not to get my other 2 to eat his food, vice versa! I do know he's constantly running around getting exercise as he's the little hoodlum kitty here!

The way they say you can tell if your cat is overweight is 1) you can't feel their ribs through their skin/fur and 2) you look down at your kitty from above, if they have bulging area that comes out around their waist. I was trying to look for a site Steph (Jade) showed me once with pictures of cats that were overweight but I can't find it! I found a few sites, this first one says exactly what I was trying to say but without a picture.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2447_determi...verweight.html

http://messybeast.com/overweight.htm

kittylilac, do you have any pictures of him? I'm not really sure how long it would take to see results with lite food since I haven't used it for my cats, but my guess would be a month or so?

~* Jackie *~

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 10:53 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

http://www.purina.com/cats/health/BodyCondition.aspx

That's what most vets go by.

Stephanie

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 10:56 PM
Miss New Booty

Thank you Steph, that was driving me crazy!!!! That was the one I was looking for that you showed me!

~* Jackie *~

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 06:18 AM
Crazy Woman Driver

thanks Jade, thats a really useful web page

Caroline
( Just two of my many alter egos )

I
my new job and my girls, Polly puss cat
and Isis puss cat

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 09:03 AM
Aspires to Change Oil

I'd say that's a fat kitty... a lot of cats just get bigger but I'd stick with the diet for at least two months to see results if not more.

Best of luck. We've had chubby kitties touching maybe ten pounds but not much more. My aunt had Mr. Smudge which I think topped 22 at one point. He was so funny he ran kinda like a bunny.

, [username] .
are you new member? have questions?

Feel free to PM or IM me.
Contacts are my profile.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 11:01 AM
Poo dont scare me!!!

Great posts everyone...I agree with what has been said...it depends on the cats build, or if it a larger breed cat, its going to weigh more...but I would think that if your vet has suggested he lose weight, that he must be a little too hefty for his build. Good luck with his weight loss...Im sure he will do well with a lite food over time.

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

He's not really friendly with the vet so its very difficult to get him on the scale. But he does seem to have some extra chub around the waist.

Here's some pictures of him. His name is Mortimer:

NaTaLiE

Mortimer the cat
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 11:45 AM
Adolescent Pup

pretty kitty! he doesnt sound, or look overwieght to me! i had a cat that was 19lbs. and she was always running around and i swear she slept at night and was almost human! she is still alive although she is in a nother home, shes happy and healthy and last month wieghed 20lbs. so,unless you think he looks over wieght or stops running and playing, then i say hes a happy healthy cute kitty cat!

"Heres to the liars and the cheaters and the cold mistreaters, to the mamas boys who cant make a stand, heres to the superficial players the "i love ya" too-soon-sayers, if you hear me girls raise your hand, lets have a toast, heres to findin' a good man!"- Danielle Peck
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 01:08 PM
I Stash Little Debbies

he looks like he's just a big boy - how soon was he neutered? some times when boy cats are neutered after they've reached puberty they still end up being largely built like an unneutered tom cat. it looks like any extra around the middle is probably just fur - he probably slims down when you give him a bath, right?

Okay, so I've got a mischevious husband and a few buns...

Grand Marshall NutterButter of TFAN

Code Name: Snow White

PT's Official Poker
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewels
how soon was he neutered? ... he probably slims down when you give him a bath, right?
He was neutered around a year old.

And he is not real furry. After looking at the purina site, he's probably a 6. Little extra chub on the waist.

Thanks everyone for your inputs !

NaTaLiE

Mortimer the cat
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 11:16 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

what a beautiful kitty! He just looks like a bigger built cat to me

Tags
cat food, cute kitty, vet visit