He Peed WHERE? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-06-2003, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

Post He Peed WHERE?

He Peed WHERE?
Inappropriate Elimination in Cats
That rather high-falutin' term is what we use to politely discuss the problem of cats peeing everywhere but in their litter boxes. It is the largest single cause of consternation among cat aficionados right up there alongside clawing furniture and drapes.
Advertisement

Indeed, shelters cite the largest reason given by people surrendering cats is "He pees all over the house."

Sad.

Sad because there are solutions other than euthanasia, which is another euphemism for "killing." Cats are fastidious creatures, and given a clean litterbox, will gravitate to it like magic. When a cat suddenly scorns the litterbox in favor of the new carpet or Junior's closet floor, it behooves us humans to investigate the cause.

More Than One Cat

¹"If your household includes several cats, you and your veterinarian must first determine which cat is eliminating outside the litter box. In some cases, more than one cat may be eliminating outside the box. Occasionally, a few simple questions and some detective work can find the culprit. If the identity is still uncertain, your veterinarian can give each cat a product that will stain its urine marks with a color that can be detected by an ultraviolet light."

Eliminate Serious Medical Causes First

Although we may view cats as mysterious, infathomable critters, they do nothing without reason. One of the more serious reasons for cats urinating outside the litter box is a urinary tract dysfunction, known as FLUTD (Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease), formerly known as FUS (Feline Urinary Syndrome.) FLUTD will cause painful urination, which the cat may associate with the litterbox, thereby avoiding it. Therefore, inappropriate elimination may be your first clue that your cat needs medical care. If you ignore it, or, worse yet, choose to punish your cat, the disease can quickly become life-threatening.

When Bubba started peeing on the floor a few years ago, we attributed it to jealousy of another cat, and disregarded it. A few days later my husband came home to find Bubba "sleeping" on our bed, and discovered a lethargic, weak, close-to-death cat. We rushed him to our veterinary clinic 10 miles away, and he remained there for ten days. There was little warning, other than the inappropriate elimination, and had it not been for Asa's symbiotic relationship with Bubba and his sharp eye for the unusual, we would have had a dead kitty in just hours.

Don't whizz there
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-06-2003, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-07-2003, 01:27 AM
cheetahcapri

I can beleive someone would put down a cat just because it pees in the house!! My GOD, have they no hearts!! There are tons of other things that can be done, how really sad!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-07-2003, 10:43 AM

I agree putting the cat down was wrong, We just recently had to give up Mr. Bogie AKAemon Spawn, after 3 almost 4 months of being fixed, he proceeded to get much worse, peeing on the couch, recliner, our bed, the carpet, climbing the 6ft. entertainment center and purposly knocking things down, breaking my collectibles, there were alot more, and it was heart breaking, but he was hubby's cat and well the other day was the last straw, and we tried everything I knew how, and even took advice from 2 different vets and things only got worse
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-08-2003, 11:19 AM
paithan

We have four cats in our house, one of whom is my four year old Maine Coon who is my baby. A few months ago we took in 3 cats on a temporary basis, bringing the total up to 7 cats. Just this week my baby has started peeing all over the house, in corners, and most recently, on the kitchen counter! I don't know if this is from stress from the other cats (it has been about 2 months since we had them), or if it might be a uti. I guess I will bring him to the vets!

Tags
litter box, litter boxes, maine coon