Heart broken - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Heart broken

I'm new here, hi

So almost a year ago I think my sweet kitty Daisy had to be put down... It's been really hard living without a cat. I wake up in the middle of the night and wonder why there isn't a cat sleeping on the bed. I drag some yarn after me and wonder why there isn't a bright eyed creature pouncing on it. I had her for about 12 years. I got her when I was about 4 years old. We grew up together... I miss her so much, she was the sweetest cat alive, and she had ever color imaginable. She had hyperthyroidism... It was horrible watching her cry for food and not be able to gain weight... I'm crying now... I miss having her so much, and I really want to get a kitten to help fill the hole left in my heart. We thought about getting a breeder cat, a Ragamuffin. imperialrags.com That's the breeder. I have met almost all of the past litters, and know almost all the adult cats well. The breed is so sweet and loving. We also thought about getting a cat from a shelter or from Petfinder.com We did get a cat from one of the places once, but the poor thing had diarrhea that night. We found out it wasn't just from the stress and we had to return her... She was a sweet kitty... Let me hold her like a baby... And before that at PetsMart there was a sweet little long haired light colored gray tabby kitten named Geno. He was shy until you held him, then he would purr the day away... I wish we had got him, we were ready, but my brother thought he wasn't cute enough or whatever... I should have got him... And we go to a shelter and looked at cats sometimes. But here's the next issue, the kittens are usually too young, and I have two birds, which is why we don't think getting an adult would be such a good idea... My mom says I need to get rid a bird before we get a cat... I have a budgie and a parretlet. So, I need a lot of advice. Thanks so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 01:47 PM
Newborn Pup

First, I am so sorry for the loss of your cat. I know how hard that is, a cat that was my grandmothers recently died, and we grew up together as well. Cats are an interesting animal, filled with love and care. Have you ever thought of an older kitten, like 8 -12 months? This age is when the cats are already litter box trained, and they have that personality, so you could see what it acts like. I wish you the best of luck, with the new cat, and your birds. A cat 8-12 months you could train it not to be bad with the birds, and you could keep them all! I hope it works!!!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 02:00 PM
Betta Bomb

Sorry for your loss
I always opt to adopt. There are millions of homeless cats and dogs euthanized each year for lack of homes. I'm sure the ragamuffin breeder does a good job or whatever (and they are very cute cats) but why spend all that money on a kitten when there are free or cheap rescues available?! There might be ragdoll/muffin rescues in the shelters too, have a look around.
A cat doesn't need lineage to become your best friend. We rescued our Oliver from an outdoor life, saved him from the miserable cold and a terrible worm infestation. It's a far better feeling to adopt/rescue.
I agree with the above post, an older cat will give you an idea of what the cat will be like :0 Kittens go through their phases ... Good luck. We all know the pain of losing a furry friend. :/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple-Hops View Post
Sorry for your loss
I always opt to adopt. There are millions of homeless cats and dogs euthanized each year for lack of homes. I'm sure the ragamuffin breeder does a good job or whatever (and they are very cute cats) but why spend all that money on a kitten when there are free or cheap rescues available?! There might be ragdoll/muffin rescues in the shelters too, have a look around.
A cat doesn't need lineage to become your best friend. We rescued our Oliver from an outdoor life, saved him from the miserable cold and a terrible worm infestation. It's a far better feeling to adopt/rescue.
I agree with the above post, an older cat will give you an idea of what the cat will be like :0 Kittens go through their phases ... Good luck. We all know the pain of losing a furry friend. :/
I want to get one from a shelter really badly, and I do agree on the older age kitten bit... But the issue is with an older cat, they might attack the birds, and with a younger cat, well the personality isn't really set yet... I don't know, I've never had to pick a cat before... I got my Daisy because my mom saw an add for kittens and picked two up for us (Me and my brother). I needs a kitty. It's so lonely without one...
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 06:49 AM
Playful Pup

I have been there, my cat squeaky was put down at 20 years old approxamatly she was a rescue and the best cat,, she had hypothyroidism and she only lived 2 yrs after putting her on daily meds,, its really hard to look at a little 5lb cat that should weigh 10. I tried everything to gain the weight on her,, we even did plain high fat yoghurt which did really well for her,, but I had to let her go when she stopped eating all together..
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 07:41 AM
Betta Bomb

Well, some cats are surrenders in the shelter and have some background on their charts. If the old owner had dogs, cats or small animals then the cat's chart may list that (to increase the chances of it getting adopted by a multi-pet household.
And listen, Don't rule out training!! When we rescued Oliver he came from a life of obvious outdoor hunting. We saw it immediately in his play. I have a bunny- which he wants to kill. So, they are only allowed to see each other under strict supervision. Your bird is caged, correct? So you can place sticky tape arond the base of the cage to make a new cat icky. As soon as the cat comes home you establish the bird is off limits. There are tonnes of rescued cats who learn to get along with small prey animals. I would never get a kitten just so it learns to be nice around my bunny.
Also, another example was when I moved back home with my mom and sister (who both had cats). I took my bunnies with me and the cats learned their boundaries. I was able to make open top pens which one of the cats jumped in. My curent bunny just grunted and stomped away but my other bunny would pull out dewlap fur and make him fur nests. He was sprayed with water and had the dog after him if he tried anything funny with them.
It can be done! In a house with multiple pets training is required, patience and supervision. If you let the bird free fly, have high up perches and just keep cats out of the room while they fly.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 08:58 AM
Playful Pup

I totally agree hops all it takes is persistence and supervision.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 01:50 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Welcome to Paw-Tal, so sorry too for your loss.
Hope you take more time to look at rescue or shelter house adopt one, lots of options for many cats that has backgrounds so you can choose well.

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- for fun and tips for pets!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 11:19 AM
Newborn Pup

I'm very sorry for your loss and I know what its like as I've lossed many in the past. My recent one was two years ago when my 6 year old calico Taffy suddenly got ill and the vet tried to revive her but couldn't as she was with the vet on an I.V. to get blood work done as she had a severe seizure the night before. I really missed her so much as she meowed alot and it was hard as it was quiet. I had another cat Misty who I still have now. I have personally buried all of my cats and its very hard to do. I have a very close bond with my cats and when they pass away I feel like a part of me is gone with them. I have to get another cat right away as I need that companionship. I got Misty from my local shelter and my dad picked her out. She's very cuddly, sleeps with me and loves to lick my face, hands , feet. She has a very soft meow and purrs gently.
The best thing to do is go to the shelter and check out cats and kittens who have good dispositions and don't bite and have nasty habits. I always get a cat that is already spayed/neutered as its expensive to get that done by a vet. Also make sure the cat has no health issues like allergies , diseases like diabetes etc. I prefer short haired cats as the grooming is easier and you don't have problems with mats in the hair and you can check for ticks, fleas with short haired cats over long haired ones. When I picked Misty up at the shelter she had all her shots and was spayed by the lady who brought her to the shelter for adoption. She found her on her doorstep and got all the vet stuff done and then took her to the shelter. I didn't have to do any vet stuff. I know its hard to pick out a new cat but you'll know when there is a connection between the cat and you when you hold it and play with it for a bit. Take your time as that cat will be with you for a long time. Good luck and you can send me a message or email me if you need more information.

Misty is my Girl and I love her,

Anne

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 02:15 PM
Newborn Pup

Really, hunting is instinct. You can't convince a cat NOT to chase the birds. What you can do is put the bird-feeders very high up and in a very cleared area, so the birds can see the cat coming.

Even better, keep them as Indoor-Only cats. They'll live 3 to 6 years longer than cats that go outside. The won't get lost, killed or hurt that way.

I recommend going to the Petfinder site, & looking for your local cat-adoption organization. Many of them know a lot about their charges' personalities.

Adopt TWO cats. They'll be company for each other when you're not home, and can play together.

There may be a sibling pair, or pair from the same home that would like to be together.

And don't go in with the idea of "young cat... young cat". It never works out that way. I went to adopt a 1-yr-old or so cat for company for the cat at home, and came out with a totally charming 7-year-old ! She was one of the most wonderful cats I've ever had.

"That house is doubly blest / Which to our feline friends gives rest." (The Black Cat, 1941 movie)
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahtnamas42 View Post
Really, hunting is instinct. You can't convince a cat NOT to chase the birds. What you can do is put the bird-feeders very high up and in a very cleared area, so the birds can see the cat coming.

Even better, keep them as Indoor-Only cats. They'll live 3 to 6 years longer than cats that go outside. The won't get lost, killed or hurt that way.

I recommend going to the Petfinder site, & looking for your local cat-adoption organization. Many of them know a lot about their charges' personalities.

Adopt TWO cats. They'll be company for each other when you're not home, and can play together.

There may be a sibling pair, or pair from the same home that would like to be together.

And don't go in with the idea of "young cat... young cat". It never works out that way. I went to adopt a 1-yr-old or so cat for company for the cat at home, and came out with a totally charming 7-year-old ! She was one of the most wonderful cats I've ever had.
My cat Daisy didn't chase the birds, but my brother's cat Clover did. It varies.
The cat will be an indoor cat. We aren't going to get two cats, I already know that. I can only have one. And yes the age thing doesn't always matter.

Tags
cat loss put down sad