heart worm - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
I'm A Blonde At Heart

heart worm

My vet said when i move down to GA I may have to put Trinity on Heart Worm medication. She told me because of the huminity it would be better to be safe then sorry. I was wondering if this is common among the southern east coast states. Also how much would it cost me? Thank you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 07:30 PM
Stinky Liverbrain

I don't know how common it is up in the states, but it is common here. I give my babies Interceptor, which is $20 for a box that lasts 6 months. It's really not that expensive, and worth it, since HW treatment is really hard on the pups and not all of them survive.

Dimaris

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 08:22 PM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

It is VERY common in the Georgia. Heartworm prevention varies depending on what kind, but it is a must.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
I'm A Blonde At Heart

what is reccomend me getting and what would the cost be. I dunno what my living situation is going to be down there weather im a roommate with others or just one other person, i might get another cat but not till im settled and see how trinity is when im at school/work. but this is all depending if i can afford one. I might have to get a used car that will get me from point a to b, with gas prices and everything i want my current baby to happy and healthy before i invest in another pet.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 09:00 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Definitely needed. (In fact, you just reminded me to give Gumbo's pill tonight!)

Here's some additional info on it for you:
http://www.VeterinaryPartner.com/Con...&S=0&C=0&A=593

Stephanie

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
I'm A Blonde At Heart

What are some of the heart worm medication do you guys recomend. One guy told me the stuff he gets is about 500 dollars for 2 months... is that right????

ok and i have to add this might be an exstreamly stupid question but they get it from mosquitos can humans get it too???

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 11:07 PM

No, people don't get it.

No, it doesn't cost that much. I think I paid $24 for 6 months for my cat. I give my animals heartgard plus.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 11:27 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

we give it to all our pets as well I live in Cali and its pretty common around here as well

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
I'm A Blonde At Heart

Thank you for all your help!!! I havnt had to give Lady or Trinity heart worm pills here inwashington. Are they a once a month type pill??

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 09:35 AM

yep, they are monthly.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 10:17 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

I'm really interested to hear all of this, because when I was in Louisiana, I enquired about getting heartworm prevention for Gerona and the vet I was seeing told me that because my girls are indoor cats, it would be a waste of money.

Of course, here in Finland it's not necessary since heartworms are virtually nonexistant and mosquitos don't carry disease here, but that's what the vet in LOUISIANA told me.

It's interesting to hear the varying opinions, though.

And quite frankly, I've always believed: Better safe than sorry ...

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 02:50 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

I got that to...the vet saying its not necessary because shes an indoor cat, they gave me the same speech when I went to get her shots, I do it anyways, my door opens and closes alot and mosquitos here are everywhere...I just wanted to make sure if she ever got out she was as safe as I could make her

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
I'm A Blonde At Heart

My vet never told us we needed to do this up here in Washington. I'm guessing because we dont have a huge mosquito population, I just learned about this when I told my vet that I might be moving to GA, and she told me to be sure to invest in heart worm meds. Trinity doesnt have to be on flea stuff because she never goes outside and doesnt have fleas. I might have to put her on it though when I move back to my parents because the dog brings all sorts of stuff intot he house. I guess I'm lucky.

Tags
indoor cat, indoor cats