Hello from Tiger and Me & our story. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Hello from Tiger and Me & our story.

Hello. I'm britany. My husband and I just got our very first kitty. He is a boy and his name is Tiger. We got him for free, off a local website. When I first got him, the person who had him didn't know if he was a boy or girl. So, I decided to get him anyway. Hes not a small kitty but, hes deffinatly not a full grown cat. Hes just a little bit older of a kitten. So, I take him and put him in my car, and the first thing I noticed right off the bat were those darn nails of his, also that he was very skiddish. Climbing on me while i was driving... I was scared.. So, I met my husband at Petsmart and since he was still very skiddish for me to even touch or hold him, we left him in the car, with the windows cracked but, it wasn't too hot or cold outside so I knew we didn't really have to worry about him. We went inside and got all the things for our Tiger. Food, Litter & pan, collar, and some toys. Well, everything we got was pink... haha. and so, after we checked out we told the lady that we didn't know if he was a boy or girl so we took him in and she told us that he was a boy. GREEEAAATTT!!! Only thing now, we had to take all the pink stuff in and exchange it for boy colors. So, we brought him home and let him check everything out... For a while he stayed in the kitchen. So, we got him some food, and water. And the night went on. He had an accident... uh-oh.. so we had to show him where the litterbox was again. But, other than that hes been doing good. Hes very playful.

I don't think he was greatly taken care of. I think hes skiddish because the family that had them had i believe 2 or 3 boys that were rough with him. And were very loud around him.. Hes scared of loud sounds. So.. slowly are we working with him. I also think they were still giving him milk.. And I can guess hes probably around 2-3 months old.

He hasn't had his shots yet. We are still looking at what shots he needs/should get. We are for sure going to get him neutered, we don't need anymore kittys around here.

Any advice to us new kitty parents?

Here is a picture of him. We are going to get more soon.

Britany.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Proud USMC Wife.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Proud mommie of 2 dogs & Some Fish.
American Bulldog : Chesty.
Chihuahua/Terrier Mix : Beethoven.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 02:24 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Aw Congrats! He's very handsome.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 02:59 PM
RAT ADDICT

Good luck with him.He will come around with time.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 03:58 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Well for one thing..don't give him food that contains cranberries. They're actually toxic to them, despite what 99% of pet food companies will tell you. Cats can't handle Benzoic Acid. Here:

http://www.inchem.org/documents/cica...m#PartNumber:8

Here's a snippet of it a little further down the page:

"
In four cats given diets containing 0 or 1% benzoic acid
(approximately 0 or 450-890 mg/kg body weight), aggression,
hyperaesthesia, and collapse starting 14-16 h after feed uptake were
seen at a dose level equal to 630 mg/kg body weight. The duration of
the syndrome was about 18-176 h, and the mortality rate was 50%."

That information is listed under chapter 8, "EFFECTS ON LABORATORY MAMMALS AND IN VITRO TEST SYSTEMS"

There's also this source:
http://www.inchem.org/documents/jecf...no/v18je04.htm

A snippet from the page(if you type in "cats" in the find option of your web browser, it'll point you right to this paragraph)
"

Outbreaks of poisoning affecting 28 cats have followed ingestion
of meat containing 2.39% benzoic acid. The effects were nervousness,
excitability, and loss of balance and vision. Convulsions occurred and
17 cats either died or were killed. Autopsies showed damage to
intestinal mucosa and liver."

So no matter WHAT pet food companies spill out on their websites, do NOT believe it. Also, don't give Tiger food that contains Flaxseed. It's too harsh a fiber for them to digest, and they don't contain the proper enzymes to metabolize the fatty acids in either Flaxseed or Sunflower Oil.

Proof?

http://grande.nal.usda.gov/ibids/ind...&therow=279873

http://vetmedcenter.com/media/_refac...ismCats_en.pdf

http://www.walthamusa.com/articles/fskin.pdf

The last two open as pdf's, just so you're aware.

I feed my cats Taste of the Wild - Rocky Mountain Feline Formula, because it's the ONLY one I've been able to find so far that doesn't contain cranberries or Flaxseed in some form.

*bows out* Sorry for the long post. But you asked for information, ^_~ PM me if you wish, and I can share more information!

Oh, by the way... the primary source I got these sources from is here:

http://petfoodpitfalls.blogspot.com/...e-content.html

All the links that she includes are right there in blue text. Just click on 'em.

Good luck. He's a cutie!
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Right now, I am feeding him Purina Kitten Chow - Nurturing Formula.

Britany.

Proud USMC Wife.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 04:12 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Ick...REALLY bad stuff. No offense, but it is. It's full of byproducts and allergens. Purina doesn't have an ounce of "nurturing" in it. :/ I can prove it by a list of their ingredients, and a list of sources. :/

My fiance's mom feeds her enormous amount of cats Purina Cat Chow because she refuses to look at any other options to feed them a better food. All the cats on it are sick - and I can tell by looking in their litter boxes. Diarrhea, mushy poo... puking up the kibble as if it was never digested... the list goes on.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 04:37 PM
Part of the Pack

Your kitty is gorgeous. I would have to agree with flickeringhope purina is not that good. Right now we have our new adopted cat on science diet and a mix of vet food but we are going to be changing her and our older cat either to acana or orijen(two of the brands that dont have any grains which cats shouldnt have in their food)
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 04:57 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

yeah and your cat eats twice as much purina because it's not as nutritional but they get twice the fat by doing that.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 05:01 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Also a very good point. The less nutritional the food, the more they have to eat to obtain the proper nutrients. They actually eat less when fed on a higher-rate food. Purina, Eukanuba, Iams, Science Diet...they all contain byproducts. I don't think you want me to discuss what byproducts actually are.. you'll probably feel real sick afterwards. :/
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 05:36 PM
RAT ADDICT

Purina is not the only bad food.Science Diet,Whiskas,Friskies...any of the grocery store foods are bad.However I wanted to add,just because one cat doesn't do well on a certain food does not mean the next cat will.Or vice versa - just because a cat does well on one food,does not mean the next cat will.

I have heard so many stories from cats being sick on the good foods,just like the bad foods.I belong to a couple of cat forums and nutrition is discussed all the time,so I have learned alot from there.

I am actually in the process of finding a new food for my cats.
I also want to add,do not take vet advice when it comes to nutrition seriously.Alot of vets recommend things like Iams and Science Diet,as they have not had proper training in nutrition and in alot of cases just say what the companies tell them to.Unfortunatly in vet school,nutrition is not fully covered.

I would do my own research on nutrition personally.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 06:09 PM
Hello Earthling

Well first off.... CONGRATS on your new addition. He is adorable.

Defiantly change his food, go to an actual pet food store (one that sells only food and supplies). Usually in a pet food store the employees are knowledgeable and will help you find a good food. Of course do you research.

Look for a food that is free of grains, byproducts etc....

Purina, Science Diet, Iams = crap
(as well as foods you can get in the grocery store etc...)

You want yo be feeding him kitten food in till he is 12 months old and then make the gradual change to adult food.

If you have a good vet that is not sponsored by a food company its okay to trust their judgment on food, but again do your own research and talk to others.

Amadeus vet is holistic and advised against certain foods. She also noted that I should continue giving him meat as I have been doing.

Amadeus LOVES boiled chicken (meat,hearts, giblets etc...) which are a great treat because they are free of preservatives etc... It may be something you are interested in trying with Tigger.

When he starts coming around to you, I would suggest you start clipping his nails as soon as possible so that you won't have trouble in the future. I started clipping Amadeus' nails when he was 2 months old and I can now do it with him contently watching (and a lot of the time looking uber adorable).

Its is best to keep him in a room for a few days to weeks, so that you won't have to hunt him down every time and it also helps cut down on accidents in the house since he will be right by his litter box.

Make sure you keep his litter box SUPER clean all the time, scoop a couple times a day. This will keep the smell down and cats HATE using dirty litter boxes and will start to go on the floor.

What type of litter box are you using (covered or uncovered)? And what type of litter?

I personally stay away from clay litters which are dusty, can cause respiratory problems and contain carcinogens that affect you and your cat. Not to mention clay is terrible for the environment.

Using a natural litter might be a little more expensive (depending on where you are) but its better for both of you.

I use Swheat litter with Amadeus which is a wheat based clumping litter.It works well, isn't too, too dusty and helps keep the smell down.

Other natural litters include those made form pine, aspen, soy etc... and chicken feed (although I have heard it makes the room smell like a chicken barn or something like that)

Make sure you get lots of toys and a good scratching post. You want to make sure he has good behavior starting now.

Don't use you hands, feet or other body parts as toys. If he start to play with your hands move his attention to a toy.

Toys don't have to be expensive. Make your own and/or use what you have around the house. Its easy to sew cat toys, and cats love to play with cardboard boxes (Amadeus enjoys ripping his), brown bags, tissues etc....

Good luck with your new kitty, and feel free to PM me if you need any information or help.

post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

His litterbox is uncovered, and we use fresh step litter. Is it bad if i let him play with my feet when hes on top of the blanket and im under it?....because we do that. lol. and i rub him with my feet when hes on the floor and im on the couch.

Also, last night i ate on the floor in the living room and he was trying to eat it too! So everytime he came close to me, I taped him on the head and said 'no, this is not for Tiger.'

Britany.

Proud USMC Wife.
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 08:02 PM
Hello Earthling

I would personally not let him play with any body part, even is they are under covers. Although sometimes I move my feet around under the blankets to get Amadeus to come to me, I don't let him attack my feet or other body part.

Try just saying "NO" in a firm voice without any contact. He may start associating you with being hit (even though you are just tapping him).

This is his learning period and you want to get all his behaviors set.

post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 08:09 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbradley08 View Post
His litterbox is uncovered, and we use fresh step litter. Is it bad if i let him play with my feet when hes on top of the blanket and im under it?....because we do that. lol. and i rub him with my feet when hes on the floor and im on the couch.

Also, last night i ate on the floor in the living room and he was trying to eat it too! So everytime he came close to me, I taped him on the head and said 'no, this is not for Tiger.'
My cats do that too...It isn't really bad, it doesn't matter. I think it's cute.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 08:18 PM
Hello Earthling

Oh and keep power cords and other cords away from him.