Help!!!!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Help!!!!!

I'm having kitty pee pee problems. We've had Gizmo for about 4 years, she was about 4 months old. She's never liked using the litterbox and she's never been consistent. She's gotten progressively worse. We've tried different litters, open boxes, closed boxes, we've got 3 litterboxes in a small house, we clean them very often, we've moved them, we've covered problem areas, we've tried everything the vet suggested... she's still getting worse. My step-mom's at the end of her wits and talking about putting her to sleep... but no one wants that. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanx.

Cowgirls are like barbwire, handle with care.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 09:40 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Can you list the litters you've used? Have you used an enzymatic cleaner where she goes or vinegar? Even if you can't smell the spots, SHE can. Vinegar and water has always worked for me, but there are enzyme cleaners you can buy too.

I'm sure someone else with more experience will come along too. Hope it all works out for ya!

Stephanie

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 09:42 PM
New Title? MEMBER.

Have you tried Feliway?
http://www.vpl.com/cgi-bin/vpl.cgi/1...ml?id=2ib7XHbd

Candice

A friendly forum for pets and their owners!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 11:55 PM
Miss New Booty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade
I'm sure someone else with more experience will come along too.
You didn't mean me did you??

Aww man, I'm sorry you are going through this! I know how bad that smell can be. My kitty Snuggles started doing this when we got a covered litter robot. My vet said it was a behavioral issue with him. You are doing all the right things, too! Hmmm.. I was just going to suggest what Candice said, Feliway!! My vet highly recommended it.
Also, have you ever tried a cat attract litter? We used this and liked it. You can get it at PetSmart, too!

http://www.preciouscat.com/

Has your vet suggested any behavior meds? There are medicines that might help, if it's behavioral, but I would try the feliway first, they even have a plug in!
Are there any other kitties in the house?
Do you know where exactly she is peeing? Snuggles always picks a certain place on the carpet. I use the Simple Solution to clean it, it's supposed to clean any smells and stains, but I'm sure as you know, cat urine is STRONG, I still smell it, too! Vinegar and water is good, too. If your not sure where exactly she is peeing, you can use a black light to find any hidden stains. I've yet to do it actually, scared to even look!
Good luck and I really hope it gets better!

~* Jackie *~

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2005, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

We've tried tidy cat multiple ultra control, scoop away, walmart stuff, johnny cat, you name it... There are 2 other cats in the house and it's gotten to the point were one of the others is following the leader and peeing on the floor too. She pees in the dining room, family room, and one bedroom. Always along a wall or in front of something. We might have to try the feliway stuff, we've dumped vinegar and bought all kindsa expensive take the smell away stuff. I personally think it's a behavioral issue, I think she even poops on the floor too. We've got puppy pads down in all her favorite spots, but she pees on stuff (walls, furniture) and finds other places too. Thank you all for your help!!! My stepmom's hard pressed to keep the smell down for the people, let alone for the cats. Thanks everybody!!

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2005, 02:22 PM
Miss New Booty

OH my goodness! That's awful! Yah, it definitely sounds behavioral to me, too. It sounds like everyone is competing for dominance! The Feliway stuff is supposed to be very, very good for that, too! Urinating, fighting, stress, etc. I would try it! Keep us posted if you do!

Hmm I forgot to ask, but is she fixed? And is she spraying or urinating like a puddle on the floor? (Snuggles just plain peed on the floor, always next to floorboards ofcourse lol)

Wow I hope things get better!

~* Jackie *~

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 07:56 PM

I tried to post a link for a product that is wonderful with any odor problem and is a great additive to any litter but It didnt get posted. It completely removes odors and it is safe. Here it is again www.hero-odors.com. I use the powder for everything now. It is the same material as the litter only finer so it can be used on everything.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 11:54 PM
Miss New Booty

papabear, I see it! Your first 10 posts don't show up right away, that's probably why you didn't see it. Great link, I'm going to have to look at that stuff!!!

~* Jackie *~

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 08:38 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I know exactly how you feel as my male cat has the tendency to not use his litter box when he is in the house either and the smell of cat wee is horrendous and takes ages to shift and it just about drives you to distraction. I have tried everything with him and i put it down to behavioral problems as he doesn't do it all the time he mainly does it when hes not allowed to do something or he is made to move or the other cat smacks him or he is upset in some way plus he was a stray so i don't know what happened to him in the past but at the moment he is behaving so fingers crossed i might be on top of things! He is being neutered this spring which i hope is going to curb the problem somewhat as the wee shouldn't be as pungent plus he shouldn't be as territorial! So i really know how you are feeling at this moment in time

There has been lots of good advice in this thread so i'm not going to offer anymore as i think its all been said but I hope things are better for you and your cat really soon

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

Last edited by Amethystbelle; 02-21-2005 at 08:42 AM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 10:06 PM
Formerly Known as oreos_my_hedgie

i recomend not using the automatic or robot boxes if you are having issues. Our vet told us that alot of cats are afraid of them and they go off while one is in it and scare the bajeeebers out of them. Also just the sound of them cleaning can scare kitties, and stop them from using them

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 10:30 PM
Miss New Booty

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreos_my_hedgie
i recomend not using the automatic or robot boxes if you are having issues. Our vet told us that alot of cats are afraid of them and they go off while one is in it and scare the bajeeebers out of them. Also just the sound of them cleaning can scare kitties, and stop them from using them
Who suggested that? If you are referring to me about using a robot box, we used a Litter Robot, my Ginger and Smokie actually loved it. Snuggles wasn't afraid of it, he went in there, he just didn't like the covered box part of it because he never had used one before. Never had a problem with it moving, making noises, etc. Some cats just don't like to be confined in the covered box, while others only prefer a covered box.

~* Jackie *~

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

She is fixed and it's usually a puddle, but conveniently gets on walls and furniture too. My step-mom's outta town right now and she makes all kittie decisions so everything's on hold til she gets back, but Jade suggested putting carpet in the litter boxes and slowly transitioning to litter ... I think it sounds like a great possibility and I told my step mom all the suggestions over the phone. Oh, we have covered and uncovered boxes. THANK YOU ALL!!! I'm so happy to have so many suggestions and so much support, I can't thank you all enough! And funny enough, the boy cat's the only one we don't have problems with!!! Go figure.

Last edited by damsel911; 02-23-2005 at 01:29 AM.

Tags
litter box, litter boxes, male cat