HELP ASAP PLEASE! Bringing home a nervous kitty - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Question HELP ASAP PLEASE! Bringing home a nervous kitty

Hey Guys!

So my bf and I picked out the kitty we want! We bring her home from getting her spayed TOMORROW so pics will be up soon

I just had a couple bringing-home questions. I have noticed that the kitty is quite nervous and timid sometimes at the shelter, a couple of times trying to hide. She's fine when noise is at a minimum, and I think it may have been that I woke her up to pet her at the shelter today. The people said that she was brought in with another kitty and the day after being brought in they had kittens. They also said when she first arrived she was very standoffish and wouldn't or didn't care for interaction with people. She's obviously a lot better now, but I want to make sure she isn't nervous around us and associates people with love, attention, and goodies.

She's coming tomorrow after getting spayed, and I'm a bit worried about how that will affect her first few days here. I was reading that you should let them only roam around in a small room for a few days and then slowly let them explore more. We were thinking about putting her in the bathroom, because although it is the only bathroom we have (so people will be coming in and out) it has the least risk of her hurting herself. It is also not too stimulating, and hopefully not too scary.

Ok, anyone have any advice on how long we should keep her in there? Like, weeks? or days? or just any advice on that stage would be helpful.

Also, any advice on gaining trust with her? I'm nervous because she's a bit skittish, and on top of that she will be recovering from this surgery.

PLEASE HELP!! Any advice ASAP would be wonderful, as we are picking her up sometime after 3 tomorrow. Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 05:57 PM
Hello Earthling

Congrats!!! How old is she?

When you bring her home defiantly keep her in a room until she settles in more. Going from a small cage to having lots of room can be quiet stressful. Keep her in the room for at least a week and then let her start coming out on her own.

Sit in the room with her and talk quietly. Make sure she sees you putting her food out and just gain her trust.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

They're not quite sure how old, I would guess somewhere between 3 and 5 years old. I like her a lot, she's very independent and I really didn't want a kitty that wouldn't leave you alone ( my friends cat is like that,constantly meowing and such). We're gonna name her Atlas

Do you think the bathroom is an ok place? I think its better than our room, which would be like a jungle in itself coming from those tiny cages in the shelter. Plus I would be less worried to leave her in there by herself...But do you think its ok especially because people will be coming in and out?

I just hope she'll end up being a lovely dovey kitty, but I'm not sure if thats fesable with her past.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 06:53 PM
Hello Earthling

Yep the bathroom should be fine, just make sure that the toilet seat is down and you put all your toothbrushes, products etc... away and out of her reach.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Will do. Can I use bleach products tonight to clean the bathroom?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 07:39 PM
Hello Earthling

Yep just water it down a bit and make sure it is really aired out. If you can smell it don't put kitty in.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Cool. Thanks so much. I'm so excited!!!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

How long should I keep her in there for?

Tags
cat, nervous, new adoption, spay