Help with cat peeing - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Help with cat peeing

My cat Milo is peeing on my bathroom rug recently. He does not have a UTI. This has been going on for over a year...that is the reason I got him from my friend. What else could it be? He is much happier at my house, but has just recently started this. In the past he has peed in front of the litter box a couple of times...twice when my bf left for Pittsburgh for work (he's really attached to him) and once when the litter box wasn't clean enough for him. I scoop the boxes every day so that is not the reason. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 11:42 PM

Territorial reasons?? (perhaps a neighborhood cat in heat??)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

He's completely inside and he's definitely the alpha cat in the house. I'm pretty sure it's him, but it happened again this morning. every time recently has been on the bathroom rugs so I'm going to try going without the rugs and see if that makes a difference. I don't have time to scoop the litter boxes every time they use them! I just scooped the one in the bathroom last night and I just scooped it again right now and it looked like I hadn't scooped it in DAYS.

Could he have problems with his urinary tract and not have a UTI? maybe I should switch them to a urinary tract health food?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 05:25 PM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

I cant tell you why he is doing it but i can help with a solution to stop it! When i first got my 2 kittens Rocky was brilliant at using his litter tray but his brother Alfie who has since moved out was a total pain! He would pee everywhere BUT the littertray so i went out and bought some flash spray in orange flavour and sprayed that where he was peeing and he eventually learnt to use his littertray! The scent of the orange deters them apparently!!

*Carla*
I
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
my animals!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 06:30 PM
Fluffy Chimphead

they don't like the smell of oranges, The other thing you have to make sure you have completely removed the smell or the cat will keep peeing there.

Mum to 1 sweet angel Skyla
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and 3 little Furry monsters Tigger (Wiggers)
, Soxy Butt (toxic)
and Button (Butt Head)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

thanks I'll try the orange spray thing.
It's not the smell cuz it's on linoleum and I used bleach cleaner to clean it up and vinegar. I also washed everything in vinegar and then detergent. plus he pees in a different place each time. for my friend...I think it was the not getting rid of the smell part, but I got milo back
I think it may be more of a "I own you" thing cuz it started when my friend got pregnant and would no longer let him lay on her stomach or sleep with her. He NEEDS to be around people. I mean he sleeps on top of my computer monitor when i'm on here. once the baby was born it got a lot worse so I got him. THen it only happened twice when my boyfriend was away for work and once when I didn't clean the litter box for 2 days, but now....I have no clue.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 10:36 PM
Fluffy Chimphead

could you have done something to upset milo. I know when my cats were upset or jealous they would pee in places other then their litter box.

Mum to 1 sweet angel Skyla
and 3 little Furry monsters Tigger (Wiggers)
, Soxy Butt (toxic)
and Button (Butt Head)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 11:06 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Theres this plug in thing you can buy at petsmart called comfort zone or comfort ease or something like that. It's like a glade plug in and it has phermones that are suppose to put the cat at ease.

*Missy*
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMeTrue View Post
could you have done something to upset milo. I know when my cats were upset or jealous they would pee in places other then their litter box.
wouldn't not suprise me. He is a very spiteful kitty. When my friend and I lived together if she made milo mad he would sit on her dresser, meow until she looked and then one by one throw all of her pictures on the floor. He also threw a bobblehead at me once because I put it on "his" shelf. I know if the past it happened when my boyfriend left for Pittsburgh for the night for his job and when the litterbox wasn't clean enough for him. It hasn't happened in the last couple of days so I have no idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkie1205 View Post
Theres this plug in thing you can buy at petsmart called comfort zone or comfort ease or something like that. It's like a glade plug in and it has phermones that are suppose to put the cat at ease.
Yeah I've seen those and I will probably end up getting one at some point. The nearest PetSmart is over an hour away for me and I don't really have the time to go at this time. Does anyone know if they actually work because they are pretty expensive, but if it prevents the peeing, it's well worth it
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 08:03 AM

As far as the comfort zone working, I think it depends on the kitty. Jane (Formula86), as far as I know, didn't have much luck. There's a long thread on here somewhere with her ordeals with her kitty. It does work with other cats though. The Feliway website gives some percentage of cats they say it works on...even they say it won't work on every cat.

Here is one of Jane's threads...though her situation is slightly different, it does discuss Feliway at one point (and her lack of success with it).

http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f10/s...end-38582.html

Like I said, the Feliway link is in there somewhere, but here is a direct link to the comfort zone website:

Comfort Zone for Cats - Control Destructive Pet Behavior Naturally

Hopefully that will help you decide if it may work in your case.

Good luck with your kitty!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Millie. I haven't put the rugs back down yet because I'm afraid to, and there hasn't been anymore peeing...that I know of. He seems to be happy again and is actually laying on top of my computer monitor now (I have an old monitor...not a thin one) I'm guess the comfort zone stuff would not work on him because nothing works on him. If you squirt him with water he gives you a dirty look and starts cleaning himself. If you yell at him he waits in the shadows and attacks you. If you smack him lightly, once again he waits to attack you or finds something he knows you like and throws it on the floor. He's a very spiteful kitty.
The peeing actually started with my friend because of MANY reasons. This poor cat has been through so much.
1. lived in a bathroom for the first 6 months of his life
2. my friend and I got him...he grew attached to my bf and my dog shadow...hated my friend's bf and his dog
3. she got married and moved him in with the hated bf and dog
4. couple of months later she moved him down to VA in a 9 hour car ride
5. Shortly after the move, she got another dog...Milo was ok with that dog
6. She got pregnant--> Milo no longer allowed in spare room or to sleep with her or lay on her stomach (this cat HAS to be around people at all times and LOVES to cuddle) Peeing started shortly after this time
7. Logan is born and takes all of my friend's time
8.Moved back to PA --> still not allowed in bedroom or with friend
9. Peeing got worse and he was given to me. He is 10 times happier here and I have only had him pee maybe a total of 6 times in the last 3-4 months....but this last time it was several times a day...but since I removed the rugs it hasn't happened so I don't know what i did to make him mad.

Sorry this is so long. Thanks for all your help everyone. I'm still going to look into that feliway stuff though because it may help Millie stop being such a spaz.

Tags
litter box, litter boxes, litter tray