Help, Crazy kitty! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2006, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

Help, Crazy kitty!

My boyfrends aunt has a kitten she found in the walmart parking lot.
it was sweet and tame, but hasnt recently become more playful?
which would be ok, but he played with his claws! she said he liked to attack feet, and when you pick him up to pet him he will roll on his tummy and attack your hand, grabbing it and biting it. She said he doesnt do it all the time, sometimes he will come over and fall asleep in her lap, other times it would come over to be pet and then turn into physco kitty and claw the heck out of your hand.
i need some suggestions to stop this behavior, or she is going to have to give him up cuz she has a 3 year old son.

any suggestions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Furry Family
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2006, 10:59 AM
Guarded by Waffles

That's just a kitten. My cat attacks our feet and loves to play with our hands and yes she uses claws too. It is just acting like it would if it had it's mom to play with. I know it is undesirable but it's jsut a cat being a kitten if that makes any sense

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2006, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

ive never had kittens that acted that way. but then again our kittens always had brothers/sisters to play with.

My Furry Family
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2006, 11:46 AM
Fluffy Chimphead

my cat still attacks feet but only when they are either covered up or ur weraing socks. she uses her claws and i have a few scars on my feet from it. I just tell her to be gentle and she stops using her claws. we started telling her to be gentle and would stop playing with her if she didn't eventually she caught on that if she didn't use her claws she could play longer. Ultimatly it is just being a kitten and playing the only way that it knows how to.

tell ur aunt that as soon as the kitten starts getting rough to be still and tell it to be gentle in a firm but not loud voice if he is still being rough have her put it down she will have to do that alot and eventually the kitten should start being a little more gentle. She is going to have to be patient.

Mum to 1 sweet angel Skyla
and 3 little Furry monsters Tigger (Wiggers)
, Soxy Butt (toxic)
and Button (Butt Head)
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2006, 11:48 AM
Guarded by Waffles

I agree with LuvMeTrue. Xena uses her claws when our feet are covered up and loves to attack. They are just playing the only way they know how and she will have to be patient

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 01:49 PM
Formerly Known as mya_papaya

ozzy attacks my hands too but he bites pretty hard.... hes my little tiger

i love my lil baby sebastien!!!!! almost 11 months old. baby on the way.......... due april 18 2010..... its a boy!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 02:14 PM
Mud
Part of the Pack

i think thats pretty normal, my cat is about 3 or 4 and she still does that. she chases feet and uses her claws and her teeth too. i find it hilarious. she also chases the dogs through the house.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 02:58 PM

Smile

I think you should clip it's claws.That way it can't scratch and you could give it a treat when it's being good.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 03:57 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

lol my cat is 3 and still acts that way...gets me every night when I walk down the hall...or shes oh so sweet while we love her than she gets our hands lol, its just our kitty lol

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 04:06 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

That sounds like extremely normal kitten behavior. You may have not experienced much of it because, like you said, your kittens always had other kittens to play with.

Sometimes they grow out of it, but sometimes not. Just part of being a cat.

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 04:25 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Every kitten I've had has done this We just ride it out until they grow up!
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 06:16 PM
SwC
Part of the Pack

My oldest kitty is 5 and still does this also. Especially when I put my shoes on to leave the house then my ankles are fair bait for teeth and claws. Her way of saying "dont leave" I guess lol. I have plenty of little scars from scratches but all were in play. I keep her nails cut at least weekly and at times I apply the "SoftPaws" nail covers of which they do make a kitten size. Think Petsmart or PetSupermarket also sell thier own brand of them. They work great!!
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 08:59 PM
Fluffy Chimphead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissy
Every kitten I've had has done this We just ride it out until they grow up!
ther eis one problem with this not all kittens gor out of it. it is just apart of being a cat. both mine still attack feet but we managed to get them to be gentle just by telling them to.

Mum to 1 sweet angel Skyla
and 3 little Furry monsters Tigger (Wiggers)
, Soxy Butt (toxic)
and Button (Butt Head)
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 08:42 AM
Aspires to Change Oil

Sounds normal as everyone has said... some grow out of it some do now. It depends on what you do about it and of course the individual cat.

Stop playing with them when they do it, use a stern voice with a short command. Gentle was a good suggestion, "calm" or just 'no" works. At that age they just need to be told and shown (repeatedly... many many times) that it is not okay to play rough like that.

My aunt's cats wrestled with hands but they weren't allowed to get too rough. No breaking skin either (which nippy cats have found the way to pinch it so it hurts bad but never break the skin).

My cat still attacks my feet in socks or under the covers when she can't see its really my feet. (she knows better usually) and she is 11. But there is hope, its just going to take time and persistence and know they may not comipletely grow out of it.

, [username] .
are you new member? have questions?

Feel free to PM or IM me.
Contacts are my profile.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 02:42 PM
Naked Dog Mom

Sebastian was like that when we first got him, too. One of the reasons we first realized we didn't want to keep him was because we got tired of having huge gashes because he did it so much. He doesn't do it so much anymore. The only real thing I can think of is either wait and see if he'll outgrow it, or have him declawed.

My vet uses laser surgery to declaw and it costs about $200. Hence the reason we haven't gotten it done. Not sure how much cheaper it is use regular surgery.

Momma to three pups:

Ein, Pembroke Welsh Corgi (black headed tri) born 7/12/2004
Tucker, golden colored lab mix, rescue - est dob fall 2004
Colleen rough collie (sable and white), rescue - est dob: 2003-2004