Help! I don't know what to make of this! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2004, 02:03 AM Thread Starter

Help! I don't know what to make of this!

There is a cat outside that has been wandering around since yesterday meowing non-stop in my apartment complex. There are a lot of stray cats around here and I thought it was a male cat calling for a mate. Well tonight I heard a cat meowing on my porch, which is weird because I have a private staircase and feral cats are the only ones that come up here to eat, and if I go outside they run away. Well, when I went out there I found a female that is super skinny but has a loose stomach (possibly from kittens?). Anyway, the cat went crazy totally rubbing on me and meowing non-stop, but it was like frantic meowing and it just didn't seem right. I thought it was going to bite me a couple of times, but it didn't. It just kept meowing really, really loud and fast and rubbing all over me. My first thought was, this cat is starving. But when I put food out, it didn't touch it. My second thought was, this cat must have been dumped by its owners recently. But if that is the case, why is it so skinny and feral looking? My third thought was, maybe this cat is in heat? But when I opened my door to get back in, it hissed at my cats like a wild beast. After I went back in it kept meowing like crazy. Its meows are almost like howling and its freaking me out! Now its just sitting on my porch and it won't leave. It won't touch the food either.

You guys know that I am a very compassionate animal lover, but this cat is freaking me out. I was wondering if it could possibly have rabies, but wouldn't it have been more aggressive towards me? What do you guys think? What should I do? I feel sorry for the poor thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2004, 02:10 AM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Female cats in heat can be very vocal. That would be my guess.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2004, 02:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlette
Female cats in heat can be very vocal. That would be my guess.
Really? I have never seen anything like this. I hope thats all it is. She won't leave, she is just hanging out on my porch staring at the door. At first I thought she was just hungry or attention starved, but she seems so frantic, and has been meowing outside since yesterday. She barely saw my cats through the crack in the door and hissed at them like crazy and tried to get in. I hope she is just in heat and is ok.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2004, 06:53 AM

I also think she may be in heat. They are very vocal and sound as if they are howling. They rub a lot on things (or at least the ones I've seen....) and if you touch them on the back (near the tail) they will stand up ready to mate.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2004, 08:35 AM

I remember when Mandy went into heat, and I do not want to revisit it. Ugh! She went into heat and never came out until she was spayed. Double UGH!

That cat sounds like she is in heat. Mandy loved, loved loved rubbing on anything and everything, however if one of my neutered boys went near her she would hiss and spat at them. shrugs
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2004, 11:16 AM
Miss New Booty

Yup I agree, too. Female cats in heat make very loud noises and even howling noises, like you mentioned. I hope everything is ok with her. Did she end up eating anything last night?

~* Jackie *~

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2004, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygurl823
Yup I agree, too. Female cats in heat make very loud noises and even howling noises, like you mentioned. I hope everything is ok with her. Did she end up eating anything last night?
I'm not sure. The food was gone this morning but I'm not sure who ate it. I'm glad that she was probably just in heat. I feel stupid now but I have never seen a cat act so crazy before!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2004, 02:58 PM
Eli
Movin' Up in the Pack

LOL I almost thought that it was doing a lassie, act......I would have followed it whereever it went for awhile.......but the thing bout her being in heat, would make since too. Before Kitty-Butt was spayed, she would yowl at the door to go in, and go out. Sometimes it seemed that she was even more friendly then ever when she was in heat, because she would rub against me and my family. Which she didn't used to. I th ink it takes away some of the pain.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

Well I saw the kitty today and she has calmed down. She was laying on someone's patio and there was a bowl of water next to her so it looks like she is being taken care of. Mike did say she was on our porch this evening when he got home, but she ran away instead of howling and meowing like crazy.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 05:13 AM

Steph I would have to say it sounds like she is in heat, but you mentioned she had a loose stomach! Depending how her teets look and the sagging of her belly it could also be possible that she gave birth to a litter of kittens and that somebody snagged up the kittens and mom was in a frantic state of mind......I only say that because sadly we see that alot around here
I'm glad to hear that she seems to be doing better, and that appears somebody is taking care of her

Tags
animal lover, feral cats, male cat, stray cats