Help With Milo --> The evil one - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Help With Milo --> The evil one

Is it really that bad to have an inside/outside cat? I know everyone here is totally against it, but this sucker is fast and evil! He got out today when I was going to start the car before leaving for work and instantly ran where I couldn't get him. When I came back out he was in front of the steps so I tried to grab him and ended up chasing him around the yard. THEN he rolled over and laid his ears back and hissed at me and tried to claw me with his back claws (he's declawed...not my doing). I ended up with a ton of claw/teeth marks on my right forearm.
He gets out a lot. He will sneak under Shadow so you can't see him get out. The other night he was out in the cold and snow for 2.5 hours because we didn't realize he was gone. He's fully vaccinated and stays around the house and is never out very long (we leave him when we can't catch him because eventually he comes meowing to the front door). I even bought him cat grass thinking that would keep him in, but it didn't work. He's been trying to get out since he was a kitten.
ANYWAYS...my question is, do you think he would be nicer if we just let him get out once in awhile? Maybe stop peeing on the rugs in the house, stop biting and being evil, etc? I really really HATE this cat right now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 11:36 AM
Will It Ever Change?

i supose if he really likes outside ande your area is safe then it wouldn't hurt to let him out?

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

well we live in a trailer court, but we live at the top of the hill where there isn't a lot of traffic. Plus he stays right around the trailer and under the porches. I've found him under the trailer a couple of times, but I've closed that hole, so I don't know what to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 06:44 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

you could maybe get a kennel or something that he could be in? and cat proof it? or my aunt used to put their cat on a harness and tie her out for a while every day its nice. if you are worried about it being safe. but really, i think personally if your cat is neutered even if he gets out and lost he won't add to over population and if he is happier out side as long as he can get in and have shelter for him.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 11:32 PM
Salamander Buffalokisser

I would say try it for a while and see if it helps. I know a lot of people who have cats and let them out. I don't let Kramer out only because I don't trust the drivers here. People always drive way to fast around where I live, and since I don't know where he would go plus it is safer to have him indoors. But if Milo stays by the trailer I don't see no harm in letting him out for a while

Stephanie
Be who you are and say what you feel
Because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind

check out my blog:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 12:01 AM
can't think of one, help

If he has been declawed he should NOT go outside. Declawed cats cannot defend themselves from other animals and cannot get away by climbing when necessary. I have no problems with indoor/outdoor cats if they live in a safe area, although I prefer indoors, BUT when it comes to declawed cats I must say they do not belong outdoors under any circumstances.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 12:52 AM

you could always put in a kitty door?
like a doggie door, my gma has one for the dogs and her cats use it now too they come and go as they please, and come in when they feel cold or are hungry
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 07:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by litlebunnies2 View Post
If he has been declawed he should NOT go outside. Declawed cats cannot defend themselves from other animals and cannot get away by climbing when necessary. I have no problems with indoor/outdoor cats if they live in a safe area, although I prefer indoors, BUT when it comes to declawed cats I must say they do not belong outdoors under any circumstances.
I have to disagree with that. Milo defends himself better now than he ever did with his front claws. Plus the people I used to babysit for all the time when I was younger had a declawed cat that was outside whenever he pleased (they lived in the middle of nowhere) and he would bring home stuff all the time because he still hunted better than any cat I ever knew. And where they lived there were always bear, deer, etc in the yard because they were right next to thousands of acres of state gameland and the nuisance bears were released there. He was always in at night though...which is what Milo would be too. He is never out more than 2 hours before he wants back in.

** I do prefer indoors too, but like I said he does everything possible to run out and then once out he does everything possible to avoid you grabbing him...including almost tearing my arm to shreds. My other two are strictly indoors.

I may try the harness with a leash again because we used to do that sometimes when he was a kitten. I just have to find a harness that will fit him. He's fat (another reason going outside may be beneficial)

Last edited by wellahart; 01-18-2008 at 07:19 AM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

I was going to buy him a harness and 15 foot leash today and my fiance told me not to because he thinks a harness looks stupid and he doesn't want him going out and all.
He is afraid that if we willingly let him out that he will want out all of the time. I can definitely see him doing that, but at the same time I would rather have him safe on a leash than running around where I can't see him. Maybe he will calm down. I just bought them some new catnip mice....we'll see
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 01:38 AM

good luck
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. I don't think it will help, but I can always just keep pouring out the catnip every day. lol it makes him go loopy but then he's really happy

Tags
outdoor cat