Help! My cat is upset by college son's visit home! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Question Help! My cat is upset by college son's visit home!

Our cat has started getting very upset when my son comes home for a weekend visit, from college. This cat used to like him and they got along great, but now she hisses, growls, and hides whenever he is home. He is very upset by this too, because he wants the cat to like him again. My other two cats act normally toward him. Any advice on getting her to welcome him back into the tribe?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 12:09 PM
Part of the Pack

Perhaps letting him be the one to put food down for her or have him toss treats her way. Not sure if it works the same way for cats as it does dogs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 03:26 PM
I am allergic to maths

1.How often does your visit? 2.How does that cat behave towards stangers? 3.How old is the cat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

My son is home every couple of weekends, at least for a day. The cat in question is a 7yr old spayed female, and is generally a little shy of strangers but definitely not aggressive to strangers (no hissing or spitting, stuff like that). It's so odd because the other cats seem to be fine, and last year this cat was fine while he was away at college.... just this fall semester have I seen this behavior. Very unusual!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 08:37 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Happened the same with cat of my mom's friend, the cat just suddenly reacts strange like she hate the husband whose on and off to work every week, and only to him even though they are close. They found out the was sick and behavior change is the sign.

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

Visit -
- for fun and tips for pets!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 10:34 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

That happened to my cat, Cookie. I moved away from NY, to Ohio, and when I came back for a visit, she'd be edgy towards me, because she was upset I left her. One of the last times I came back, I brought my fiance, and she was even more upset. She was intermittenly, growl, hiss, and purr at me, all at the same time. I could barely pet her without wondering if she was next going to slash at me with claws out.

Unfortunately, she may always do that to him. Point is, she must like him a whole bunch, and she's infuriated he's essentially left her. :/
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 07:57 PM
Adolescent Pup

If this is new, strange behavior for this particular cat, I recommend a vet visit. Aggressive behavior changes can be a sign of a underline illness.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 10:32 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

I would suggest a vet visit too because my cat Tia does that, but she's not agressive.
I moved out of my parent's house almost 5 year ago and go visit a few times a year for about a week each time. The first day or 2, Tia doesn't come to me, she runs away when I call her, hides. But after that phase, she's herself again and gives me cuddles and all. It's really to show me she's mad I left.

Tags
strange cat behavior