Help with my friend's cat - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 03:42 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Question Help with my friend's cat

I'm posting this on behalf of a friend, this is what she wrote on her blog and she has asked me for help:

I have a problem. My kitty peed on my old laundry today. Twice. I got after her the first time but I thought maybe it was her kitty box, full or smelly ya know? So we got fresh litter and I stated to scoop and clean... While I did so she promptly repeated the crime. I couldn't believe it! She's never done this before, and then twice in one day? The only thing I can think of is that it must be the litter I put in before. It was the real cheap kind, so I'm guessing she must not like it.

My mother says if it turns out to be a problem I'll either have to break her off it or get rid of her. The latter IS NOT AN OPTION!!! So even though I think this won't happen again I'm going to clean out her box with bleach. Just to make sure it's clean for her, put in all new litter, and get a very strong detergent. And to tell you the truth if it does happen again I won't tell anyone. I'll get after her, clean it up, and keep the love of my life. Harsh love but love all the same. Any tips?

She's really worried so I hope you can make her feel better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 11:26 AM
Part of the Pack

Is the kitty fixed? (spayed) And how old is the kitty? The first thing I would suggest is to take the kitty to the vet to have an UA done where they check the urine to see if there is anything wrong with it. If the kitten peed on any fabric that can't be removed and washed with bleach then I would soak it with either bleach or if that can't happen, with Nature's Miracle. Try cutting off access to the areas that the kitten is peeing on or put litter boxes in that area.

My babies...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 12:40 PM
SwC
Part of the Pack

Once mine reached the age of maturity and wasnt spayed she peed on everything she could particularly my sons clothing or when she got angry. Once I had her spayed the problem was entirely resolved. I would as the previous poster stated definitely have her checked for a urinary tract problem though as the behavior could be a symptom which would most definitely require vet care.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Thanks for your help, I'm passing these messages on and I'll let you know what happens when she gets back to me.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 02:02 PM
Playful Pup

Kitty

I agree i would take the kitty to the vet and have it tested. It could just be marking its territory. I hope it works out for her. I would hate to see anyone have to get rid of there animal!!!

Mother of:

Bear
Cadbury
Sassie

3 Fishies
Louie

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

This is what my friend just wrote:

Thanks so much. She doesn't seem to be in pain or feel sick, no blood, and her urine looks and smells the same. So I think she must just have hated the litter. It's fully changed, wtih crystals as well. And she's been using her box again. She is spayed, so I doubt she's marking her territory but I'll watch it for sure. Definitely moving laundry, but I think you're right about just needing to go the second time. At least I hope so... Anyway, Thankyou Thankyou !!!!

I hope her kitty stays ok and thanks for helping!

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 12:37 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Cats stop using the litter box for a variety of reasons.

Number 1 is a urinary tract infection and/or painful crystals developing.

Other reasons: smelly cat litter (perfumed cat litter is for us NOT the cat), covered litter boxes....some cats are simply afraid to go in or are disgusted with the small, the litter box is too hidden or too exposed, another animal is scaring them when they are using the box etc.

If this is the first time this cat has done this she well deserves a second chance.

Brenda
Caretaker of 2 dobermans,, 1 schnauzer, 5 cats, 3 goats, 1 parrot, 1 bearded dragon lizard, 11 chinchillas.
Rest in peace, Cricket, Casey, Bella, Yank, Chloe and Bones.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Well so far she seems ok, so hopefully there'll be no more problems.

I mean, Fable occasionally pees on the carpet while I clean out his tray but I ignore this as I know he's fine the rest of the time and it is very rare.

And my dog pees everytime a man she knows (except for her dad) walks in the house, I seem to be forever mopping the floor!

Tags
covered litter box, litter box, litter boxes, urinary tract infection, vet care