Help, my kitten is very hyper and scratches a lot. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Help, my kitten is very hyper and scratches a lot.

I love my kitten, she is very lovable and everyone loves her.

However, for some reason, whenever ANYONE picks her up, she totally freaks out and her claws are very sharp.

How can I make her used to being picked up, because sometimes we have to. She is only four months old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 01:53 AM
Aspires to Stupidity

Was she not used to being held before you got her? Was she a farm cat or a stray? For now I would use oven mitts or winter gloves to get her used to being held. After awhile she'll get used to it and shouldn't freak out anymore.

Also if you want you can get Soft Paws. They are rubber nail covers that you glue on. They come in kitten size and are safe for animals. I use them on my adult cats. Here's one of my threads on them if you're interested. http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f10/i...aws-49610.html

The site pretty much answers all questions you'd probably have, but since I have experience with using them feel free to PM me.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 07:52 AM
Hello Earthling

I agree with Nikko use oven mitts to get her use to being picked up and make sure she knows that your going to pick her up.

And look into the soft paws they seem great and are a better solution then declawing.

And get a cat tree of scratching post if you don;t already have one.All cats should have a scratching post.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 12:28 PM
RAT ADDICT

I agree with the others.

She may just not be used to being handled,especially if she was a stray or a rescue.Take it slow and have patience.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 05:06 AM
Newborn Pup

my yougest kitten a half simemise girl done that and the only way i coulg find to stop it was to put her led on her side and hold her there to show tat you are the boss
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 06:20 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I don't think you can really boss around a cat. One that fears to be picked up will not become mellow by bossing it around.

go slow, some cats just don't like to be picked up. get her to sit on your lap and things first.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 09:55 AM
Hello Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdog View Post
my yougest kitten a half simemise girl done that and the only way i coulg find to stop it was to put her led on her side and hold her there to show tat you are the boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendalle View Post
I don't think you can really boss around a cat. One that fears to be picked up will not become mellow by bossing it around.

go slow, some cats just don't like to be picked up. get her to sit on your lap and things first.
Yeah I agtee with Kendalle. You can't boss a cat around. If you scare a cat once it can be hard to get it to trust you.

Working slow is the best methond let the cat come to you, don't force your self on it. Gentle brushing a petting.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 10:49 AM
RAT ADDICT

I have a cat named Bam.
I adopted him in November 2008 and well he never really came around.
He does not like being handled at all.Some cats are like that as mentioned.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 12:19 PM
Newborn Pup

Did you raise this kitten from birth, or did you obtain the kitten from someone else? A lot of times if they freak out like that they have been mistreated in some way when they were very little and they remember the mistreatment. Also, even as it may seem hard to believe, some kittens/cats simply do not like being picked up at all by anyone. Some cats love it and some hate it, each cat is different. I wouldn't worry about it too much for now and just do your best to be nice to her and play with her a lot and see what happens. I have also found that owners in general sometimes are unable to pick up a cat based on the cat's preference... yet if the owners have children sometime later on the cat will allow the child to pick it up and lug it around like a doll with no problem. Cat's want what they want and nothng else, I would just go with it and see what happens.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 03:01 AM
Playful Pup

Not all kittens like to be picked up, also it could be becuase it's young, it might hurt her bones when u pick her up or she is scared of strangers and doesn't like being picked up
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 01:47 AM
Newborn Pup

its the same as my kitten bella she doesnt like to be picked up she always wants to get away from you but if u sit on a chair after awhile she will come and jump up on your lap.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 01:16 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I've met some cats that really hates to be petted, they just didn't like it.

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

Visit -
- for fun and tips for pets!

Tags
kitten scratch